+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Taemien

Thread: How does Everquest compare to Rift in your opinion?

Default How does Everquest compare to Rift in your opinion?

I'm thinking of trying out EQ but have lots of questions.

First they have two versions,EQ and EQII...which one is better and why?

Also are they subscription based? If not just how do these non-sub MMOs make any money and does it affect quality of game?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Omni View Post

Also are they subscription based? If not just how do these non-sub MMOs make any money and does it affect quality of game?
    According to the devs of EQ and EQ2, they are both different games with the EQ name. original eq is all about end game raiding. eq 2 is more social.

If you like Raiding and can live with outdated graphics (worse that WoW) then you will like EQ (It came out in 1999 after all with some graphical updates) and is 100% subscription based with an additional cash shop.

EQ 2 also has great game PVE wise (has some great raids) ...Game has both P2P and F2P servers.

http://everquest2.com/free_to_play/extended_faq

Though one of my biggest issue with EQ2 is that it runs bad even on new system due to way the game was developed (they assumed processers will just increase in size when the developed it and not become multi core)
    Hoss

General of Telara

I played EQ1 for nearly 10 years, the game has evolved into something I personally have no interest in but you might find it fun. The raids are or were a lot of fun, the graphics as people have said are outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Many have quitted, they are lost almost half of the servers they started. I hop in next MMO for sure. Rift is awesome game but PVP is just crap.
    Lol really now?

Rift Chaser

Never played EQ ( the time commitment scared me off) but did spend a few years in EQ2 and really enjoyed myself. A few things I really loved about EQ2 and a few of my personal highlights:

-Nice community
    -Many zones, a ton of content being an older game. Easily soloable. Ample group content, good raid content.
    -Some interesting epic questlines that will take you a loooong time to complete. EQ2 still had an element of camping some bosses I didn't like. You would have to kill placeholders until the mob you wanted for the quest popped but it did add an element of socialability to games that I think is missing somewhat these days. The dungeons were open so sometime there was a bit of competition.
    -A great crafting system if you are a crafter at heart. I love my minigames.
    -Housing that is some of the best I've seen in any game.
    -A nicely done Auction House system
    -A great collection system with some very nice rewards. I was happy to see the same thing in Rift.

You can't go wrong with the F2P model. I upgraded to a gold membership because I wanted to use the auction house and mail system (grumbles slightly at SOE on that one). Don't let the character creation models (horrible pouty faces on the female models---uggg) turn you off and the dated graphics. It does grow on you as you play it.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
    Don't let the character creation models (horrible pouty faces on the female models---uggg) turn you off
    The new default (or perhaps only on the Freeport server) is to the Soga models. Leave it the way it is if you like anime, otherwise click the Alternate Models button to see the originals.

Ascendant

Never played it myself. I find it simply amazing how SOE suck at advertising, and DCUO wasnt so bad game, but SOE just cant be arsed, I thikn I'd really like for example Vanguard but SOE games always seem to fall under the radar.

I suppose Everquest Next could be great, they're aiming for highly realistic characters and more virtual world approach.
    Last edited by June; 10-06-2011 at 03:49 AM.

EQ1 is the king of Themepark MMO.

basically every themepark MMO that has come after it, took something from EQ.

WoW is the most successful of EQ's many children

EQ1 is waay outdated. It was an awesome game for its time, and vanilla EQ along with the first couple of expansions was a very challenging game (dying could lose you hours or days worth of xp grinding). Just from sheer age I wounldn't touch it again.

EQ2 is decent, definatley not as grindy or difficult, and has much more up to date graphics.

My suggestion is EQ2, they even have F2P servers, the only exception is if you are feeling particulary massochistic and really want to learn what pain is, then try EQ1 and stick with the vanilla content as much as possible (I heard at one point they had progression servers where they start with vanilla and the players have to beat thier way through the old content with the old gear and grinding system, that would cool...but also leave your *** very sore).

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Omni View Post

I've played both, raided in both, been a guild leader in one, my best friend was a guild leader in eq1 with world wide firsts. Its been a while since I played eq1 so I"m an update or two behind but I think the following is pretty accurate:

1. EQ1 is a group game. Soloing it is basically impossible especially for certain classes. You need to group in order to get any where. EQ2 is far more solo friendly, but it is in my mind, easier in that regard. If you are looking for true challenge, vanilla EQ1 is where its at. I"m told that it got easier in later expansions. At least when I played, for a game called Everquest, questing mattered very little in EQ1 for levelling --- way way more in eq2.

2. If you want to raid, realistically eq2 is probably a better bet due to the set up of the AA systems. Most of your true power in EQ1 comes from the AA system, and its is basically an uncapped system. Therefore, endgame raiders right now have literally thousands of AA. Soloing is slow to begin with, and many will tell you not to get to end level but to grind aa at a lower level. It can be extraordinarily frustrating. EQ2 has a set AA cap, and then you choose how to spend them among the trees (think about soul choices here). That being said, if somehow you managed to get raid ready in EQ1, they are pretty damn awesome.

3. In both games, choose your class wisely. It matters.

4. In EQ1, choose your race wisely. Faction matters and there are cities you will not be able to enter. EQ2 faction matters a bit less, but it still matters some.

5. If you love graphics, EQ1 is not your game. EQ2 is okay.. I liked it better than WoW. Way less cartoony.

5. Crafting in each game is different but in either case, way better than Rift or WoW. WAY better.

6. EQ2 has some of the best housing of any game.

7. Guild halls killed cities in EQ2. I've not played EQ1 since they added housing and guild halls, so I can't say.

8. EQ2 has a FTP server but you are limited in races, class etc and it has a pay to win feel to it sometimes. There is great hatrred on the EQ2 legacy servers for the EQ2x server, be warned. I don't know if EQ1 has gone that way yet or not.

Rift Disciple

Default One more thing

I obviously thing there are things in both the eqs that are better than RIft, so why am I here... the answer is SOE by and large. I left EQ1 due to the AA grind .. it got very old and it felt like I could never catch up, but its still a great game for a challenge and for a true group game.

I left EQ2 because SOE took all their money, sunk it into the crap that is DCUO and skimped on it. When I left, it was buggy as hell, the itemization was borked beyond belief because they tried to automate it, and because of the EQ2x servers, they started to put alot of resources in to RMT art development and push the envelope on what they could sell. When I left, the game was just broken if you were an end game raider trying to progress.

Graphics-wise, EQ1 and EQ2 do not compare to rift. EQ2 comes close, but its engine is outdated and requires 4Ghz+ Single Core CPUs to run properly (which do not exist). It also makes little use of GPUs and will break under SLI or Crossfire.

Leveling up in EQ1 is insanely fast these days. It used to be much slower, but you can easily reach level 70 in two weeks solo. However this is a double edged sword. You have casting and weapon skills that will need to be leveled up, which is still slow. Also you need 1000+ AA's (think planar achievements, but required for progression of even duo/solo content).

Leveling up in EQ2 is comparable to Rift. It takes longer because there is 90 levels, but the pace is similar. They have AA's like EQ1, but is capped at 250, so it doesn't take as long. Quests and killing named NPCs speeds this up as well.

Housing in both games is interesting. Oddly the housing in EQ1 looks better and is slightly more immersive then EQ2. In EQ1's houses, you're in the same instance as other people in your neighborhoods but can only edit things in your plot. EQ2 gives you your own instance, and its a little more customizable.

Character customization is king in EQ2, if your class can wear it. You can put it in your appearance slot (like Rift's Wardrobe). Weapons too. You can be a tank with a twohander by using a two hander to hide your sword and board. Many more costume items.

EQ1's is lacking. There's nice weapons, but thats it. No wardrobe and the engine wouldn't support it. Each race has 4 armor models, cloth, leather, chain, and plate. However each race is unique no matter what gear they put on, which is a small plus. Also they allow armor tinting which EQ2 doesn't do. And you can tint using RGB color sliders. Something Rift doesn't do.

Raiding and Dungeons. Both EQ1 and EQ2 require chain heals on tanks in higher end content for mostly tank and spank bosses. There is some minor mechanics, but nothing like ground effects (EQ1 doesn't support it well, and not everyone can see it in EQ2 due to an outdated engine on modern hardware). Mostly curefests. Basically healers get a cure curse spell on a 60 second cooldown and bosses will pop a raid-wiping curse 6 times a minute. Requiring a cure curse rotation with at least 6-7 healers. Not very challenging, just tedious.

Gameplay... EQ1's lacks big time. If you're a Warrior you autoattack, Taunt, and Kick. If you're a Rogue, you autoattack and backstab. If you're a caster you get a bunch of spells but can only use 8 at a time though memorization.

EQ2 is the opposite extreme. My Ranger had 36 skills that were used. My Shadowknight had 42. At least 10-15 will be used on a regular bases. And the rest situational. Macros could not be done like they are in Rift.

Side note on gameplay. Rangers, Rogues, and the like in EQ2 could use shields. And they DID increase survivability by alot. In fact some rogues could tank small things, but never bosses in instances. Made soloing easier by far.

EQ1 had hybrid classes unlike EQ2. A ranger was a Druid/Warrior, Shadowknight was Necromancer/Warrior, ect. They would get spells like their caster side, but at higher levels. Light Healing for a Cleric was in the low levels, Paladins in the mid levels, and rangers somewhat higher. At higher levels Ranger and Paladins could heal in a pinch. But at super high levels, not so much (too much damage being thrown around).

On another side note. Necromancers in EQ2 had powerful pets. Mine personally could solo anything not beyond Epic x2 (took normally 2 groups, or 12 players to kill, Epic x3 took 3 groups or 18 players). There were times in certain dungeons where I'd lost control of the pet and we'd walk along this trail of death that it was wrecking. Oddly it wasn't that powerful in PVP.

Mercenaries in EQ1 made grouping a little easier (hard to get 6 people together nowadays) These come in 4 classes, Warrior (tank), Cleric (healer), Rogue (DPS), Wizard (DPS), and they perform their roles almost as good as a player. They come with an upkeep cost however.

PVP in EQ1 was about who was higher level, and better geared. If your guild was more progressed in PVE Raiding then your opponent, you won. Also if you were a Necromancer or Shadowknight and your opponent was not... you won.

EQ2 PVP had a stat like Valor. Except it was bloated on the top tier PVP. So much that a 10k bow shot in PVE dealt less then 100 damage in PVP. You needed a stat like Vengeance to overcome that, but it was only at the top tier. It was a painful lesson in futility to start out in their battlegrounds.

Overall, EQ1 is not bad for nostalgic reasons, or if you just want to play something simple on the side with a group of friends. I recommend at least 3 people as after level 65, stuff gets hard to duo, even with Mercs. The grouping content isn't too bad. Not much in the way of instancing, but the dungeon crawls feel like crawls and they aren't optimized for groups, you kinda have to wing them, which in itself is fun.

EQ2 isn't too bad if you're a Role-player. The housing makes things alot of fun as you can make your own settings. Taverns, halls, anything you can imagine. I've personally even made and airship, even floating in the air.

For PVP and endgame raiding. Stick with WoW or Rift.

I personally would not consider playing either EQ with any sort of seriousness. Expansions are released every 4-6 months on both, and they only add content thats as big as Rift's River of Souls, Hammerknell, ect. And they are 40 bucks a piece USD. If you had to pay for Rift's content like you would in EQ1/2, you'd have paid $160 in just DLC alone.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Taemien View Post
    I personally would not consider playing either EQ with any sort of seriousness. Expansions are released every 4-6 months on both, and they only add content thats as big as Rift's River of Souls, Hammerknell, ect. And they are 40 bucks a piece USD. If you had to pay for Rift's content like you would in EQ1/2, you'd have paid $160 in just DLC alone.
    At least in EQ2, many of the expansions add a lot of horizontal expansion though, making alting and replaying a lot of fun. They add new races and starting zones and lots of lore and stuff for RP, social gaming. I've paid in full for a lot of them and don't regret it. That said, new players usually get them all for like $50 or so, which is a steal.

Though I do agree, Trion is pumping out a lot of content for FREE which is awesome. We're definitely getting our subscription's worth here.
    Faeblight Defiant Eth Mage Quay

Quote Originally Posted by Quay View Post
    At least in EQ2, many of the expansions add a lot of horizontal expansion though, making alting and replaying a lot of fun. They add new races and starting zones and lots of lore and stuff for RP, social gaming. I've paid in full for a lot of them and don't regret it. That said, new players usually get them all for like $50 or so, which is a steal.

Though I do agree, Trion is pumping out a lot of content for FREE which is awesome. We're definitely getting our subscription's worth here.
    Oh thanks for reminding me about that.

You do get all of the previous expansions for buying the newest one for both EQ's.

Though I have to disagree on the races, EQ2 has only added three new races (Sarnak, Faeries, and Vampires) since 2004. Though most of the races use the same models, just have different skin, eye, and hair color/styles. For example the faeries and vampires use the base elf model that Feir'dal, Koada'dal, Teir'dal, and Ayr'dal use but add either wings or particle effects.

EQ2 also has some major glitches. I wouldn't consider it a AAA title. For example of one, the vampire race was introduced and they forgot to give them sounds. So they were completely silent whenever they moved, attacked, or emoted. Another glitch is zones may not download properly during updates. A friend of mine couldn't complete quests in a tunnel because it didn't exist for them. They could see people enter and exit through the side of the mountain but they couldn't enter.

Wrong. Most of the expansions add content equal to half of the Rift's total content, or even more. Lets look at the latest expansion, Destiny of Velious:

- 2 new zones the size of 6-7 zones from Rift combined
    - ~500 new solo quests there
    - 14 brand new group instances, and I mean 14 RELEVANT group instances - not like counting twice all the normal and expert instances in rift and declaring that number. And those 14are not remakes of anything previously in-game
    - 6 new raid instances with ~50 encounters in easy mode and ~30 in hard mode. That's, if you fail at math, 80 raid encounters. And they are better then in rift.
    - 2 new AA pages. It's like two pages of the planar attunements, but really matters.
    - REAL balance fixes. If a class is labeled as dps class, it is competitive with other dps classes.

And it is all just one expansion. Eq2 now has 8 modules like this, counting the original release. And you can actually buy them all in one package at about ~30 bucks, at least you can do that here in Russia (we have a localization and, thus, a localiser who handles the sales. Idk if there are similiar packages in US or EU or not. Soe is soe)

Summing it all up, eq2 has 5-6 times more content then Rift now has, and it has like 2 times the amount of current endgame content the rift has. It has better class balance, a great combat system that empathises personal skill and group/raid interaction, it has 0.5 sec GCD that usually gets reduced to 0.25, and it has Ratongas. However, I would not really advice playing eq2 with any degree of seriousness, because:

- ****ty outdated gfix engine. Yes the picture might look nice, but you'll get lags on average settings on a 20k$ machine in a raid, and if two full raids start to pvp each other, you are about to get ~0 fps.

- ****ty netcode and servers. Actually, the ping AFFECTS YOUR CAST TIME. Yeah right, your 3 sec cast time spell that you made 1.5 sec cast time through gear will actually cast 6 seconds in a raid. Sryz the server lagz so your dps drops multifold.

- ****ty pvp. Yeah, it's even worse than in Rift. It's fine in the department of combat system and 6v6 balance, but fails miserably at everything else.

- High learning curve. By the time you learn to play eq2 and learn your class enough to be accepted to raids they will either close the servers, release eq10, or both. There are no ability macros in eq2. The dps rotations consist of 15-30 spells for different classes, each having its cooldown. There are dozens of raid buffs and encounter effects that affect your rotations. There are no simplification addons in eq2. Your dps in raids exceeds your solo dps on training dummy in 5-10 times. And that is not the gains from static buffs, to maximize your performance you'll need to cooperate closely with 3-8 people in raid, sometimes more. Failing to sync your temps/cooldowns might result in 50-75% dps loss for certain classes (hello conjuror).

- VERY limited classes. It has 24 classes and they are all tightly specialized. If you play a brigand, you are only really good at debuffing mobs, and suck at everything else, and the only way you can change your role is roll a new character. If you play a mystic, you only really have access to absorb shields, no hots, rudimentary direct heals, no real dps, no solo/tanking ability, nothing. Yes you can betray to an opposite class, but that ususally changes nothing in global. You play a cleric in rift? Enjoy tanking, doing dps, support and the heals? Get ready to roll a templar, a warlock, a berserker, a bard and a warden in eq2. And level them. And gear them. And grind AA.

- ****ty developers. Almost as bad as mage developers in Rift. Oh, sometimes even worse - they fired the people who coded their engine, so they can not make global changes anymore. And they cant optimize the thing. Yeah, the lags. They will be until they close the servers.

- Stitty itemizstion. Even worse then Rift, again. Streamlined stats for every archtype, but completely different mechanics for the classes. Take the mage class, for example: sorcerers nuke things up, chanters use reactive spells that use their own formulas for damage, and summoners use pets, obviously. So, for example, the equivalent of +50 spell power effect would add 100 dps to the summoner, 150 to the sorcerer, and 250 to the chanter. And an effect '10% chance to double attack with your spells' (yes they have such a modifier in eq2) would add 5k dps to the enchanter, 15k to the summoner and 80k to the sorcerer.

So, in the end, eq2 was great and you should wrist now if you have missed its golden days 2-4 years ago. Now, however, it's not worth the effort. While it's still an amazing game, the entry level is too high, and problems have snowballed too much over the recent years.

+ Reply to Thread