+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 170
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Why do people expect to solo an MMO?

  1. #1
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default Why do people expect to solo an MMO?

    This notion continues to vex me. What's worse is developers are starting to listen to it. MMO's are inherently social games. I'm not here to judge anyone, or critisize their personality, or philosphical point of view. I'd appreciate it if responses were not made personal or accusatory in any way. I don't want to hear about how people who feel this way are selfish, entitled, self absorbed, anti-social or misguided. If I hear the word "kid" I will vomit rainbows.

    What I want to know is why this genre is even attractive to people who prefer to play alone. Single player RPG's are great fun. I often absorb myself into an SP RPG myself. I play different game genre's to satisfy different entertainment cravings. MMO's, IMO, are meant to be played with other people. I feel this way because of the very nature of the online atmosphere. So what's the allure to flying solo in an MMO?
    Last edited by Sinndel; 09-27-2011 at 03:47 PM.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

  2. #2
    Prophet of Telara Neo Omni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    This notion continues to vex me. What's worse is developers are starting to listen to it. MMO's are inherently social games. I'm not here to judge anyone, or critisize their personality, or philosphical point of view. I'd appreciate it if responses were not made personal or accusatory in any way. I don't want to hear about how people who feel this way are selfish, entitled, self absorbed, anti-social or misguided. If I hear the word "kid" I will vomit rainbows.

    What I want to know is why this genre is even attractive to people who prefer to play alone. Single player RPG's are great fun. I often absorb myself into an SP RPG myself. I play different game genre's to satisfy different entertainment cravings. MMO's, IMO, are meant to be played with other people. I feel this way because of the very nature of the online atmosphere. So what's the allure to flying solo in an MMO?
    Just because it's an MMO doesn't mean YOU HAVE TO socialize.

    What I like about MMOs is that I am pitted against real thinking people and not pre-coded responses like you get from NPCs. That's all. I couldn't care less about any "social" aspects of the game.

    It's like playing chess...would you rather play against a person or a machine?
    Last edited by Neo Omni; 09-27-2011 at 03:52 PM.


  3. #3
    Ascendant Warbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,857

    Default

    Many dont want to play alone but its more a case of sometimes people dont want too tie themselves into a group when they may not have time to fully finish that content with the group or may not be comfortable with there characetr or playstyle to feel confident enough to join random groups in content yet

  4. #4
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Omni View Post
    Just because it's an MMO doesn't mean YOU HAVE TO socialize.

    What I like about MMOs is that I am pitted against real thinking people and not pre-coded responses like you get from NPCs. That's all. I couldn't care less about any "social" aspects of the game.

    It's like playing chess...would you rather play against a person or a machine?
    So you're a PvPer, and that's fine, but certainly that's not the only aspect of MMO's that attracts you, as there are genre's that give you the PvP without the need for group based progression.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

  5. #5
    Ascendant TheDrizzle404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    chronicle raids are a good thing. now players cant complain they never see the content which means it wont have to be nerfed as bad. raiders rejoice.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Wolfetx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,031

    Default

    Unless i am raiding with a good guild i prefer to do everything else solo.
    Why? Well while i do enjoy single player games they are expensive and do not last.
    I can typically beat single player games in 2 to 4 days then its done. At 50 bucks a pop it gets very costly.
    I highly doubt the market could keep up with how fast i could consume the product.
    MMO games are cheap and you never really beat them. They get content updates so you can keep playing a game you are familiar with.
    They also allow me to play them with my wife which most single player games will not allow.
    To be honest the only reason i like to raid is it allows for character progression. If i could do the same with just the wife and myself i would.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Charlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle404 View Post
    chronicle raids are a good thing. now players cant complain they never see the content which means it wont have to be nerfed as bad. raiders rejoice.
    They can complain and they WILL!

    You watch. I bet I'm right.


    Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    268

    Default

    While I do like to play MMO's with other people, can you seriously sit there and tell me you want to have to find a group to do anything in a game? I play with other people, and I also play solo, depending on my mood and how long I have to play.

    While I might be able to finish an instance in as little as 30-40m it could also take as long as 1-2h, depending on the quality of the group (not just gear but experience in the instance, and the actual instance itself). Say I have 45m playtime before I have to get ready for work: do I get a group and ditch them when I run out of time, or just mess around with some solo content?

  9. #9
    Telaran Kalura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    62

    Default

    I happen to be one of those players who spends a vast majority of my time solo.

    As Neo Omni posted earlier, I do so for competition of being pitted against other people. You incorrectly jumped to the conclussion that this competition is based upon PvP activities, that is not the case at all. I, for one, do not care for Warfronts or PvP rifts.

    There are more aspects within an MMO that bring competition than just PvP alone, you as a raider claim your guild is better than another because you have made further progress in your raids. That is a competition.

    I compare myself to others by achievements, mounts collected, pets collected, gold obtained, etc.

    You run around with your Crocnard because it makes you feel superior, it's an accomplishment that you have earned that other people have not. I do the samething with my Magpie title, I have taken the time to craft 200 artifacts, you have not, that makes me feel superior.

    You and I play MMOs for the same reason, for the rush of an accomplishment and the sense of superiority, a single player game can not give that feeling. You choose the company of other players, I choose to play alone.

    You criticize us soloers for our style play, so allow me to take the time to criticize you for yours.

    You know if you want social interaction and goals that required more than just yourself, you could go outside and make some real friends. Build some houses, feed the hungry, visit a nursing home. You know actually make a difference instead of just coming together to beat script based machines.

    Video games are after all inherently a solo activity.
    Last edited by Kalura; 09-27-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    “Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.” - Ambrose Redmoon

  10. #10
    Champion of Telara Acesfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    I've had Sin on ignore for a good while now. But I don't need to read his post to know what it's about. So here's your answer.

    There is absolutely noting in the term MMO that indicates you have to group with others. Multiplayer simply means more than one person can play the game at any given time. Many many games have multiplayer and can be played solo.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kedolan View Post
    While I do like to play MMO's with other people, can you seriously sit there and tell me you want to have to find a group to do anything in a game? I play with other people, and I also play solo, depending on my mood and how long I have to play.
    No, not at all, in fact I should clarify. I'm referring to people who ONLY want to solo, who claim to not have any friends, can't find even 1 other person to quest with, and refuse to play with other people. I expect there to be a fair amount of soloable content in this genre. But to be plain unwilling to paticipate in group activities in any form, even a simple duo, is an alien concept to me.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

  12. #12
    Shadowlander Jordell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    32

    Default

    MMOs would be great if it wasn't for the other players. j/k No, I agree with you. It's just so many people have been burned by min/maxing elitists, childish trolls, and sadistic griefers that they have given up on dealing with a community in an MMO, which like you said is the point of the game. The anonymity of the internet gives people the freedom to be monsters without consequences.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalura View Post
    I happen to be one of those players who spends a vast majority of my time solo.

    As Neo Omni posted earlier, I do so for competition of being pitted against other people. You incorrectly jumped to the conclussion that this competition is based upon PvP activities, that is not the case at all. I, for one, do not care for Warfronts or PvP rifts.

    There are more aspects within an MMO that bring competition than just PvP alone, you as a raider claim your guild is better than another because you have made further progress in your raids. That is a competition.

    I compare myself to others by achievements, mounts collected, pets collected, gold obtained, etc.

    You run around with your Crocnard because it makes you feel superior, it's an accomplishment that you have earned that other people have not. I do the samething with my Magpie title, I have taken the time to craft 200 artifacts, you have not, that makes me feel superior.
    I find that very unusual, but I don't citisize you for it. I don't take any pride in my virtual accomplishments. I play to have fun.

    You and I play MMOs for the same reason, for the rush of an accomplishment and the sense of superiority, a single player game can not give that feeling. You choose the company of other players, I choose to play alone.
    That isn't why I play though.

    You criticize us soloers for our style play
    No, I don't.

    so allow me to take the time to criticize you for yours.

    You know if you want social interaction and goals that required more than just yourself, you could go outside and make some real friends. Build some houses, feed the hungry, visit a nursing home. You know actually make a difference instead of just coming together to beat script based machines.

    Video games are after all inherently a solo activity.
    That's a strange analogy. You assume I don't do these things already. They are very different types of fulfillment. Helping a human in need, and slaying a monster with friends. I play games for entertainment. I play single player games to beat scipt based machines. I play MMO's to do it with other people, often people I know nothing about.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

  14. #14
    Champion AngelOfTheGuardians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalura View Post
    I happen to be one of those players who spends a vast majority of my time solo.

    As Neo Omni posted earlier, I do so for competition of being pitted against other people. You incorrectly jumped to the conclussion that this competition is based upon PvP activities, that is not the case at all. I, for one, do not care for Warfronts or PvP rifts.

    There are more aspects within an MMO that bring competition than just PvP alone, you as a raider claim your guild is better than another because you have made further progress in your raids. That is a competition.

    I compare myself to others by achievements, mounts collected, pets collected, gold obtained, etc.

    You run around with your Crocnard because it makes you feel superior, it's an accomplishment that you have earned that other people have not. I do the samething with my Magpie title, I have taken the time to craft 200 artifacts, you have not, that makes me feel superior.

    You and I play MMOs for the same reason, for the rush of an accomplishment and the sense of superiority, a single player game can not give that feeling. You choose the company of other players, I choose to play alone.

    You criticize us soloers for our style play, so allow me to take the time to criticize you for yours.

    You know if you want social interaction and goals that required more than just yourself, you could go outside and make some real friends. Build some houses, feed the hungry, visit a nursing home. You know actually make a difference instead of just coming together to beat script based machines.

    Video games are after all inherently a solo activity.
    A lot of assumptions, almost none of which are true in my case. But you can apparently read everyone's mind, so you must be right.
    Last edited by AngelOfTheGuardians; 09-27-2011 at 04:36 PM.


    Don't get stuck in the hay.

  15. #15
    Ascendant Anuhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,003

    Default

    You can socialise a lot in an MMO, with a lot of different people. You can give a lot to the community and take only the satisfaction that you have given. You can, in bite size bits, spend more time with other people per day than a lot of people who only group. To some, there is just no need to be grouped, or rather no want to have to need to group.
    There's a saying, keep your friends close and your enemies closer, I don't believe in that. Keep everyone at a safe distance, where friends remain friends, enemies become no more of an enemy and there's always new strangers to meet and often re-meet.
    Last edited by Anuhart; 09-27-2011 at 04:35 PM.

    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts