+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Who else is...

Default Who else is...

So, who else is looking forward to the tsunami of tears that will cascade down upon us when SW:TOR releases, and 1-2months in people realize its a hulking piece of dog****.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't some type of Rift fanboi post or whatever, its simply just me and other people who are being realistic and not allowing our love of the star wars genre or bioware fanboism to cloud our judgement and ability to recognize the forest for the trees.

My prediction is the game will sell like hotcakes, probably 2+ million copies, and will pull an AoC and lose 70% or better of that after the first month when people have already exhausted 90% of the "content", and then start a steady decline in the following months.

The MMO genre for the past 6-7 years has literally been a massive case of "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome. MMO's that are released are now the game equivalent of Michael Bay films, big budget, pretty, over hyped and ultimately flaccid and uninteresting.

I doubt that it'll even be a couple million. The trend that I'm looking at right now puts many games in the quarter million to half million range. Now considering SW's legacy I would surmise that fans of the old game and fans of the series can increase but I wouldn't predict it to be more than 800,000.
    Of course the 1-2 month drop off trend is easy to predict because if you look in any statistics you'll see that happens with every game. Rift has lost roughly 100K subs since launch. It's to be expected. And like you mentioned with AOC, it and WAR are the 2 that took major hits, mainly due to horrible launches. AOC started with 700K subs and WAR hit an amazing 800K (fans of both Lore's boosting those stats) and each plummeted to less than 80K before the first year was even over. No other games on the list have come close to that kind of failure.
    So unless they have an issue where the game CTD's regularly for several months (AOC) I don't really see them losing 70% of the population. Maybe 30-50% leaning more towards the former but most likely not much more than that.

Ascendant

I bought beer and popcorn already. Im gonna join to piss off some Star Wars nerds.
    Last edited by June; 09-29-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Shadowlander

The game is indeed massively overhyped. I foresee a pretty big initial drop off when people realize it's just like every other recent MMO, just with a Star Wars skin and fewer features.

The only thing I've read about that sets it apart is the light/dark morality mechanic, but I don't know how that affects gameplay in terms of interaction with other players. I'm sure it affects things like NPC faction rep and available quests, but what else?

Quote Originally Posted by Hrimnir View Post
    So, who else is looking forward to the tsunami of tears that will cascade down upon us when SW:TOR releases, and 1-2months in people realize its a hulking piece of dog****.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't some type of Rift fanboi post or whatever, its simply just me and other people who are being realistic and not allowing our love of the star wars genre or bioware fanboism to cloud our judgement and ability to recognize the forest for the trees.

My prediction is the game will sell like hotcakes, probably 2+ million copies, and will pull an AoC and lose 70% or better of that after the first month when people have already exhausted 90% of the "content", and then start a steady decline in the following months.

The MMO genre for the past 6-7 years has literally been a massive case of "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome. MMO's that are released are now the game equivalent of Michael Bay films, big budget, pretty, over hyped and ultimately flaccid and uninteresting.
    It would have to fail pretty huge to be an even bigger piece of crap than Rift.

And, before you ask, I'm only here because Rift is slightly better than facebook games as I really have nothing else to play until swtor/gw2.

Shadowlander

What you said, a lot of "haters" said the same thing about Rift. Many of those who play other MMO's still do.

Why are people so eager to either shoot something down or blow it up out of proportion?

You know, there is a massive grey area between fanboy and hater, most people live there. Then you got the people who make threads with the single intention of showing where you stand.

Whole thread is pointless no?
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 09-29-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    What you said, a lot of "haters" said the same thing about Rift. Many of those who play other MMO's still do.

Why are people so eager to either shoot something down or blow it up out of proportion?

You know, there is a massive grey area between fanboy and hater, most people live there. Then you got the people who make threads with the single intention of showing where you stand.

Whole thread is pointless no?
    The difference is you didnt have people who were interested in Rift signing up on GW2 and SW:TOR forums and crusading about how horrible the game was going to be during the beta and development processes.

The reason for the hatred is because of rampant, unadulterated fanboism. I'm one of those people who doesnt care what you do for entertainment, i really dont. Until you start bringing your crap and throwing it in my face. I'm sick of all the posts about SWTOR on these forums by fanbois who think its so awesome that their super fantastic awesome game is gonna release and that means that it has to kill everything else out there for them to enjoy it.

Think of how much you would hate someone if they thought that orange shirts were the bee's knees and literally every single day, multiple times a day, the person was coming up to you and talking about how awesome his orange shirt is, and how your an idiot and a failhard for wearing a blue or a grey shirt, etc.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    It would have to fail pretty huge to be an even bigger piece of crap than Rift.

And, before you ask, I'm only here because Rift is slightly better than facebook games as I really have nothing else to play until swtor/gw2.
    i wouldn't call rift a POC/POS. but yeah there is certainly some questionable decisions that were made early on that appear to have be made in a hurry. for example, small world, limited race selections, total lack of other worldly things such as inn's, children playing, families, chair..to.. sit in? (yeap that's missing to even the kitchen sink is missing in the game), and amoung other things... end game content? getting there! but its still raid raid raid raid... oh solo content you say? what part of raid raid raid didn't u understand? rather it be 1,2,5,10, 20 its a raid, and instanced dungeon for some pointless lot that explains some silly bad lore that really didn't appeal to anyone.

but it was solid! i do give trion that. game has been playable to 50 and atleast it had endgame content in the pvp market, just not sure how to boost pvp and make people enjoy it without really being able to make rewards like what can be made in GW/GW2. Rift wasn't made to take over someone's zone/house but that should be obvious from the package before you even spend your money. IT IS A PVE GAME WITH SOME PVP ON THE SIDE!!! but duh! But i'll say it again, it was a solid game at release.

Shadowlander

The difference is you didnt have people who were interested in Rift signing up on GW2 and SW:TOR forums and crusading about how horrible the game was going to be during the beta and development processes.

The reason for the hatred is because of rampant, unadulterated fanboism. I'm one of those people who doesnt care what you do for entertainment, i really dont. Until you start bringing your crap and throwing it in my face. I'm sick of all the posts about SWTOR on these forums by fanbois who think its so awesome that their super fantastic awesome game is gonna release and that means that it has to kill everything else out there for them to enjoy it.

Think of how much you would hate someone if they thought that orange shirts were the bee's knees and literally every single day, multiple times a day, the person was coming up to you and talking about how awesome his orange shirt is, and how your an idiot and a failhard for wearing a blue or a grey shirt, etc.
    On the contrary, most of the SW:TOR threads I see on here are "SW:TOR fails, is gonna fail" threads. Even the discussion threads end up that way.

Rift Chaser

I'm not one to take delight in the demise of a game or the disappointment of people that may have been looking forward the game for years. Then again, I'm not one to really bash a game either. With most of the MMOs I've played, I've always have tried to appreciate the positive things about a game, even if my subscription is short lived.

I think the jury is out on SWTOR. I'm hopiing that it will do well and that it will give me many hours of enjoyable game time. If not, I will certainly be disappointed but life goes on. I would like to see both games do well---Rift, SWTOR, GW2 or whatever comes next. Having ample gaming selections is always a good thing imo.

I don't understand some of the angst and anger I see in some of these threads. I read/respond to them just because I enjoy talking about a favortie hobby of mine---gaming!!

Soulwalker

Diablo 3 will pwn all mmorpg games ever made.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by MagusWinter View Post
    Diablo 3 will pwn all mmorpg games ever made.
    hey you... Maguswinter... yeah you... /highfive, good to see some fresh air and good taste on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiuhcoatl View Post
    The game is indeed massively overhyped. I foresee a pretty big initial drop off when people realize it's just like every other recent MMO, just with a Star Wars skin and fewer features.

The only thing I've read about that sets it apart is the light/dark morality mechanic, but I don't know how that affects gameplay in terms of interaction with other players. I'm sure it affects things like NPC faction rep and available quests, but what else?
    to be honest, I really am wondering how people dont already see that the game is like most other MMORPG already.

Hey the Developers even said it. the only thing it had for the hype was the IP and the Lore telling. that was pretty much it. How many people now days play MMO for lore alone?

Shadowlander

Diablo 3 is not an MMO.

Is like saying Forza 4 will own every FPS ever made!

wait what?

I posted about Rift of GW2's forum all the time back during beta. check yourself there pal.

I even talked about it on MMOChampion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast