+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Secret World

Default The Secret World

this game seem to be gaining much hype lately.

but curious what this hype is all about.

is this MMO fully persistent? is it theme park or Sandbox?

whats the main features that drawing in the attention?

check this out. they have Illuminati

lol.

explain the hype please.

Ascendant

I dont think theres much hype around, of course its made by Funcom it creates little. I havent had much time to check this out but pretty sure I try it sooner or later. Basically its well funded, its modern, horror/dark fantasy world, one day you're killing zombies in Egypt next vampires in London's nightclub sounds pretty cool to me. If it works, you cant go wrong. We will see how it goes, in my opinion Funcom failed too hard with AoC, they never should've released that game, ever. Hell why didnt they just made paid-beta if they were running out of money.
    Last edited by June; 10-07-2011 at 02:42 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    I dont think theres much hype around, of course its made by Funcom it creates little. I havent had much time to check this out but pretty sure I try it sooner or later. Basically its well funded, its modern, horror/dark fantasy world, one day you're killing zombies in Egypt next vampires in London's nightclub sounds pretty cool to me. If it works, you cant go wrong. We will see how it goes, in my opinion Funcom failed too hard with AoC, they never should've released that game, ever. Hell why didnt they just made paid-beta if they were running out of money.
    But perhaps they have learned from their mistake and hopefully not repeat it on Secret World? At least I would hope so. I've heard from a few buddies that AoC is pretty good now. Too bad since the train already left the startion.

The Secret World looks really unique and cool. I've gotten their newletter for a year or so now but haven't heard much more about the game. It does look really interseting though and I may pick it up at some point.

Rift Chaser

Biggest thing that gets me interested in TSW is Ragnar Tørnquist's role as writer/director. He was responsible for The Longest Journey, one of my alltime favorite games, and seems committed to making a fairly unique and story heavy MMO.

Biggest thing that gets me worried about TSW is it's still Funcom. Age of Conan had lots of good ideas and a terrible implementation. It's improved a lot since then but it took a long time for them to correct their mistakes, but that might well have just been a result of being overly ambitious and not completely finishing many aspects before working on a new aspect. At least TSW won't have to go through a 6 month Dreamworld tech update like Aoc did...

In Funcoms defence, they did just delay a pre beta event due to them feeling it isnt ready. I do believe they have have learnt from AoC. Im really looking forward to TSW...
    I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
    R50 Azama - Mage L60 R 13 Optional - Rogue L60 Sardonic - Cleric L50 Snugglepants - Warrior L50 @ Zaviel

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by faye007 View Post
    In Funcoms defence, they did just delay a pre beta event due to them feeling it isnt ready. I do believe they have have learnt from AoC. Im really looking forward to TSW...
    I'm generally optimistic about it, just hoping they have the funds to see this game through to readiness.

does TSW have a persistent world? if so, is it seamless?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    does TSW have a persistent world? if so, is it seamless?
    As far as I know, yes and yes. There was a recent interview about persistent pvp zones and I recall an earlier one where a developer talked about not liking zoning. I'm sure there are some instances though too.

whats the main features that drawing in the attention?
    I am hesitantly excited about The Secret World, mainly because of Funcom and the setting. I didn't play Age of Conan because the IP didn't appeal to me so I don't know what everyone's complaining about, but my main in AO has a little over 300 days played, which is the most I've put into one character in any game. But honestly I don't know if I'd play it at release anyway. Recently I like to wait a little while before joining games and let some kinks get worked out.

The modern day setting should make for great social opportunities and the skill-based system might be interesting. Depends on the details of course. I'm hesitant about subscription + item shop, but other games have had this for a while, and it all depends on the implementation.

Really there's not a lot of information available, so it's difficult to get super hyped about it at this point. The unknown does create it's own hype and hunger, however. I hope there is some real innovation, and even if it isn't a smashing success, the best parts can work their way into other games. But that's what I hope for from every MMORPG release
    Faeblight Defiant Eth Mage Quay

Oh I'm quite interested in this game. I kind of hope it's B2P and not subscription, but I suppose I'll try it out either way. Seems like it will be different and a lot of fun. It's another game that's taking the idea of the traditional mmo and throwing it out the window. Hopefully they have learned from their experience at AoC and won't release the game before it's ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Deneeve View Post
    Oh I'm quite interested in this game. I kind of hope it's B2P and not subscription, but I suppose I'll try it out either way. Seems like it will be different and a lot of fun. It's another game that's taking the idea of the traditional mmo and throwing it out the window. Hopefully they have learned from their experience at AoC and won't release the game before it's ready.
    has the combat been explained?

do everybody fight with guns, or are there some melee weapons as well?

also is it tab target or aim based combat?

I've hardly seen any hype for this game. Not sure where you've seen the hype from.

I love the ideas for the game. I hope they can make the character models a bit better though.

has the combat been explained?

do everybody fight with guns, or are there some melee weapons as well?

also is it tab target or aim based combat?
    There are all sorts of weapons and powers from what I've heard. From the videos I've seen I think it's tab target. Not 100% positive on that though.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMnJD7Dt1GY

Not crazy about the character models, but I suppose since its release is a long way off they could improve that. Just a note, though there are no classes there are roles. Meaning there are tanks, healers, melee dps, ranged dps. Basically it's like everyone is a hybrid capable of anything. What role you are depends on how focus your skill build. But if you enter a dungeon you will need your traditional tank, healer and dps. So that is something it still shares in common with traditional mmos.
    Last edited by Deneeve; 10-07-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deneeve View Post
    There are all sorts of weapons and powers from what I've heard. From the videos I've seen I think it's tab target. Not 100% positive on that though.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMnJD7Dt1GY

Not crazy about the character models, but I suppose since its release is a long way off they could improve that. Just a note, though there are no classes there are roles. Meaning there are tanks, healers, melee dps, ranged dps. Basically it's like everyone is a hybrid capable of anything. What role you are depends on how focus your skill build. But if you enter a dungeon you will need your traditional tank, healer and dps. So that is something it still shares in common with traditional mmos.

OMG!!!!!!11111oneoneoneeleven

that cant possibly happen. that has to be some blind side to that. a Persistent world that big? come on... and those npc look like a boss from a Instance or something.

notice you only see 3-4 players fighting them. That stuff not persistent.

I wouldnt be surprised if the world itself is also instanced. if not,,, than likely we cant explore those full cities. Anet pulled off that hype point in a trailer of their game GW2's city. But truth of it is, most of it in GW2 is not accessible by players. just for show.

likely the same thing here. prove me wrong though

wait

this is a game for xbox 360?

April 2012 is the scheduled release date
    is this just a rumor or any statements on this?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast