+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: computer help with temp

Default computer help with temp

*** WARNING I DONT KNOW **** ABOUT COMPUTERS *****(for the most part)

Well i run a gtx 470 I idle at 40c , when I have the game maxed out i can get up to 90c. Ive read that the card just runs that hot all the time so i decided to add some fans.

My problem is though havening a fan directly on top of the gpu can mess the air flow up inside the gpu. .?
    The Fan in question is a pci slot fan that is supposed to suck air out into the exhaust in he back

Its not that big of a problem since it is winter, but during the summer it can get pretty hot where I stay.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1-12200550.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1-12200530.jpg

As you can see there is very little space in between the gpu and the fan.

I ran MSI KOMBUSTOR with direct 3d10, 1680x1050 .aa= 16x CSAA and full screen.
    With out the slot fan it was 110 fps with about 80c max.
    With the slot fan it was 110 fps with about 71 c man.
    I had my gpu fan run at 75%.

Any thoughts or comments on this being a good idea, or if it possible to mess up my gpu.

Here is the rest of my computer info if it makes a difference,

CPU = QuadCore Intel Core i7 930, 2933 MHz (22 x 133)

Video Adapter= NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (1280 MB)

Motherboard=Asus P6X58D Premium (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 6 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

windows 7 x64 bit with 12 gigs of ram( on sale for $100 total, figured might as well)

and my case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119197 i added a 200mm side fan
    Last edited by zaco; 01-12-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Is that your PSU at the bottom? The thing with the *exhaust* fan pointed directly at your video card? Not sure about the other things, but the PSU exhaust going that way is a big "no no" in my book. Check to see if you can rotate it 180* and have the exhaust come out the bottom of your case.
    "By the data to date, there is only one animal in the Galaxy dangerous to man man himself. So he must supply his own indispensable competition. He has no enemy to help him." - Lazarus Long

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam_Izumi View Post
    Is that your PSU at the bottom? The thing with the *exhaust* fan pointed directly at your video card? Not sure about the other things, but the PSU exhaust going that way is a big "no no" in my book. Check to see if you can rotate it 180* and have the exhaust come out the bottom of your case.
    the psu exhaust should be going out the back, i never feel any air going out of the fan towards the gpu
    Last edited by zaco; 01-12-2011 at 05:57 PM.

bump................

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by zaco View Post
    *** WARNING I DONT KNOW **** ABOUT COMPUTERS *****(for the most part)

Well i run a gtx 470 I idle at 40c , when I have the game maxed out i can get up to 90c. Ive read that the card just runs that hot all the time so i decided to add some fans.

My problem is though havening a fan directly on top of the gpu can mess the air flow up inside the gpu. .?
    The Fan in question is a pci slot fan that is supposed to suck air out into the exhaust in he back

Its not that big of a problem since it is winter, but during the summer it can get pretty hot where I stay.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1-12200550.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1-12200530.jpg

As you can see there is very little space in between the gpu and the fan.

I ran MSI KOMBUSTOR with direct 3d10, 1680x1050 .aa= 16x CSAA and full screen.
    With out the slot fan it was 110 fps with about 80c max.
    With the slot fan it was 110 fps with about 71 c man.
    I had my gpu fan run at 75%.

Any thoughts or comments on this being a good idea, or if it possible to mess up my gpu.

Here is the rest of my computer info if it makes a difference,

CPU = QuadCore Intel Core i7 930, 2933 MHz (22 x 133)

Video Adapter= NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (1280 MB)

Motherboard=Asus P6X58D Premium (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 6 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

windows 7 x64 bit with 12 gigs of ram( on sale for $100 total, figured might as well)

and my case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119197 i added a 200mm side fan

my advice: get an aftermarket cooler for your GPU and change the stock one out.

Baring that can you pop a full side of the case off picture from further back so I can get a better idea of the total case layout?

the air flow is good for the case , the only problem is the card, after messing around with it with bfbc2 maxed i can keep the fan at70% and keep the card around 70-75c . Im just wondering if havging a fan right on top of the card can mess with the gpu's airflow( not the flow getting to the card).
    not much a problem now since its 50 degrees in my room most of the time but come summer time its gonna suck.
    And i though about after market coolers fans for my gpu but it seams it would void the warranty

Wires are normally not this bad looking
    [IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/241v3ew.jpg[/IMG]

I wouldn't mess with anything (including adding that extra fan) unless you KNOW something is wrong. So far everything in your post seems to indicate you think, maybe, kinda, possibly it's running hot.

Back in the day the Nvidia drivers had a temperature monitor. It showed where your card was, and lines for 'cool' and 'danger'. Unless you are hitting above or even near that danger line I wouldn't mess with it at all. I don't know the current temps, as those differ between models, but I do know that Nvidia chips run hotter than AMD.

At the very least run some research and check some websites and see what they reference for temperatures. Tom's may be a good place to look for articles that would reference your card's 'normal' range.

http://www.tomshardware.com/
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Shield of Telara

the air flow is good for the case , the only problem is the card, after messing around with it with bfbc2 maxed i can keep the fan at70% and keep the card around 70-75c . Im just wondering if havging a fan right on top of the card can mess with the gpu's airflow( not the flow getting to the card).
    not much a problem now since its 50 degrees in my room most of the time but come summer time its gonna suck.
    And i though about after market coolers fans for my gpu but it seams it would void the warranty

Wires are normally not this bad looking
    [IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/241v3ew.jpg[/IMG]
    70-75C at high load with 70% fan setting? sounds good to me. the thing I would actually be worried about with the fan where you have it is the CPU air flow. That is the more likely spot to get air flow problems because you have a fan above it, behind where the intake is, and a fan below it sucking out. I don't think you will have issues.

Honestly I used to run my 8800GT 512 and 8800 GTS 320 and the 9800 GTX fan at 90-100% for good cooling results. My only other option was changing out the stock fan set because they all used thermal pads instead of thermal compound when they attached the heat sinks.

My best suggestion is to keep that fan set to about 65-70% for now and then crank it to 100% in the summer if you notice heating issues. If that still doesn't keep it cool enough you know what I am going to say.

OH and one more thing: clean up the wires OMG. Ok sorry that is one of my huge pet peeves when I build a system. I have to try and hide or nicely route all the wires, especially un-used ones >.<
    Last edited by Maverick494; 01-13-2011 at 10:21 PM.

thanks for the help guys. yah when i was putting it together i was worried about that but the cpu stay around 30c all the time. and at the view the pic is taken then is a 200mm fan blowing on the gpu and psu. just added that a couple of days ago and seems to help

and i had my wires all nice and neat , i took **** out to clean it and jsut never really put them back into place. they are not messing with the air flow and im not seeing them so i dont care lol , thanks for the advice though wires used to piss me off too
    Last edited by zaco; 01-13-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Shield of Telara

thanks for the help guys. yah when i was putting it together i was worried about that but the cpu stay around 30c all the time. and at the view the pic is taken then is a 200mm fan blowing on the gpu and psu. just added that a couple of days ago and seems to help

and i had my wires all nice and neat , i took **** out to clean it and jsut never really put them back into place. they are not messing with the air flow and im not seeing them so i dont care lol , thanks for the advice though wires used to piss me off too
    One of these days someone is going to build a case with the wires more or less built in with some room for flexibility and the insertion of a modular PSU that you then only plug in short jumpers that attach the PSU to only those wires you are using.
    Last edited by Maverick494; 01-13-2011 at 11:27 PM.

the psu exhaust should be going out the back, i never feel any air going out of the fan towards the gpu
    PSUs exhaust out the back, that fan is an intake fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam_Izumi View Post
    Ok, first off the maximum rated temperature for that card is 105 degrees Celsius., not that you want to be at or near that of course, since your goal is not to boil water eh!

Second, just to clarify Tristam is partially correct. The way it is now positioned does not introduce hot air, it does however, draw air from the case and somewhat competes with the gpu for that air. The mesh on the bottom of that HAF (and other models that employ a similar design, like my AZZA), is there to allow the PS to me inverted, draw cool air into it and exhaust it, without adding any heat nor pulling any air from the positive airflow the case was designed for; that is intake at the front and airflow through and out the top and behind the cpu. When heating is still a problem or you want more cooling, that additional mesh in front of the PS is there for mounting a 140mm fan to induct more air , directing it upwards toward the video card.

Third, that case has the option (unlike my previous HAF 932) of mounting a blower or exhaust fan on that vertical slot, right over the video card, near it's front. I think it would be a better option for you, but try the following and see.

Mount the blower on that slot and invert the power supply. That will cost little time and you can make a fast comparison. I always mount the PS down to capture the colder floor air in cases such as these. But I do remember when you had no option but to place a power supply at the top, with the fan mounted downwards. Ah, the bad old days of very hot Pentiums where using the power supply fan to help exhaust was part of building.

Try this and see if you get a drop in case and gpu temperatures.
    Last edited by Grymmoire; 01-14-2011 at 06:26 AM.
    "You're simply jealous since the voices speak only to me."

Quote Originally Posted by Grymmoire View Post
    Ok, first off the maximum rated temperature for that card is 105 degrees Celsius., not that you want to be at or near that of course, since your goal is not to boil water eh!

Second, just to clarify Tristam is partially correct. The way it is now positioned does not introduce hot air, it does however, draw air from the case and somewhat competes with the gpu for that air. The mesh on the bottom of that HAF (and other models that employ a similar design, like my AZZA), is there to allow the PS to me inverted, draw cool air into it and exhaust it, without adding any heat nor pulling any air from the positive airflow the case was designed for; that is intake at the front and airflow through and out the top and behind the cpu. When heating is still a problem or you want more cooling, that additional mesh in front of the PS is there for mounting a 140mm fan to induct more air , directing it upwards toward the video card.

Third, that case has the option (unlike my previous HAF 932) of mounting a blower or exhaust fan on that vertical slot, right over the video card, near it's front. I think it would be a better option for you, but try the following and see.

Mount the blower on that slot and invert the power supply. That will cost little time and you can make a fast comparison. I always mount the PS down to capture the colder floor air in cases such as these. But I do remember when you had no option but to place a power supply at the top, with the fan mounted downwards. Ah, the bad old days of very hot Pentiums where using the power supply fan to help exhaust was part of building.

Try this and see if you get a drop in case and gpu temperatures.
    i tried the blower in the vertical spot and it was fighting with the 200m fan behind it. I really dont think the psu and gpu are fighting for air at all. with the one fan in the front and the one to the side

i was thinking of flipping my psu but it would get almost zero air with the fan facing the mount, where my computer is it lays pretty flat i have nothing to prop it up.

all great advice thanks guys

Shadowlander

silly and i may have missed this but. dust builds up in the card and can add some heat.. over 90c you prolly gonna see some chop if it gets crazy. bfbc2 for me runs at 74c with a similar setup.

Kat

the GPU's heat sink & fan are underneath the card. it draws in air from below, and vents it out the back.

your slot fan above the gpu will not in any way interfere with that airflow.

the only time you might have a problem with a 'helper' slot fan is if you mounted it below the gpu, facing upwards. then... the slot fan might compete with the gpu fan for the same air. but that is not the case in your setup.

leave the slot fan in, it's clearly helping. and try to keep your gpu in the 70's. 'max rated temp' means it starts to melt at that temperature... I have not found either silicon chips or circuit boards to live long if they get over 90C much. if it gets too hot in the summer, you might have to look at an aftermarket fan & heat sink for the gpu, to mount on the card. but it seems like your slot fan is keeping it in an acceptable temp range right now.

(if it does get above 80C in the summer, and you're feeling cheap, or broke, you can underclock your graphics card a little bit to cool it down too)

oh, also, if you get a more powerful case fan in front, and/or add an 'intake' side case fan (or 5.25 slot intake fan, etc.) you can basically eliminate any concern over the GPU and PSU fighting for air. just make more air available than they need, a slight overpressure, and everything will run a bit cooler. Or you could do what I do and leave the side panel off... ahh fresh air
    Last edited by Kat; 01-14-2011 at 10:16 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast