+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone Here Never Played WoW?

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple Doba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    85

    Default Anyone Here Never Played WoW?

    Anyone here that has never played WoW? I downloaded the trial during RIFT. And I could not play it. the graphics turned me off and the gameplay was boring.

    Sometimes I feel I missed a generation by not playing WoW with all these people saying "Remember back in __ expansion with ___ boss" It sometimes gets very annoying not knowing what the hell they are saying and they just wont shut up about it.

    But anyways anyone here that has never played WoW, or has and just could not play it?
    Doba Level 50 Cleric
    Tekk Level 50 Rogue

  2. #2
    Ascendant tro44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,999

  3. #3
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Much like you I tried it out and could not get into it. I played for maybe a week, really tried to give it a fair shake but it just felt slow and clunky to me and the graphics did not help either. This was probably 2-3 years ago before they went the free to 20 route, so I bought the game and had the 30 days of free time and hardly used any of it.

    I know what you mean, I feel like I missed the boat by not taking part in this massive game played by millions but it just wasn't for me, different stroke for different folks I guess.

    ~Goat~

  4. #4
    Ascendant Satiar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Diego, Cali
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    I never did.

    I wish I had, but never had the time.
    Officer of Legacy, Keenblade.

    Prestige Rank 8 -- 4/10 HK -- Rogue

  5. #5
    Plane Walker Typrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    453

    Default

    I never played it either and it makes discussions on MMOs really difficult sometimes so I have to search and look up a lot of what people are talking about. As an example When general chat was out of hand a few times I'd hear people say "oh this is barrens chat now!" or something along those lines and I'm thinking "but.... there's a lot of people talking, I'm confused" thinking it's sarcasm when apparently after asking what said person meant by it Barrens was a zone in WoW. I'd watch a friend play it and it looked interesting however the atmosphere and story just didn't seem to fit for what I was looking for. I instead chose Warhammer which I lvoed for a good while, but Mythic and EA dropped the ball on it sadly.(Hopefully Dark Millennium will have a better treatment)

    I've thought of trying it myself, but just never had the time or interest to really do so.
    Last edited by Typrop; 10-01-2011 at 02:52 PM.

    "Creation is a paradox. It hatches from its opposite."—Olka, Mistmeadow witch
    CGhub Portfolio | My Sketchbook | RIFT related sketches and art | Rift Gear and wardrobe concept sketches

  6. #6
    Ascendant tro44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typrop View Post
    I never played it either and it makes discussions on MMOs really difficult sometimes so I have to search and look up a lot of what people are talking about. As an example When general chat was out of hand a few times I'd hear people say "oh this is barrens chat now!" or something along those lines and I'm thinking "but.... there's a lot of people talking, I'm confused" thinking it's sarcasm when apparently after asking what said person meant by it Barrens was a zone in WoW. I'd watch a friend play it and it looked interesting however the atmosphere and story just didn't seem to fit for what I was looking for. I instead chose Warhammer which I lvoed for a good while, but Mythic and EA dropped the ball on it sadly.(Hopefully Dark Millennium will have a better treatment)

    I've thought of trying it myself, but just never had the time or interest to really do so.
    Wow you don't like WoW lore but like Warhammer lore? I would greatly suggest you check out the wiki. Wow has a huge lore point.

    Also would suggest playing with a friend if you have a hard time making in game friends right away. PvP in WoW is awesome. You ever hear people in mmorpg discussions cry about missing Old AV?

    Well if so, research why. AV was so awesome.
    Of all the mmorpg that are similar to WoW, none of them have ever tried to clone Old AV for some reason. That was awesome epic RvR. Too bad Blizzard killed it so Arena would be made more popular.

    Also dungeons in Vanilla WoW were epic!!!!! Blackrock depths,,,, sunken temple,,,gnomergan,,,deadmines,,,,

    QQ I miss WoW.

    WoW has had one of the best and most smoothest combat I have ever seen in a MMO. Show me a combat system more smooth than WoW

  7. #7
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    I tried it when it was launched didnt like it. Then they actually sent me a copy of Burning Crusade I tried again but 2 hour I quitted. I thikn it comes down to cartoon graphics. Its same as watching some disney money.
    Last edited by June; 10-01-2011 at 10:56 PM.

  8. #8
    Plane Walker Typrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    Wow you don't like WoW lore but like Warhammer lore? I would greatly suggest you check out the wiki. Wow has a huge lore point.

    Also would suggest playing with a friend if you have a hard time making in game friends right away. PvP in WoW is awesome. You ever hear people in mmorpg discussions cry about missing Old AV?

    Well if so, research why. AV was so awesome.
    Of all the mmorpg that are similar to WoW, none of them have ever tried to clone Old AV for some reason. That was awesome epic RvR. Too bad Blizzard killed it so Arena would be made more popular.

    Also dungeons in Vanilla WoW were epic!!!!! Blackrock depths,,,, sunken temple,,,gnomergan,,,deadmines,,,,

    QQ I miss WoW.

    WoW has had one of the best and most smoothest combat I have ever seen in a MMO. Show me a combat system more smooth than WoW
    In response to the story comment I have looked at it and I still prefer Warhammer over Warcraft. In addition I prefer the atmosphere of Warhammer which has more "darkness" and grit to it. I didn't care for the story of Age of Reckoning in particular compared to the lore of warhammer overall itself, but felt they were close to if not spot on with the atmosphere of the game which I felt comfortable with. If EA and Mythic didn't drop the ball on game-play I would've remained playing my DPZealot. I enjoyed my time there though and check in on it every now and then.

    As for Combat Champions Online and Dragon Nest are my favourites so far.


    But it all comes down to preference really.(Although I met my fiance in warhammer who also turned out to be a table top player so it has a special place in my heart)

    "Creation is a paradox. It hatches from its opposite."—Olka, Mistmeadow witch
    CGhub Portfolio | My Sketchbook | RIFT related sketches and art | Rift Gear and wardrobe concept sketches

  9. #9
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Cartoon graphics were an attempt to stop the game from aging so much, to be fair it has worked well.. If they did it with realistic type graphics the game would have been long out of date graphically. Even though it is anyway, some of the areas can look really good in the graphic style, particular the new goblin starting zone. On top of that, they wanted to make sure that WoW was playable on a wide range of computers, while that was true at release, they have pushed so much from the old engine that you do need a fairly beefy computer to run it nicely now in comparison to a few years ago.

    As for the content, they revamped the whole game in Cataclysm expansion, specifically focussing on the low level areas in order to keep more players interested, playstyle wise its exactly the same as Rift (Rift took its model right out of wow), and lore wise in my opinion it is far far stronger than Rift.

    A lot of people didnt like the Cataclysm expansion, as they made things more convenient and made the game easier to approach by new players. Generally the middle ground players complained most, where as many players liked the new leveling zone and pace, and the elite players loved the hard endgame raiding content, many of the average player base didnt like the games philosophy of "Most people will get almost everything, eventually" With the game putting some raiding gear on the shelves for 5man players, and the hardmode raiding content eventually being nerfed for less skilled/dedicated players to be able to defeat it.


    People talk about all these expansions because wow has a lot of history and a lot of memories with it, friends and times. Most of the time you look back with rose tinted glasses. If you tried it and you didn't like it, then maybe its just not for you ^^. Blizzard stated that most of the playerbase is lost in the first 10 levels, which is why they revamped it for cata.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Hoss616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    I played Vanilla and only got to the 40s so I did not really play much.
    Hoss

  11. #11
    Champion AngelOfTheGuardians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    596

    Default

    I played WoW for a few years, but I never played the end-game during The Burning Crusade and only did a few raid bosses outside of Naxx when it was puggable in Wrath of the Lich King (but I did all of the heroics iirc), so I don't know most raid bosses.

    What I did instead was make a level 19 twink hunter in BC and played it till the WotLK patch that nerfed twinks heavily. During WotLK, though, I did get a level 55 character so I could make a DK and capped 2. On one of them, I did a few raid bosses and cleared all of the heroics but never got into the weekly raiding of my guild. In the hopes of trying raiding with my guild, I got Cataclysm and leveled the same death knight to 85 but eventually got bored after I did most of the heroics and my guild wouldn't start raiding. That's why I'm not playing it anymore. In all that time, I made a few characters that got to various levels, some getting quite high but I don't think I will cap any more characters.

    So, yeah, I did play WoW but never really got into end game so I wouldn't be able to talk about most raid bosses. I do, however, know most of the other stuff from my game time so I can still easily follow WoW discussions.
    Last edited by AngelOfTheGuardians; 10-02-2011 at 06:46 AM.


    Don't get stuck in the hay.

  12. #12
    Champion faye007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    500

    Default

    To go back and try WoW now would not help you any with the storys of vanilla or the older (imo better) days.

    Basically before Blizzard tore the arse out of the lore and took away any sense of accomplishment you could have. You arent missing anything Blizzard sold their souls a long time ago.
    I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
    R50 Azama - Mage L60 R 13 Optional - Rogue L60 Sardonic - Cleric L50 Snugglepants - Warrior L50 @ Zaviel

  13. #13
    Sword of Telara Palvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    Also would suggest playing with a friend if you have a hard time making in game friends right away. PvP in WoW is awesome. You ever hear people in mmorpg discussions cry about missing Old AV?

    Well if so, research why. AV was so awesome.
    Of all the mmorpg that are similar to WoW, none of them have ever tried to clone Old AV for some reason. That was awesome epic RvR. Too bad Blizzard killed it so Arena would be made more popular.
    I would correct that emphasized statement to "PvP in WoW was awesome." It was nickel and dimed to death, starting before the end of vanilla--with nerfs to AV, cross-server, removal of a competitive ranking system, and emphasis on arena. No one starting WoW now would ever see the greatness that used to be WoW PvP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    As for the content, they revamped the whole game in Cataclysm expansion, specifically focussing on the low level areas in order to keep more players interested, playstyle wise its exactly the same as Rift (Rift took its model right out of wow), and lore wise in my opinion it is far far stronger than Rift.

    A lot of people didnt like the Cataclysm expansion, as they made things more convenient and made the game easier to approach by new players. Generally the middle ground players complained most, where as many players liked the new leveling zone and pace, and the elite players loved the hard endgame raiding content, many of the average player base didnt like the games philosophy of "Most people will get almost everything, eventually" With the game putting some raiding gear on the shelves for 5man players, and the hardmode raiding content eventually being nerfed for less skilled/dedicated players to be able to defeat it.
    The fastest growth of WoW occurred during vanilla. WoW at this point is losing customers, and has been for at least a year. There was a bump for Cata, but that dissipated a while ago.

    I didn't want to play Cata for two reasons. One, the class I had always played (hunter) was being changed to the point of not actually being the same class any more. The replacement has some superficial resemblance to hunters, and even has the same name, but it's not the same class.

    The other is that I had worked quite hard to reach the top PvP rank in vanilla, and in Cata, they decided that people reaching a certain arena style rating (but in regular PvP) should be handed the same rank titles, without any effort or work at all. In vanilla, each rank was harder to obtain than the last, and required a higher level of play and more time than the previous rank. To reach the top rank, you had to consistently play better than everyone else in your faction for the entire week, and you had to keep up with this level of play for several weeks without stopping. Not many people could do this. In contrast, the "top" player in the world during Cata put as much effort into getting the top rank as I had put into a single week of my grind to the top rank--and he didn't even have a very good win ratio (about 75%, compared to my 95%). Because of that devaluation of what was a pretty tough accomplishment, I won't be playing any more Blizzard games.

  14. #14
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    I can quarantee WoW still keep selling like mad. Rift was like a fart in a wind. Simply unbelievable to think its losing. Its really almighty WoW and then the rest outside of it.
    Last edited by June; 10-02-2011 at 08:01 AM.

  15. #15
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Palvy View Post
    I would correct that emphasized statement to "PvP in WoW was awesome." It was nickel and dimed to death, starting before the end of vanilla--with nerfs to AV, cross-server, removal of a competitive ranking system, and emphasis on arena. No one starting WoW now would ever see the greatness that used to be WoW PvP.


    The fastest growth of WoW occurred during vanilla. WoW at this point is losing customers, and has been for at least a year. There was a bump for Cata, but that dissipated a while ago.

    I didn't want to play Cata for two reasons. One, the class I had always played (hunter) was being changed to the point of not actually being the same class any more. The replacement has some superficial resemblance to hunters, and even has the same name, but it's not the same class.

    The other is that I had worked quite hard to reach the top PvP rank in vanilla, and in Cata, they decided that people reaching a certain arena style rating (but in regular PvP) should be handed the same rank titles, without any effort or work at all. In vanilla, each rank was harder to obtain than the last, and required a higher level of play and more time than the previous rank. To reach the top rank, you had to consistently play better than everyone else in your faction for the entire week, and you had to keep up with this level of play for several weeks without stopping. Not many people could do this. In contrast, the "top" player in the world during Cata put as much effort into getting the top rank as I had put into a single week of my grind to the top rank--and he didn't even have a very good win ratio (about 75%, compared to my 95%). Because of that devaluation of what was a pretty tough accomplishment, I won't be playing any more Blizzard games.
    Firstly, quite an insight you have after not playing Cata. Vanilla was the release of the game, obviously going from 0 players they saw the biggest growth. The actual biggest growth in playerbase was during the burning crusade expansion, this continued to grow throughout the wrath expansion before dwindling and peaked again (to the highest point) at the release of the cataclysm expansion, after which point it was dwindled back down to mid wrath levels. Population and growth wise, Vanilla was not the most succesful in either.

    As for the Cataclysm bringing back the old titles... do you realise how good you have to be to achieve high warlord/grand marshall or the hero of the ally/horde ranks? You have to be the best and you have to play with the best, it is no different to Vanilla apart from that now it is more about skill than having to have your character in battlegrounds 24/7.

    In other words, the current system is much better than the Vanilla wow system, of which the most important thing was to always be playing. Also, why do you need to hold on to a rank gained years ago that is no longer relevant, sure it was cool to have the rank, but all it really said was "This person played an insane ammount of pvp and didn't do much else with his/her life". They brought the ranks back, which was due to a great many people asking for that to happen, it is what people wanted and the new system is simply better.


    Skill should always be worth more than time invested. In Vanilla wow, sure you had to be decent, but no matter how good you were, if you couldnt pvp as much as the next guy then you would be screwed.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 10-02-2011 at 08:06 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts