+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Dont be fooled! NEVERWINTER is NOT A MMORPG

  1. #1
    Ascendant tro44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,999

    Default Dont be fooled! NEVERWINTER is NOT A MMORPG

    I am just adding extra warning here. Yes I know the Developers have said it. But so did ANet say GW1 isnt a MMO, yet nobody listens on these MMORPG promoting sites.

    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/634

    MMORPG.com list Neverwinter as a MMO, which time and time again the Developers say its not a MMO, but another Co-op RPG like Dungeon and Dragons online and Guild Wars 1 are.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Anuhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    I am just adding extra warning here. Yes I know the Developers have said it. But so did ANet say GW1 isnt a MMO, yet nobody listens on these MMORPG promoting sites.

    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/634

    MMORPG.com list Neverwinter as a MMO, which time and time again the Developers say its not a MMO, but another Co-op RPG like Dungeon and Dragons online and Guild Wars 1 are.
    It's taken with a pinch of salt these days, hell, Rift is an MMO, because there's a world, small, empty, with no content past the few hours to 50 when the lobby game starts, but isn't just an MMO, it's a next generation MMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

  3. #3
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    The distinctions between "Co-Op RPG" and "MMORPG" are pretty blurred, they share many things in common. For some. the GW1 model is superior since you don't have to deal with resource competition in an open world, you and your group can get things done without interference.

    In any case, why are you so intent on advertising this?
    Last edited by Kragorn; 09-26-2011 at 03:16 AM.

  4. #4
    Ascendant tro44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anuhart View Post
    It's taken with a pinch of salt these days, hell, Rift is an MMO, because there's a world, small, empty, with no content past the few hours to 50 when the lobby game starts, but isn't just an MMO, it's a next generation MMO.
    All MMO have a persistent world.

    Neverwinter and DDO and GW1 do not. none of them are MMO which explains why it makes sense for them to be F2P like all other non MMORPG normally are as well.

    so dont get fooled when a Online Multiplayer RPG starts throwing around that term "THIS GAME IS FREE TO PLAY"
    thats a marketing gimic to fool people into thinking its a MMO
    (even though they tell you it isnt).

    think about it. We have other genres of games that are also FTP after buying it. Do any of them constantly toss around that praise "HEY THIS GAME HAS NO SUB!"?

  5. #5
    Ascendant tro44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kragorn View Post
    The distinctions between "Co-Op RPG" and "MMORPG" are pretty blurred, they share many things in common. For some. the GW1 model is superior since you don't have to deal with resource competition in an open world, you and your group can get things done without interference.

    In any case, why are you so intent on advertising this?
    how is it superior if it is not the same genre?

    thats like saying RTS is superior to MMO because in WC3 is can have a party of NPC while in WoW you cant. that makes no sense.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Anuhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    All MMO have a persistent world.
    Which is my point.


    Take a co-op lobby game, add a small world with little to no meaning and it is by definition an MMO.

    The difference however? Is there a one?

    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

  7. #7
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    how is it superior if it is not the same genre?
    What a pointless question, considering I explained why I said what I said and also pointed out I don't accept your assertion that these ARE different genre at all.

  8. #8
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    4,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    I am just adding extra warning here. Yes I know the Developers have said it. But so did ANet say GW1 isnt a MMO, yet nobody listens on these MMORPG promoting sites.

    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/634

    MMORPG.com list Neverwinter as a MMO, which time and time again the Developers say its not a MMO, but another Co-op RPG like Dungeon and Dragons online and Guild Wars 1 are.
    DDO is a MMO, GW 1, not so much.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

  9. #9
    Ascendant tro44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    DDO is a MMO, GW 1, not so much.
    how is DDO a mmo if GW1 is not?

  10. #10
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    4,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    how is DDO a mmo if GW1 is not?
    cause a significant portion of DDO is persistant where less of GW 1 is. Also DDO has raids. GW does not. Not that raids really mean much but raids are really something exclusive to MMO's.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

  11. #11
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    802

    Default

    I think some people here are confused.

    RPG=Role play Game, Mostly defined as class/points distributed game (In fact Rift is not a RPG)
    MMO=Massive Multi Player, Nothing to do with grouping up, Raiding, or social activity, (it defines only that many people are on a server) by instance Second Life.
    CO-OP, mostly a Peer to Peer conection, with a small amount of people.

    GW1=RPGMMO.
    Rift =MMO (don't deserve RPG definition)
    Command and Conquer 4=CO-OP
    Fallout 3=Single Player
    Never winter nights 2=RPG

  12. #12
    Rift Chaser Deneeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kragorn View Post
    The distinctions between "Co-Op RPG" and "MMORPG" are pretty blurred, they share many things in common. For some. the GW1 model is superior since you don't have to deal with resource competition in an open world, you and your group can get things done without interference.
    Well, at least Anet has continued on that tradition of no resource competition in GW2 even with its open world. They really want to emphasize community and want people to be happy when they see other players in the world.

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deneeve View Post
    Well, at least Anet has continued on that tradition of no resource competition in GW2 even with its open world. They really want to emphasize community and want people to be happy when they see other players in the world.
    I am actually quite interested to see how this will work out. Might be a nice thing and a fresh change from current standards.

    As for the gw1 and rift comparison... The diferences on paper are clear and yes one has a persistent world but in both cases with the exception of 3 zones the rest is more or less like playing solo.

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple Dubsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    192

    Default

    massive multiplayer online role playing game

    lots of ppl (check)
    online (check)
    mutliplayer (check)
    role playing (check)
    game (check)

    pretty sure gw1 was a mmo

    stop over analyzing......
    The artist formally known as Dubs

  15. #15
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,471

    Default

    Neverwinter Nights was the first graphical MMORPG in existence (i guess it kinda depends on your definition though)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwi...%28AOL_game%29

    and no I'm not referring to the BioWare remake
    "Power is neccessary because conflict will never dissappear"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts