+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wow these people over at MMORPG.com supporting RealID for killing a 13year old kid

Default Wow these people over at MMORPG.com supporting RealID for killing a 13year old kid

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf.../328201/page/1

this is by far one of the craziest threads I have read over there.

for somebody to support such actions of somebody killing a person in real life over a video game shows how crazy many people are in the gaming community.

if you remember a while ago, Blizzard was going to use this RealID thing.
    back then, I saw losts of post against it over on MMORPG.com and MMOchampion. But this thread made me see that these people are like sheep. easily brainwashed into supporting things that put them in harm, and even at a disadvantage

The kid didn't get killed.

And yeah, I've seen some pretty whack responses to this on another site too. I feel like I missed something? Is there some punchline or meme that I don't get, because I don't understand why its okay to assault someone over Call of Duty.
    Last edited by Akhet; 09-30-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    Akhet <Tabula Rasa> - Rogue
    World First Green Swirly Thing

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Blizzard did use Real ID. They didn't show real names on the forums to everyone else, but they still put real names on the forum page, which did not use any kind of security -- if you were in a coffee shop or an airport, everyone else there could sniff packets and get your name from it. And they tied all that functionality to "legal names", which is pretty much why I left.

One of the people I play MMOs with is a guy whose government ID says his name is "Jessica". Blizzard isn't about to let someone like that enjoy one of their games; they told us quite specifically that they did not have any interest in that player's money or participation. Up to them, I guess, but me, I moved on to games where the devs weren't quite so hostile to me and my friends.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    blizzard did use real id. They didn't show real names on the forums to everyone else, but they still put real names on the forum page, which did not use any kind of security -- if you were in a coffee shop or an airport, everyone else there could sniff packets and get your name from it. And they tied all that functionality to "legal names", which is pretty much why i left.

One of the people i play mmos with is a guy whose government id says his name is "jessica". Blizzard isn't about to let someone like that enjoy one of their games; they told us quite specifically that they did not have any interest in that player's money or participation. Up to them, i guess, but me, i moved on to games where the devs weren't quite so hostile to me and my friends.
    new world order

Blizzard did use Real ID. They didn't show real names on the forums to everyone else, but they still put real names on the forum page, which did not use any kind of security -- if you were in a coffee shop or an airport, everyone else there could sniff packets and get your name from it. And they tied all that functionality to "legal names", which is pretty much why I left.

One of the people I play MMOs with is a guy whose government ID says his name is "Jessica". Blizzard isn't about to let someone like that enjoy one of their games; they told us quite specifically that they did not have any interest in that player's money or participation. Up to them, I guess, but me, I moved on to games where the devs weren't quite so hostile to me and my friends.
    I thought they backed out after the president posted his name to prove a point and promptly was shown the location of his house, his marital status, and his bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiel of harrow View Post
    I thought they backed out after the president posted his name to prove a point and promptly was shown the location of his house, his marital status, and his bank account.
    they did back out. he/she is talking about something different that only a hacker would normally do.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiel of harrow View Post
    No. The only backing down they did was from making all public forums display real names all the time to everyone including people who aren't even logged in.

Real ID still does everything by the name on the account. You cannot choose to use an alias. If you log into the official forums, your name is still in the corner of the page, sent over the Internet unencrypted. There is still no option for using an alias or anything.

They also said that they were not doing the real name thing on forums "for the time being". They have never said that they will not do it later, and indeed, "for the time being" implies that they plan to. They have not retracted any of their previous claims. When they said that they think the game would be improved by the loss of all the people who objected to the real names on forums thing, that was their last statement on that topic. They have never stated that they no longer feel that way.

So all they did was back down temporarily, without taking the underlying security concerns seriously. They are fully aware that the current design makes cross-server friend functionality unavailable to a lot of people, and they are fine with that.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

No. The only backing down they did was from making all public forums display real names all the time to everyone including people who aren't even logged in.

Real ID still does everything by the name on the account. You cannot choose to use an alias. If you log into the official forums, your name is still in the corner of the page, sent over the Internet unencrypted. There is still no option for using an alias or anything.

They also said that they were not doing the real name thing on forums "for the time being". They have never said that they will not do it later, and indeed, "for the time being" implies that they plan to. They have not retracted any of their previous claims. When they said that they think the game would be improved by the loss of all the people who objected to the real names on forums thing, that was their last statement on that topic. They have never stated that they no longer feel that way.

So all they did was back down temporarily, without taking the underlying security concerns seriously. They are fully aware that the current design makes cross-server friend functionality unavailable to a lot of people, and they are fine with that.

what problems me, is similar to the link I posted in the OP, Blizzard knew about the dangers of RealID. they lost my respect because of that.

similar to the people in that thread, Blizzard spokesmen said that RealID will help reduce Trolling on the forum.

WTF?!!!? only thing that could mean is that they knew it put people in Real Life harm.

NEW WORLD ORDER!!!!!

Blizzard are part of the Freemasons Skull and Bones cult Pagans!!!

proof is in Starcraft!!!
    Last edited by tro44; 09-30-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Ascendant

Teenagers

The world could do with a lot less of them. Any plots to remove them, I endorse fully.

Quote Originally Posted by solarbear View Post
    Teenagers

The world could do with a lot less of them. Any plots to remove them, I endorse fully.
    yes they will pay for your SS. so be happy. they carry your future. too bad many of them dont realize this.

By the time we are eligable for SS there will be no SS. In my opinion but I am not here to discuss politics. They should have just cloned Reagan and the debt would be gone. You have to admit he was a good Pres. but I don't support cloning either.
    Have at me. I can take anything you can give. Real men tank.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasOutlaw View Post
    By the time we are eligable for SS there will be no SS. In my opinion but I am not here to discuss politics. They should have just cloned Reagan and the debt would be gone. You have to admit he was a good Pres. but I don't support cloning either.
    that bastard is a _______ pagan!!!

Shadowlander

Where did I put that tinfoil?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Where did I put that tinfoil?
    bush, and reagayn are evil pagans.

and the people that support such **** as RealID to put real life people in harm, need to meads or some St Elizabeth action

Quote Originally Posted by solarbear View Post
    Teenagers

Yet the adult in this story is the one who went on a rampage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast