+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A Fair(?) Glance at SW:TOR, from Asono's Boat!

Rift Chaser

Default A Fair(?) Glance at SW:TOR, from Asono's Boat!

Greetings, Rift Community. Some of you know me, most of you do not. I am Asono, I have been in MMO's since they were text based and more authoring communities than MMO's. I've played most of them extensively, and since the advent of WOW Vanilla, i've been a "Hardcore" player (That is, I raid, usually semi-cutting edge, and play a lot, demanding a lot of myself in the game).

I would like to take a moment to share with you a little personal elaboration and opinion on the upcoming SW:TOR game by BiowarEA. I am not against the title, I am not "for" the title; that said, I have pre-ordered, under sheer curiosity of where the storyline goes.

'The Combat System'
    Firstly, the game receives a lot of criticism for its' combat. Yes, it's very "WoW cloned"; it lacks polish and to an extent it lacks any kind of tightness; the combat feels very 'slidey' and lacks any kind of tight feeling. It comes off, at times, more of a platformer/third person action game, than a traditional MMO. That said, this isn't the focus of the game so far as I can see, and it suffices to entertain. The combat isn't "boring", it's not "awful"; it's simply not amazing. It's not a strong point. (Nor is it an amazingly weak point).

'The Storyline'
    Y'know, I usually completely disregard MMORPG storylines and simply bounce, hub to hub, completing the dime-a-dozen gathering/kill quests until I'm max leveled. This is one area where SW:TOR has broken the mold and completely blown me away. The quests are actually QUALITY voice acted, with well paced cutscenes throughout, and variant results/finishings depending on your character's morality/decisions throughout the tasks. These, ultimately, are still "Kill X mob, activate Y object"; but with the thick, syrupy layer of plot, morality, decisionmaking, and diversified rewards, they feel ENGAGING, something that an MMO hasn't done in a long time. Or ever, possibly. Your character genuinely "feels" as if they're developing, at least ten times moreso than something like Rift. You have a semi-linear, plot-driven "Saga" going forth with your character, a tangible goal to move forward to, and a coalescing sense of progress as you go. This is, single handedly, why I went from a "That's going to be awful" to a "I guess i'll give this a go" pre-orderer.

'The Instances'
    Well designed; albeit a little flaky due to the combat being a weaker point in the game, the concept of instancing utilized for SW:TOR plays out well. The social mechanics/systems are well thought out, and the fact that individual morality/group morality is well implimented, and that decisions throughout an instance actually CHANGE the INSTANCE and the PATH YOU GO, will make for a great deal of replayability in my estimation, assuming this design is thoroughly used throughout the lifetime of the product. Again, the instance suffers from the lackluster combat, but is forgivable because of the engaging plot and player interaction with the universe around you.

'The PvP'
    Eh. Nothing much here, saw it a couple times, I think this will have to be judged actually a fair time into the release to have any bearing or accuracy on fairness/balance. Useless speculation would be useless.

I suppose that more or less covers what I've got on the subject. I've just seen a great number of posts/threads/etc on the subject of SW:TOR, and if I were in the shoes of a potential pre-order/hater, i'd want someone to post something like this for my perusal and assistance in understanding what to expect.

*Shrug*
    Disclaimer: I have signed and/or checkboxed NOTHING about ANYTHING for EA/Bioware. I fear not your lawsuits!
    Asono, Guild Leader / Main Tank of <Chaos Legion>
    4/4 River of Souls / 5/5 Greenscale's Blight / 10/11 Hammerknell

In before June

Soulwalker

Default Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiel of harrow View Post
    In before June
    Yea I saw that 2...Oh well at least he tried...

tried means failed and

maybe means no later

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiel of harrow View Post
    In before June
    I agree, lets get this **** rolling yet again.

I think biggest criticism Ive heard about combat is that theres ALOT of skills you need to stay still, it kind of turn the PVP into turn base one. Theres no flow at all.
    Last edited by June; 10-11-2011 at 10:00 PM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    I agree, lets get this **** rolling yet again.

I think biggest criticism Ive heard about combat is that theres ALOT of skills you need to stay still, it kind of turn the PVP into turn base one. Theres no flow at all.
    once again, criticism of PVP in a PVE game... did people learn nothing from what its done to Rift?
    Many have quitted, they are lost almost half of the servers they started. I hop in next MMO for sure. Rift is awesome game but PVP is just crap.
    Lol really now?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mongus View Post
    once again, criticism of PVP in a PVE game... did people learn nothing from what its done to Rift?
    its gonna hurt alot more PVE players than PVP ones. PVE is boring and this kind of combat makes it even more boring. If you ever played AoC it was fun and made PVE actually alot funnier. THis isnt the case in SWTOR.
    Last edited by June; 10-11-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Ascendant

Ive said it before, play the ****ing game before you start **** sucking, MMORPGs can be made in so many different way, and chances Bioware's first get it right are small.

General of Telara

PVE is boring TO ME
    fixed that for you
    Many have quitted, they are lost almost half of the servers they started. I hop in next MMO for sure. Rift is awesome game but PVP is just crap.
    Lol really now?

'The Combat System'
    Firstly, the game receives a lot of criticism for its' combat. Yes, it's very "WoW cloned"; it lacks polish and to an extent it lacks any kind of tightness; the combat feels very 'slidey' and lacks any kind of tight feeling. It comes off, at times, more of a platformer/third person action game, than a traditional MMO. That said, this isn't the focus of the game so far as I can see, and it suffices to entertain. The combat isn't "boring", it's not "awful"; it's simply not amazing. It's not a strong point. (Nor is it an amazingly weak point).

OP care to detail this a bit more.

what do you mean by slidey?
    i dont understand what you mean. explain please.

'The Storyline'
    Y'know, I usually completely disregard MMORPG storylines and simply bounce, hub to hub, completing the dime-a-dozen gathering/kill quests until I'm max leveled. This is one area where SW:TOR has broken the mold and completely blown me away. The quests are actually QUALITY voice acted, with well paced cutscenes throughout, and variant results/finishings depending on your character's morality/decisions throughout the tasks. These, ultimately, are still "Kill X mob, activate Y object"; but with the thick, syrupy layer of plot, morality, decisionmaking, and diversified rewards, they feel ENGAGING, something that an MMO hasn't done in a long time. Or ever, possibly. Your character genuinely "feels" as if they're developing, at least ten times moreso than something like Rift. You have a semi-linear, plot-driven "Saga" going forth with your character, a tangible goal to move forward to, and a coalescing sense of progress as you go. This is, single handedly, why I went from a "That's going to be awful" to a "I guess i'll give this a go" pre-orderer.

hey does these cutscenes slow down the leveling pace?

that concerns me, because players try to get to max level as fast as they can in current MMOs, for a reason. and its not just storyline.

In Most MMO with Levels,, the features are set up to restrict certain levels from doing them. For example, Port Scrion PvP can only be done by level 50s, not level 1-49.

Now in this case for SWTOR, I wouldnt want these cutscenes to slow my leveling down if I have the same restrictions in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongus View Post
    I dont understand where you people keep getting this mess about this game and that game being a PvE game.

People called WoW a PvE game as well, yet it is based on 2 factions going to war against each other, as well as a RTS game with the same thing.

those two factions happen to be the playable factions in the game. so why wouldnt they fight each other? isnt that PvP?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    I dont understand where you people keep getting this mess about this game and that game being a PvE game.

People called WoW a PvE game as well, yet it is based on 2 factions going to war against each other, as well as a RTS game with the same thing.

those two factions happen to be the playable factions in the game. so why wouldnt they fight each other? isnt that PvP?
    Its wow-clone I quarantee. What Bioware is doing differently they also want people start to reroll alts, but main end-game focus is raiding, and PVP is just a feature like in Rift.

See what they're doing, basically every class theres own starter planet, where you cant go back when you leave, so if you want to see all planets you need to reroll alts, also theres system called Legacy System in place to encourage rerolling and it seems one hook is good class stories, but theres alot of crap quest on the way there.
    Last edited by June; 10-11-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Ascendant

What Ive seen about this I think theres definitely more bad than good and it pretty much dies fast but if Bioware ever want to make this succesful, they're in same boat with TW, they need to add raid content frequently to keep this floating.

That is what they promised. http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/27/biow...-fan-feedback/

TW promised and delivered.
    Last edited by June; 10-11-2011 at 11:35 PM.

What Ive seen about this I think theres definitely more bad than good and it pretty much dies fast but if Bioware ever want to make this succesful, they're in same boat with TW, they need to add raid content frequently to keep this floating.

That is what they promised. http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/27/biow...-fan-feedback/

TW promised and delivered.
    share the critism reports please. from my experience with Warhammer and AoC, I know its better and more safe to trust the critics preview before the fan previews

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    share the critism reports please. from my experience with Warhammer and AoC, I know its better and more safe to trust the critics preview before the fan previews
    lol @ you thinking June is an objective opinion, he/she has had his/her mind made up since before screenshots leaked
    Lol really now?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast