+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: What stops people from joining guilds..

Rift Master

Default What stops people from joining guilds..

Just wondering, see alot of complaints that could be resolved if people would group with friends/guildmates.

I have Rotator cuff tendinitis which disallows full upward motion of my arm meaning I can only get my mouse pointer to the lower half of the screen. The invite buttons always pop up just above the halfway mark.

Damn you upper screen invite buttons.

I currently don't have a guild. I like being able to do my own thing on my own time. I wouldn't mind the perks, but I just haven't found a guild that leaves me alone enough for me to enjoy myself. I also can't stand voice chat 99% of the time (I don't want to hear about someone's kids, dog, etc..) and most guilds encourage using it.
    "All we had to do was follow the damn train CJ"

Plane Touched

I hate the part when I log in and they are all like "hi!"

im only interested in guilds that raid, but my current schedule doesnt allow me to raid, so i just dont join a guild

Quote Originally Posted by synrgy View Post
    Just wondering, see alot of complaints that could be resolved if people would group with friends/guildmates.
    Why doesn't everyone just get married? It solves all the hassles of being in the dating world? ;)

Maybe they are a member of a guild already and just rolled up a non-guilded character because they don't want to deal with all the "chatter" that invariably goes along with being in a guild.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

It'd help if you mentioned what the specific complaints are that you think these would resolve.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

To be honest Rift is the first mmo that I haven't felt a need to join a guild.

For me at the moment Rift fulfils a desire in me to step away from everything and do my own thing while still being able to chat with people I meet along the way should I feel so inclined.

Default It's the bank space, silly!

Honestly, it's bank space. I don't want to lose access to my own bank vault. This is the first thing that pops into my head any time I start to get ideas about looking into a guild on at least one character. Then I remember I hate appointment gaming, although that's more guild specific but usually at that point the little raiding demon has been put down once again... ;)

Since I started playing Rift I've been in a not so good guild, a decent raiding guild, guildless, and atm I'm in my own guild. If I feel the need I'm sure getting a guild isn't a problem

Rift Disciple

Default Have no Idea

Casual Guilds are just that... Casual..

No outrageous rules or role call.
    Login when I want.
    They invite to raid and if I can't attend no big deal and if I can they try to accommodate me.
    The members are easy to get along with.
    I think the heavier raiding guilds are bit more tough because once you are raiding it requires a bit more coordination / skill between gamers.

If you need a casual guild, ask for it and you shall receive.

I switched to Threesprings about 3 weeks ago and love it. Name is XcessiveForce on that server.
    Guild is NightWalkers

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    What stops people from joining guilds.
    1 - I dislike levelling with other people (I often play for very short periods (10 mins sometimes), I like to just stop and read something on the internet / do some work, etc - in short I like flexibility and feel obligated if I am doing quests with others), plus when on my rogue playing with another non-rogue spoils my fun.

2 - Rift seems to be very good for non-guilded people with easy ways to do group stuff - a good LFG tool, rifts, warfronts,etc...

3 - I find a lot of guild chat terribly dull and forced, someone else mentioned the constant hi / bye thing...

If I manage to continue playing to 50 then I may well join a guild to do raids, but that is really only the reason. Also by then I'll have list of potentially good guilds and terrible guilds based on the behavior of their members in all the pugs I do.
    Last edited by Flimble; 10-11-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Speaking as a barely 2 week old Rift newb here, I've been considering looking at guilds, but every time I look at my servers Guild options its the same few things that turn me off:

"We have special weekly training events!!!" - Great, but I can't be sure when I can get on, and I'm not all that enthusistic about giving up the time I do get to listen to someone ego trip while I wait for half the expected players to turn up, so we can run around a map once and be educated about the bugbear of the day.

"We have a special charter/rules/mandatory rubbish for you to do or abide by!" - Groovy, you have fun with the 300 page diatribe your guilds wannabe novelist put together as your rules of play. Personnally I'm more impressed with "Have fun, do what you like, dont be rude"

"We raid/pvp x times a week!!!" - Nice, but with the training stuff above, I don't really want to lose valuable gaming time to 'mandatory or your out' events. If I'm on and you have a free slot and I'm up for it, thats great, otherwise you're turning Play time into Work time, and the paychecks just dont cut it.

"Teamspeak/Vent/Mumble" - Use them to enhance your experience, dont depend on them just to have one.

"We have a special in guild ranking system!" - I don't want to "work hard and one day become guild member in charge of the lavatory, laundry closet and associated cleaning products", plus lets face it, far too many guilds in far too many games are less about genuinely earning guild ranks and more about nepotism, and I'm happy to say that as a former clan leader, guild leader, officer, etc etc. Just give me a guild with a couple of trustworthy types with the keys to the ignition and leave it at that.

Sorry, its turned into more of a rant than I had planned... But those are what are turning me off as a new and unashamedly casual player. There are, sadly too many guilds that are visibly about pomp and glory for the leaders, hardcore gameplay for the masses, and zero time or tolerance for players who genuinely just want to log in, chat to some mates, make some pixels die in inventive ways and relax.

Hope it helps anyhoos.
    Last edited by Cythyria; 10-11-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuxa View Post
    Casual Guilds are just that... Casual..

No outrageous rules or role call.
    Login when I want.
    They invite to raid and if I can't attend no big deal and if I can they try to accommodate me.
    The members are easy to get along with.
    I think the heavier raiding guilds are bit more tough because once you are raiding it requires a bit more coordination / skill between gamers.

If you need a casual guild, ask for it and you shall receive.

I switched to Threesprings about 3 weeks ago and love it. Name is XcessiveForce on that server.
    Guild is NightWalkers
    I wish I could find something like this for my play schedule.
    The daemonic are without number, and their legions span the galaxy. But faith does not tire. Should it take us an eternity, the Ordo malleus will find and exterminate them all. - Lord Hephaestos Grudd

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiel of harrow View Post
    I have Rotator cuff tendinitis which disallows full upward motion of my arm meaning I can only get my mouse pointer to the lower half of the screen. The invite buttons always pop up just above the halfway mark.

Damn you upper screen invite buttons.
    Outstanding

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast