+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Steve Jobs dead...

Default Steve Jobs dead...

http://www.apple.com/

well...damn.

Shadowlander

So sad. I knew when he stepped down as CEO in August that he must not have been doing well. Nevertheless, it still is somehow shocking that it happened so soon. Like or hate Apple, he was an amazing visionary and I feel very much for his family right now. Very sobering news...the world will not be the same without him.

Shadowlander

Default Unbelievable

RIP Steve. You left this world too soon.

Ascendant

If you have ever used Itunes, a smart phone, or seen a Pixar movie. You may not know it, but you have been touched by Steve Job's genius. Brilliant innovator, brilliant marketer, we have lost a giant (if not the biggest giant) in the tech industry. RIP Steve. You have shaped our world for generations to come.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

R.I.P

Very sad Damn you cancer.
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

Ascendant

R.I.P. Steve. While we were not comrades in the digital revolution I respected your dedication and vision. Your innovation and nurturing of creativity were unparalleled.

R.I.P.

And, Barack Obama's note was actually the best of them all. So ironic, really.

Wow I heard this in the game, but just thought that they were trolling or something. so sad.
    I dont like apple, but can put that aside for another's life

Bluddy shame that he's dead, he'll never get to see his lifes work pan out to the really awesome stuff.

So very sad at Steve Jobs' death, he was a true visionary.

Such a sad day

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    If you have ever used Itunes, a smart phone, or seen a Pixar movie. You may not know it, but you have been touched by Steve Job's genius. Brilliant innovator, brilliant marketer, we have lost a giant (if not the biggest giant) in the tech industry. RIP Steve. You have shaped our world for generations to come.
    Everything you say is true, but it's sad therefore the Company he leaves behind has some very dubious business morals and is more 'evil' than Microsoft ever was and gets away with monopolist practices IBM wasn't allowed to in another era. Whether or not those aspects were down to him or others is something we'll probably never know.
    Last edited by Kerin; 10-05-2011 at 11:31 PM.

General of Telara

Someone said, "considering most people will hear about your death on a device you invented, that's some achievement!"

He seriously changed and influenced the world of technology

R.I.P

Typed from my iPad
    Last edited by Elgarr; 10-05-2011 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    Everything you say is true, but it's sad therefore the Company he leaves behind has some very dubious business morals and is more 'evil' than Microsoft ever was and gets away with monopolist practices IBM wasn't allowed to in another era. Whether or not those aspects were down to him or others is something we'll probably never know.
    wait wait wait people Steve Jobs and Apple didnt invent the Smartphone, nor the MP3 Player, nor the Tablet Computer.

just putting that out there

(RIP]

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    wait wait wait people Steve Jobs and Apple didnt invent the Smartphone, nor the MP3 Player, nor the Tablet Computer.

just putting that out there

(RIP]
    ^This.

Sad for anyone to die, I most sincerely mean that. He did a lot for the industry.

But when I see the press crediting smartphones, aps and basically the modern mobile media to SJ and to Apple, it's completely inaccurate. What SJ and Apple did was hugely market and push what was already there and had been for years, into hands of the masses. Windows smartphones had been evolving for a good few years and arguably did everything better than the much hyped first iphone. The masses flocked around popular models of phone and on the whole ignored the windows platform which was an OS on a phone with a marketplace with a full range of aps to work on the OS.

Good marketing brought about the next trendy phone and it was seen as brand new that this phone had what had been there for years yet on a mobile version of the OS that the majority used at home and at work on PC's anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

It's not just a matter of marketing, though. Yes, MP3 players existed before the iPod. I had a couple of them. I even managed to get them to work, occasionally, for small values of "work". Then I got an iPod, and I could actually use it. I'm not exactly a Luddite or anything. It's just that if I'm doing stuff, I don't want to spend a lot of time thinking about the interface to whatever music I'm listening to. The iPod was revolutionary in a number of ways; among them, I could control it reasonably well without looking at it.

What made Jobs a visionary was that he understood the difference between a list of features, every one of which can be accessed by someone who knows how to get there, and a workable user interface.

Same thing with phones; sure, smart phones existed, but I have a blackberry, and even after a couple of years of improvements to try to match the iPhone's UI, it's still a godawful user interface. The Sidekick wasn't as bad, but it was also nowhere near the usability of the iPhone. What makes the iPhone awesome is that you can hand one to someone who's never used a smartphone before and they can make it do stuff.

Making things accessible is a very significant kind of innovation. I don't always care much about some kinds of accessibility; I'm a programmer, after all, and I like command line interfaces. But I recognize that they matter a lot to making the difference between something that's an interesting proof of concept in a lab and something that can change the way people live their lives.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast