+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: So, who's getting Dark Souls?

Champion

Default So, who's getting Dark Souls?

I know I am. it'll suck me in for at least 3 weeks.

Shadowlander

I was thinking about it...but I'm not so sure now.

The reason being, no pause.

Yes, I'm serious. I have children who, oddly enough, need "things" through out the day. Without being able to pause at will, I would never be able to play through the game.

A smaller grip would be that the magic is based on, well, charges. Not that this would have prevented me from picking up the game, had the aforementioned pause button been included. But it is a small gripe I have with any game that bases its magic off of charges (up yours D&D anything!)

I myself am waiting for the new Oblivion to come out. Only thing I don't like about it is its not an MMO but the content is always good for a game that magnitude.
    Last edited by TexasOutlaw; 10-04-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    Have at me. I can take anything you can give. Real men tank.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TexasOutlaw View Post
    I myself am waiting for the new Oblivion to come out. Only thing I don't like about it is its not an MMO but the content is always good for a game that magnitude.
    Oblivion is the name of TES4, not the game series, which is the Elder Scrolls.
    Its almost akain to saying, you can't wait for the new 'voyager', in refrence to star trek, or you can't wait for the next "los Angelas" in refrence to Driver. :P

and yes, I can't wait for Skyrim Either, thats why I picked up Dark Souls today.
    And it is glorious.

@ snakebite, yea I can definately understand that. A pause would be a great thing in the game simply for convience, though it is possible to find 'safe places' and stay put assuming you don't have kids who like to play with controlls... same arguement could still apply to MMOs like rift though with no pause. (Part of the reason it doesn't let you pause in Dark Souls is the online is intergrated into the gameplay in... a different manner than most people are used to. You can always play offline but that sitll doesnt have a pause mode unfortunately.

As to dark souls and 'charges' or 'uses per day' like in D&D, only thing I can say is, at least from Demons Souls expereince is that Mana did not naturally regen. So when you went into a fight, unless you had mana pots, or a ring that regens very slowly, what you enter is what you had. So you have to use your 'spells' very conservatively. its not like God of War wher eyou just keep spamming crap until it dies. ;)

I cant decide about this and whether to pick it up or just wait for Skyrim.
    I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
    R50 Azama - Mage L60 R 13 Optional - Rogue L60 Sardonic - Cleric L50 Snugglepants - Warrior L50 @ Zaviel

Champion

You can always rent it before you buy, specially if your not sure you'll ever get into it.
    Redbox is now doing console game rentals for $2 a night. (Kicks block busters *** on that front)
    So yea, If you don't like it, your out $2, vs $60. (or if you go gamestop your out.. $10-20? Or whatever the return rate on new-used games is..)

What is the harsh death penalty?
    Even free cost too much now

Plane Touched

Dark Souls or Rage. Maybe both.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
    Dark Souls or Rage. Maybe both.
    Bought Rage yesterday. I've put about 5 hours in, on "Nightmare" difficulty (The hardest available, as I always play on this).

Overall, Rage reminds me of Borderlands blended with a more traditional FPS.

It has RPG-esque elements (Multiple tasks, limited open-world exploration, limited inventory system & upgrades/etc), but not enough of the RPG element in any category to qualify as an RPG.

Pros:
    Graphics are fairly nice, very very smooth gameplay, combat is responsive and nice, enemies react to where they are shot (They will fall down, lean forward and keep shooting with missing legs, they crawl over terrain and interact with doodads/terrain dynamically). Enough pseudo-exploration and openness to create the illusion of freedom/slight non linearity. Note that the game IS lnear; it just struggles to provide the slight ILLUSION of freedom/exploration.

Cons:
    Alot of invisible walls; storyline is lackluster at best (Get task 1, 2, 3, walk to point A for object B then go to point Z, repeat, repeat, repeat). The worst part so far about this title is that it is VERY Easy. I am on "Nightmare" difficulty, and I've yet to even come close to dying. There is no health indicator, it's a lot like the Battlefield games, where your screen 'starts to fade out red' and you hide for a few seconds to 'heal'. This is a majorly fail point in this game for me, as I'm a fan of economic management of your resources/health/ammunition.

I'm getting Dark Souls probably tomorrow or Friday.
    Last edited by Asono; 10-05-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Asono View Post
    Bought Rage yesterday. I've put about 5 hours in, on "Nightmare" difficulty (The hardest available, as I always play on this).

It has RPG-esque elements (Multiple tasks, limited open-world exploration, limited inventory system & upgrades/etc), but not enough of the RPG element in any category to qualify as an RPG.

Pros:
    Graphics are fairly nice, very very smooth gameplay, combat is responsive and nice, enemies react to where they are shot (They will fall down, lean forward and keep shooting with missing legs, they crawl over terrain and interact with doodads/terrain dynamically). Enough pseudo-exploration and openness to create the illusion of freedom/slight non linearity. Note that the game IS lnear; it just struggles to provide the slight ILLUSION of freedom/exploration.

Cons:
    Alot of invisible walls; storyline is lackluster at best (Get task 1, 2, 3, walk to point A for object B then go to point Z, repeat, repeat, repeat). The worst part so far about this title is that it is VERY Easy. I am on "Nightmare" difficulty, and I've yet to even come close to dying. There is no health indicator, it's a lot like the Battlefield games, where your screen 'starts to fade out red' and you hide for a few seconds to 'heal'. This is a majorly fail point in this game for me, as I'm a fan of economic management of your resources/health/ammunition.

Thanks for the review! I've read a few reviews already but you actually locked onto the questions I had and answered them. It actually deterred me from buying it after reading this. I keep buying FPS games and I'm done in six hours, no desire to go back, etc. Especially since you mentioned it's similar to Borderlands sans the RPG elements that gave it replay value. I think I'll just run through Gears 3 again if I really want to blow something up.

I do want to play Dark Souls, and while I love a good challenge, my patience kind of suck. I bought Demon's Souls as the second game on my PS3 and while I appreciated the concept of "OH GOD RUN" every two minutes because "DAMNIT NOT AGAIN" is super appealing or whatever, I about snapped my control in half (I kind of did) and called it a day. It now collects dust, and I feel like my blood pressure has remained healthy since.

So yeah, I'm on the fence. I want a brutal experience but not one that has me punching walls and grinding through my molars. Let me know how it is.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
    Thanks for the review! I've read a few reviews already but you actually locked onto the questions I had and answered them. It actually deterred me from buying it after reading this. I keep buying FPS games and I'm done in six hours, no desire to go back, etc. Especially since you mentioned it's similar to Borderlands sans the RPG elements that gave it replay value. I think I'll just run through Gears 3 again if I really want to blow something up.

I do want to play Dark Souls, and while I love a good challenge, my patience kind of suck. I bought Demon's Souls as the second game on my PS3 and while I appreciated the concept of "OH GOD RUN" every two minutes because "DAMNIT NOT AGAIN" is super appealing or whatever, I about snapped my control in half (I kind of did) and called it a day. It now collects dust, and I feel like my blood pressure has remained healthy since.

So yeah, I'm on the fence. I want a brutal experience but not one that has me punching walls and grinding through my molars. Let me know how it is.

I'm glad my review was of some use. I'm one of those people who disregards the hell out of Metacritic/"Reviewing Companies" etc, because I feel they're driven by market incentive, bribery, and generally don't share my tastes as an older gamer of a dead generation of gaming.

Honestly, Rage is worth a playthrough most likely, but only once it's down to the lower price point of maybe 20-30$. If you like, i'll write up a more thorough review here as I progress/complete it.

I'll also post a review on Dark Souls in the OT Forum once i've got my hands on it for a while and have had a chance to play it. I never played Demons Souls(?), but I've read that it was the spiritual origin of Dark Souls. We'll see.

Wasn't a fan of Gears 3, either. I mean, yes, it's an acceptable tow-the-line-blow-things-up shooter. No, it's really nothing special. The multiplayer was fun for about 2 hours. I'd like more games in the spirit of the original Half-Life.

Yeah thats the name of it. Next time I will just walk over and get one of the games and look at the title on the box. Sorry I had a brain fart and couldn't remember The Elder Scrolls so I stand corrected and meant no offense.
    Have at me. I can take anything you can give. Real men tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    What is the harsh death penalty?
    well if its like Demon Soul (the first game) you lose all your Money/EXP you was holding, when you die. Forcing you to go back to that location to pick it up. but if you died on the way, its lost forever.

this could be very harsh, simply because you have no bank to store the money/exp, so this mean you had to grind out lots of it (due to inflation rate of leveling up), and you had to hold it all with you at all times, meaning a single death from something random happening, could lead you to losing that hard earned work forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Asono View Post

Pros:

Cons:

hey explain this open world thing I been hearing about some more please.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    well if its like Demon Soul (the first game) you lose all your Money/EXP you was holding, when you die. Forcing you to go back to that location to pick it up. but if you died on the way, its lost forever.

this could be very harsh, simply because you have no bank to store the money/exp, so this mean you had to grind out lots of it (due to inflation rate of leveling up), and you had to hold it all with you at all times, meaning a single death from something random happening, could lead you to losing that hard earned work forever.
    Pretty much true, In some areas, Dark Souls is Easier than Demon Souls, but in others, its Harder.
    There is no 'money', there is only Souls.
    You can buy a 'level 'with Souls (Exp)
    Or you can buy Items with Souls (money)

Your levels are litterally your attribute points.
    +1 strength = 1 level
    +1 int, = 1 level.
    +5 Dex = 5 Levels.
    ect
    Thats why, the game has a level cap of 999. (litterally maxed stats)
    Each 'level' requires an increased amount of souls to level up.
    i'm around 14, and its already near 3k Souls per 'level' When you hit around 80, it starts to get up to around 100k per level.
    Past 100? Your looking at around 500k-1M.

As for death?
    If you die, all the souls you had, are gone when you respawn. There is no Reload.
    So you have to run back, pick up yoru souls, and continue where you left off.
    If you die before picking up your lost souls, Your previous souls are lost forever. But you can still go back and get the souls you accumilated between that.

If you fall of a ledge and die, The body is at the location before you fell.

As for item storage.
    They include that in Dark Souls.

Infact, it is possible to 'store' souls, now that they have the 'bank' but not in the sense youc an store souls you have on you in it.
    You can only do it, by litterally 'buying' items, storing them. And then reselling them (to specific merchants) at or near what it cost to buy them for. Thus you can 'prevent' massive soul loss by storing items, as Items are not lost upon death.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast