+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MMO Conspiracy: SOE is holding Vanguard back so it dont compete with EQ2

Default MMO Conspiracy: SOE is holding Vanguard back so it dont compete with EQ2

MMO Conspiracy: SOE is holding Vanguard back so it dont compete with EQ2

I wanted to hear some of your thoughts on this.

the problem I have with this theory is, the fact that SOE owns both Vanguard and EQ2, so even if they were directly competing with each other, its only 2 choices consumers can make between the two games.

and in ether case, SOE is making money off that consumer.

so why would they purposely hold Vanguard Development back to prevent competition between these two games they own?

Ascendant

MMO rumors are SOE is going to **** up yet another game this time its Planetside 2, and fail Everquest next the wow-clone.
    Last edited by June; 10-06-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    MMO Conspiracy: SOE is holding Vanguard back so it dont compete with EQ2
    This is hardly news. Why else would they have bought it all those years ago?

Imagine that wonderful Vanguard world, those beautiful trees that glisten in the sun and move in the breeze, combined with rich lore and thousands of quests of EverQuest, run with the energy and dedication of the Trion team.. *sigh* I can dream I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Daysy View Post
    This is hardly news. Why else would they have bought it all those years ago?

Imagine that wonderful Vanguard world, those beautiful trees that glisten in the sun and move in the breeze, combined with rich lore and thousands of quests of EverQuest, run with the energy and dedication of the Trion team.. *sigh* I can dream I suppose.
    but why would they do that if they make money off of a consumer that decides to play Vanguard over EQ2

Champion

but why would they do that if they make money off of a consumer that decides to play Vanguard over EQ2
    The reaction of most people when they can't get the thing they want is to choose the one that's nearest to it. So most who would play Vanguard are in EverQuest (I or II). SOE would probably get more customers if they fixed Vanguard, but would they get enough extra income to justify the cost of developing two MMOs instead of one? In any event, have you looked in Vanguard lately? It's surprising to see not only how many people still play it but how many new people there are every day.

Telaran

As you can glean from reading many threads in this forum and others, players are obsessed with playing the "best" game. Just like they want the best spec and the best gear and the currently OP class for PVP, they like to be able to sneer at all their friends for playing inferior games, knowing their fresh level 1 in the "best" game is still better than their friend's max level /played of 300+ days in whatever game they are enamored with.

So, WoW became the de facto game with the most number of players, loved by reviewers, casuals, and hardcores alike and maybe some people hoped Vanguard could draw people from it. Unfortunately, it really didn't and SOE bought it, and at first they hired on a portion of the original staff to maintain it (I don't exactly, maybe a 1/4). As it continued to tank, they relegated it to maintenance mode, with a bare bones staff just to keep it alive. SOE is good at keeping games alive with their station pass and already hosting many games they don't have to devote people full time to just one.

SOE has to choose one of their games to be a flagship. Niche gamers will go where they want, but the players looking for the "best" game want huge populations and bells and whistles. So they choose EQ2. Are the intentionally holding back Vanguard, not really. It's not like they don't want it to be a good game. I'm sure they never look at the proposed changes or updates to Vanguard and veto them based on it making it too cool. But it doesn't have the resources, for development or marketing, to keep up. Evenly distributing those resources would be a kiss of death in a market as competitive as MMORPGs has become, so they have to pick their winner and go all in.
    Last edited by Quay; 10-06-2011 at 07:15 AM.
    Faeblight Defiant Eth Mage Quay

Because they have to pay for both dev teams, even though they're simply moving some players from one game to another at the same price.

This is really, really old news.

So let me get this straight, you think that SOE is holding back a game that almost no one plays in order to promote a different game that almost no one plays?

Did you eat a lot of lead based paint chips when you were a kid?
    I live my life with bold enthusiasm tempered by the hope that when I die it won't be reported in News of the Weird or the Darwin Awards.

Visit the scenic Isle of Langerhans dimension, Faeblight server.

+ Reply to Thread