Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My review of SWTOR

Default My review of SWTOR

I am posting my unbiased review with comparisons to rift of the beta.

Graphics: Rift has better graphics hands down, TOR went with a cartoony wow like approach which probably will let it be playable on low end pcs. There are numorous graphical glitches, sometimes environments take a half minute or more to spawn.

Sound: TOR has an excellent soundtrack, when it works. Sound effects are what you would expect from star wars and quite good, with exception to space combat (explained under that)

UI: Typical mmo UI and commands.

General Gameplay: VERY railed weith few quests to do and no replayabilty for previously visited zones. Once you finish a world you wont come back. The quests are not original just kill x mobs and collect x items like any other mmo. The game zones are heavily instanced (ala GW or CO), with an empty feeling no matter where you are. The zones are big but nothing worth exploring since the few quests you get take you everywhere. Spawn rates are too slow, with mob density being too light. Everything is a huge currency grind from pve/pvp/space etc.

Crafting: Alot like SWG you tell your companions what to do and they disappear for a while to do your task.

PvP: Utter joke. A couple of warzones and they are only arena type matches like Huttball ( a dumb version of soccer)

Space: Badly done. It is single player instanced only on rails much like X-wing, but lamer. Once you do it once you wont want to even grind it for currency.

Endgame: Nonexistant. One raid that means nothing to progression since once you hit 50 and the final story is done you have nothing more to do. This game's endgame is rerolling a new charcater.

All in all the storyline is great plays like DA/ME, but feels like a one player game the whole way through. I'm thankful I get to test it, but as of right now I'd not recomend it as a future mmo.

Rift Chaser

Thanks for the review. At least it isn't just a "swtor sucks" which is good. Did you get to end game or were these impressions in the starting areas? Personally, I've hated starting areas in some other games I played but once I was out, the world opened.

Few quests, few mobs, empty zones will be a big bummer for me. Sounds like there is no replayability. Oh well, guess I will treat it like a single player game then. From what you are describing, seems like this will be the biggest flop in MMO history. So much hype, so little game. Makes me a sad panda actually....

Quote Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
    Thanks for the review. At least it isn't just a "swtor sucks" which is good. Did you get to end game or were these impressions in the starting areas? Personally, I've hated starting areas in some other games I played but once I was out, the world opened.

Few quests, few mobs, empty zones will be a big bummer for me. Sounds like there is no replayability. Oh well, guess I will treat it like a single player game then. From what you are describing, seems like this will be the biggest flop in MMO history. So much hype, so little game. Makes me a sad panda actually....
    I was trying to be utterly objective, the zones are very nice to look at etc. but once you do the story there is no reason to come back other than to redo a flashpoint (party instance think dungeun) which stays its original level. I am not all the way max but will be shortly. I forgot to add:

Character creation: Rather plain and not a lot of choice, you see your twin often.

As an utterly subjective and non experienced opinion... I am not gonna touch that game with a 10 foot pole.

The multitude of gameplay videos make the game look 12 years old. It is insanely bad graphics imho, with a HUD that looks like its straight out of commander keen PC game days. And a lot of these vids i saw were supposedly running their best gfx potentials trying to showcase the game... right. Sad really, but oh well, less games for me to stay caught up with.

Byriel - Guardians - The Brethren - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 5/5 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - iD 1/8
    Weekend HK PuG! http://brethrenrift.enjin.com/forum/...eekend-hk-runs

Batousi, 50 Warrior ~ Bomah, 50 Cleric ~ Kusanagi, 50 Rogue ~ Fuu, LvLing Mage

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Hellfire View Post
    I was trying to be utterly objective, the zones are very nice to look at etc. but once you do the story there is no reason to come back other than to redo a flashpoint (party instance think dungeun) which stays its original level. I am not all the way max but will be shortly. I forgot to add:

Character creation: Rather plain and not a lot of choice, you see your twin often.
    I had to laugh at the character creation one. Seriously? I'm not in the Star Wars beta but you're comparing it to rift sooo.....every face in rift looks the exact same. Seriously, look at people's faces close up. Everyone has the same face except for hair etc.

I personally like cartoonish graphics, some don't. But Rift still has plenty of graphics bugs that they haven't fixed. Falling through the world in Meridian anyone?

Rift had exactly two different starting zones and after that the leveling is the pretty much the same on both sides. I made one alt, and gave up at level 40 because I couldn't stand leveling anymore.

PvP in Rift is broken.

Endgame oh here we go again. Rift had Greenscale when it came out. Woohoo 1 raid zone oh wait isnt that what you just said about Star Wars?

Seriously Star Wars could be the worst flop ever but this review is anything but unbiased.

I've enjoyed Rift, and it's a decent game but it still has more than its share of glaring problems.

Soulwalker

Default Lovin every minute of it

Best game ever...

SWTOR was born from the success of KOTOR I and II. Both stand alone games and great to play at the times they were released. How this translates over into an MMO, I dont know.

First impressions are lasting ones and the first thing I saw were those cheesy graphics. In an age were 'Force Unleashed' has spectacular graphics, you cant expect players to just accept SWTOR as an a retro-exception.

The SW franchise was awesome during the 90s. Great games were produced with the SW theme, but every since those god-awful prequels were release, these has not been one good SW game to rival X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

Kotor looked like the shining beacon of hope but porting it to an MMO was a mistake in my opinion.

Soulwalker

I too was in the beta. I cancelled my pre-order after playing.

The game plays almost exactly like Kotor, which is what the dev were shooting for. A paraphrased quote, one which I've read several times is "we wanted to make this game Kotor 3,4 5, 6 and on..."
    Well, they succeeded. Which is good, or bad, depending on what you are looking for.

For me, Swotor played like Kotor, but a Kotor where other players could come in and f*ck up your quest by stealing your quest mobs....

Let me be clear, I am not hating, it is a decent game (though the graphics are very dated, odd, considering who is making it and how much money/time they spent), and it really IS just like a Kotor sequel, which is really cool, if you are looking to play a Kotor sequel.

This game will be a hit, there are too many Star Wars fans in the world for it not to be, but its not going to be well received by people looking for a MMORPG. It will be a hit with people who want to play KotOR with other people.

HEY OP

you said

"The game zones are heavily instanced (ala GW or CO)"
    explain this some more please!

I heard the game world was Persistent and Seamless.

whats up?

Soulwalker

Default Confused on the post above me

lol Havent posted since march however you were in the beta um dont think so.. you are having problems with rift from way back when and now comeback and post in the off topic forum. Doesnt sound rigtht to this old man.
    Last edited by SmoothMage; 10-07-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Isn't the art styling based on some animated SW movie?
    I live my life with bold enthusiasm tempered by the hope that when I die it won't be reported in News of the Weird or the Darwin Awards.

Visit the scenic Isle of Langerhans dimension, Faeblight server.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Isn't the art styling based on some animated SW movie?
    It does have a similar look to the Clone Wars animated series.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    HEY OP

you said

explain this some more please!

I heard the game world was Persistent and Seamless.

whats up?
    It sure aint seamless, every time you go from planet to planet, you go to ship and theres loading screen. Ive heard actually theres even individual instances, like all starter planets first 10 level are only for one person. Then some big "social hubs" for hundred of people. Real frankestein is what Im gettting.

Aye, also the story. Class stories are quite amazing what Im hearing, but thats like 20%, 80% is that normal MMO crap, go kill droid, pick up prototype and put it in your *** and sit.

Btw, isnt UI quite ****, as you cant customize it either?
    Last edited by June; 10-07-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothMage View Post
    lol Havent posted since march however you were in the beta um dont think so.. you are having problems with rift from way back when and now comeback and post in the off topic forum. Doesnt sound rigtht to this old man.
    Your post makes no sense. Who are you talking to, and what are you saying?

Quote Originally Posted by HolyHamster View Post
    I had to laugh at the character creation one. Seriously? I'm not in the Star Wars beta but you're comparing it to rift sooo.....every face in rift looks the exact same. Seriously, look at people's faces close up. Everyone has the same face except for hair etc.

I personally like cartoonish graphics, some don't. But Rift still has plenty of graphics bugs that they haven't fixed. Falling through the world in Meridian anyone?

Rift had exactly two different starting zones and after that the leveling is the pretty much the same on both sides. I made one alt, and gave up at level 40 because I couldn't stand leveling anymore.

PvP in Rift is broken.

Endgame oh here we go again. Rift had Greenscale when it came out. Woohoo 1 raid zone oh wait isnt that what you just said about Star Wars?

Seriously Star Wars could be the worst flop ever but this review is anything but unbiased.

I've enjoyed Rift, and it's a decent game but it still has more than its share of glaring problems.

And this post isn't biased, right?
    I'm not one to call out people, but uh... This post reeks of fanboy.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast