+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Will Rift Survive SWTOR & GW2

Default Will Rift Survive SWTOR & GW2

Yes.

Rift has a lot of unique things in the game that others really do not. Sure it borrows from older tested systems that have become the backbone of MMOs, but it also takes older systems and improves on them. SWTOR seems to be very much like WOW on how it runs except that it is Star Wars IP. I can see SWTOR being successful but not huge. It will have a large playerbase fast, but after a while people will see its nothing truly special. GW2 will be the larger threat in the long run. It is very different and seems like it will be breaking a lot of stereotypes that MMO players are used to. GW2 will be successful and will last a long time.

Rift i feel has a lot going for it, but has not fully matured yet. The game has a lot of unique things in it and if the dev team does the right things, Rift could become an even better game. Will rift take a hit with SWTOR and GW2, yes it will. Will there feel like there are a lot still playing the game when the other games come out? Not on every server, no. However, if Rift can weather the storm coming, i see great potential in the future for this game. WOW peaked with the first expansion. I can see Rift getting a nice new feel with Ember Isle and then eventually Planetouched Wilds. Some new 5 mans and some new zones will keep this game feeling fresh for a while. Sure Rift needs some fixing, but every MMO does. Everyone QQs over every little thing in a game and says they are waiting for the next game because it will be so much better. It wont. It will be new and exciting, but when it comes down to it, all games have flaws and you should be playing the one that you really want to
    Dragonskull - Faeblight: <Betrayle> Warrior Tank/DPS
    Laughingskull - Faeblight: Warrior DPS
    www.youtube.com/laughingskull92

Yes it will survive.
    Just, comfortably numb....

Quote Originally Posted by laughingskull View Post

Rift i feel has a lot going for it, but has not fully matured yet.
    Rift is actually quite mature - from a business model perspective it's probably the most "mature" MMO ever released from a "Day 1" standpoint.

Trion has a very defined target demographic and they are catering the game to that group with laser precision.

Their plan of riding in WoWs "wake" is brilliant. Not only have they tapped into the existing WoW playerbase but as time goes on and new players try Rift before WoW, Rift will be the "fallback" game just like WoW is to so many now.

Once the "new game boom" settles down and Rift gets into a "run mode", look for the game to support 12-15ish servers easily. That will constitute a huge success for Trion by any standards and with their very efficient, modular/cookie-cutter content approach they will continue to roll out content on a regular basis with a very low development cost.

So yes, Rift will survive and will be nicely profitable.

Not everyone likes what SWTOR and GW2 are offering, I for one can't stand star wars. SO yes, Rift will survive. There will always be people who like it more

I explained this to Trion once before in my threads.

The Key areas Rift need to focus on are

Endgame(meaning Max Level progression)

Level experience (meaning all the contents areas in the game that can also be applied to non max level players. things like Rifts and Events fit into this because it effect all level players as well as Max level players)

PvP

Trion need to add a Cross Server PvPvE zone with objective and PvP quest with PvE elements. No short durations. this zone should have week long battles like GW2 will have. put many things in this zone to fight for and conquer. Many Boss NPC to fight while dealing with enemy players. thats the most epic kind of PvPvE. Blow things up, with nice animations. NO 20 vs 20.. this should be server vs server. so you want MASSIVE ZONES for this. No PORT sized zones!!! that was lame!!!
    many area terrain to explore in this PvP zone. BIG BASES. EVERYTHING. REMEMBER week long battles. constant war. No 2 hour cooldown periods like WoW's Wintergrasp.

The Level experience, the lower levels need to be repopulated. Level Scaling feature for higher level players would be the FIRST MAJOR STEP HERE!!
    WHY? because which the tool to scale players down, it allow Trion's development team to develop contents that can be VERY INTERESTING, yet doesnt require that new feature to be a MAX LEVEL ONLY FEATURE. by making it a feature that low level can also do, this means that players that are new to the game and leveling, but dont like the traditional quest grind, can find something very interesting made by the developers, that also high level players can also find interest doing.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by laughingskull View Post
    Rift has a lot of unique things in the game that others really do not.
    Ummm.... Like...?

SWTOR seems to be very much like WOW on how it runs except that it is Star Wars IP.
    Ignoring for the moment that the game isn't even finished and that anyone who played this game in beta should know just how much things can change and how worthless pre-release (and, for a while, even post-release) inmpressions are... Ignoring all that, what in the world is with this "it's like WoW" stuff as a cut from people who are playing a game that is a carbon copy of WoW?

Seriously. "Hi, I play Rift and I know ToR will do badly because, unlike Rift, ToR is like WoW. Oh, and we all know how badly WoW did and why it's a terrible idea to copy it, good thing Rift didn't do that".

Oyvey, these forums never cease to amaze and amuse. If only the game were half as bizarrely entertaining.

I can see SWTOR being successful but not huge. It will have a large playerbase fast, but after a while people will see its nothing truly special.
    Well, Nostradamus, I'm really glad we got that out of the way. Now everyone can go cancel their pre-orders because we all know exactly how things are going to go.

As F2P yeah, as a pay to play no.

Star Wars launches Dec 20th, that will hit this game hard. After that and the initial 30 days free anyone that didn't care for it (assuming it's harder than this game, those that found it harder will jump back if they are casual).

Then of course GW2 and Diablo 3 will hit, and more will leave.

I don't see this game staying afloat without moving to F2P model. They keep changing it, and the idea seems to be to get those from WoW over here by making it a clone with added functionality (hence me being here as WoW is too bland).
    My YouTube Gaming Channel: www.youtube.com/saintavalon
    Thanks for the fun time Trion and Belmont Guardians for the Extra Life Event!

Depends on what, exactly, do you mean by survival. Imo, the short answer is yes.
    "There are levels of survival we are willing to accept"
    Evil Colonel Sanders, Matrix II.
    A computer once beat me at chess but it sure couldn't beat me at kick boxing.

anybody have something to say about my theory?

Of course it will.

I've heard the "x will kill y game" for over a decade now.

Rift will be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    Not really. I don't care about PvP, thus I don't agree with your comment about it. Honestly, I don't care about "end game" either, since this game is only 6 months old, hasn't even had 1, much less 3 or 4 expansions and raises to the level cap. So when people talk about "end game", I have to laugh. Talking about "End game" in a six month old game is MASSIVELY short sighted in a game that is updated every couple weeks/month.
    Last edited by Proclus_Lycaeus; 09-26-2011 at 12:50 PM.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Ascendant

I'm guessing it will survive. There are plenty of other, older MMORPGs which still run.

I doubt it will be a game with dozens of servers and a population that fills them, but it could consolidate down to a handful and run along nicely for years to come. Rift doesn't have to be "the next WoW" to survive. It just has to earn enough to deal with the upfront development costs, then turn enough business to keep up overhead and occasional updates and expansions.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

DB1

Why does one game need to fail for another to succeed. SWTOR can't be compared to any other genre for one reason, it already has its own following there are Star Wars fans who will just play because its starwars. It has its own legacy, the thing is if the game if good....if it is then the game will survive for a long time just because its Starwars. I really don't see it being a threat to rift except for the bandwagon players and they really don't count because they jump ship regardless of the game. I'll probably play both unless SWTOR sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    Yes.

Investing any resources in PvP would be a horrible business decision.

MMO PvP simply just does not work, other than as a niche endeavor. Every PvP centric MMO has been either a total or near total flop.

PvP in "mixed" MMO environments only complicates game design and brings in a substantially smaller population than PvE players.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Vexille View Post
    Yes.

Investing any resources in PvP would be a horrible business decision.

MMO PvP simply just does not work, other than as a niche endeavor. Every PvP centric MMO has been either a total or near total flop.

PvP in "mixed" MMO environments only complicates game design and brings in a substantially smaller population than PvE players.
    There was at least one PvP centric CORPG that was successful.

In a year or so we'll see if an MMORPG can be successful with a heavy investment in PvP.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    There was at least one PvP centric CORPG that was successful.

In a year or so we'll see if an MMORPG can be successful with a heavy investment in PvP.
    What is the name of the game with a successful pvp population? If it's Aion, that is not a success. Down to 4 servers in NA from 36 isn't a reason to write home about.
    Last edited by Sarasyn; 09-26-2011 at 12:59 PM.
    Just, comfortably numb....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast