+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What was your first computer game PvP experience?

Default What was your first computer game PvP experience?

With all the nerf this, Rogues are OP type threads out there, I thought I'd try a fun thread for a change.

I had my first PvP experience back in 1975. I was in the Alcoa computer room in Fremantle, Western Australia, playing against a programmer who was located in Sydney. We were playing Star Trek, which consisted of 4 "solar systems," the USS Enterprise, and a Klingon bird of prey.

The solar systems were 8x8 maps linked together, and when you started each player was randomly placed in one of the maps. Of course, everybody wanted to play Captain Kirk, so one of the perks the Klingons had was the ability to cloak. That's right, even way back then stealth was an ability we PvPers had to contend with.

Anyway the Enterprise would fly around and use photon torpedo spreads, which you had to work out an arc of degrees to use effectively, to try and knock the Klingon out of stealth, or get hit by the Klingon stealth opener and hope for the best.

I've been hooked on PvP computer games ever since.

Ascendant

Anarchy Online during beta. 2001 I guess. Man, I miss that game.
    Last edited by Vember; 10-10-2011 at 01:10 PM.

I think my first online PvP, or ship v ship, was Starlancer on the Sega Dreamcast.

Quake 2 in '98
    Last edited by Violacea; 10-10-2011 at 01:14 PM.

EQ1, made my first character on a Zek server. I think he got to level 13 before i decided PvE was the way to go in that game.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Adeezha View Post
    I think my first online PvP, or ship v ship, was Starlancer on the Sega Dreamcast.
    I forgot all about Starlancer, that was lots of fun. Tank wars was also good for a laugh, especially when played drunk.

Myth: The Fallen Lords and Myth II: Soulblighter

Bungie's prelude to being bought out by microsoft and starting the Halo franchise. Best RTS ever.

Played till I got the Comet ranking (#1 in world)

Meduza@Deepwood - [YouTube]

Ultima Online when it was released. God I miss that game

Tom Chilton (Kalgan from WoW...) can rot in Hell for adding Age of Shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Oblixt View Post
    Ultima Online when it was released. God I miss that game
    Me too. Fond memories of PvP at the crossroads. It was the best gaming and MMORPG experience I ever had, at least in 1997 and '98. It went downhill after that. One really nice thing about PvP in UO was that everyone could be whatever they wanted, so if a skill combination rocked harder than others, or was just "in", everyone could jump on the bandwagon. Ah well, we'll never get another MMORPG like that, with so much freedom and space. The internet audience today is just too different.

Anyway, UO was my first MMORPG PvP experience (I looted a house master key off of someone, but felt so guilty that I returned it to him!). In general, for me, it was one of those door games in a FidoNet BBS in 1987'ish, but I can't think of the name of it anymore (you build an empire and sent out armies).

UO, release day on japanese shards, no idea what anyone was saying but I enjoyed the pucker factor immensely. Being back to a newbie dagger and a robe on death was true PvP ....

I try to bring pucker factor to Rift pvp, a small % do not understand, meh UO days are gone but pucker factor lives on.....

Quote Originally Posted by Torvax View Post
    Im an R8 Cleric.
    1 Rogue can annihilate 2 healing clerics together-Cross healing doesnt work against a rog. .

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Duvain View Post
    UO, release day on japanese shards, no idea what anyone was saying but I enjoyed the pucker factor immensely. Being back to a newbie dagger and a robe on death was true PvP ....

I try to bring pucker factor to Rift pvp, a small % do not understand, meh UO days are gone but pucker factor lives on.....
    First PVP UO. Best PVP Darkfall launch (Despite it's many problems) Bunch of idiots with swords and bows running around murdering each other for noob gear
    Last edited by Ranik; 10-10-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Plane Walker

Pong.

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
    One really nice thing about PvP in UO was that everyone could be whatever they wanted
    Not to mention the fact you could use NPC Bought gear (what we refer to as "vendor junk" or greys these days) and completely own people because of skill, timing and game knowledge. Those times are long dead.
    Last edited by Oblixt; 10-10-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Oblixt View Post
    Not to mention the fact you could use NPC Bought gear (what we refer to as "vendor junk" or greys these days) and completely own people because of skill, timing and game knowledge. Those times are long dead.
    Unfortunately as soon as it came to PVP it was mages and dexxers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast