+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Mac support

Rift Disciple

Default Mac support

Does rift support a mac os?

No, best bet would be bootcamp or CrossOver Games. There is no native client.
    Last edited by Xanian; 09-25-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Plane Touched

unfortunately a friend tried to use CrossOver and Wine and neither worked well. He'd get booted everytime he opened his map

I still don't understand what may poses someone that is interested in any form of computer games to spend twice what thy need to spend, to get something that does half of what they want.

Nothing at all, ever, can be done on a Mac that can not be done to the same or a higher standard on a PC - and PC's do it for cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debase View Post
    If the only target audience for Rift is disenfranchised WoW players, its doomed imo.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Noaani View Post
    I still don't understand what may poses someone that is interested in any form of computer games to spend twice what thy need to spend, to get something that does half of what they want.

Nothing at all, ever, can be done on a Mac that can not be done to the same or a higher standard on a PC - and PC's do it for cheaper.
    +1

I learned this the hard way, and will never spend another dime on ANY Apple product. Ever.

commercials dont lie bro, cmon...

Default lol

Cling to that notion all you like, but there are fewer and fewer tech companies in the industry who still use Windows for their employees, unless their company actually developers for Windows or makes PCs.

Facebook, Google, Twitter, Apple (of course), all have two things in common: they are bitter rivals, and all use OS X.

In fact, Google outlawed Windows from even being anywhere on their campus years ago.

The reason you think Windows can do anything unix can do, and better, and cheaper, is because you only know about Windows, and have no idea how the actual tech world works.

All those employees at the companies I mentioned above, and the other countless tech companies who use OS X for their employee machines, would probably like to play Rift on their Macbook Pros (as they can WoW) instead of slumming it on their Windows machine.

Your cliches, they are about a decade old.

Quote Originally Posted by FaySilkweb View Post
    Cling to that notion all you like, but there are fewer and fewer tech companies in the industry who still use Windows for their employees, unless their company actually developers for Windows or makes PCs.

Facebook, Google, Twitter, Apple (of course), all have two things in common: they are bitter rivals, and all use OS X.

In fact, Google outlawed Windows from even being anywhere on their campus years ago.

The reason you think Windows can do anything unix can do, and better, and cheaper, is because you only know about Windows, and have no idea how the actual tech world works.

All those employees at the companies I mentioned above, and the other countless tech companies who use OS X for their employee machines, would probably like to play Rift on their Macbook Pros (as they can WoW) instead of slumming it on their Windows machine.

right. nothing like buying a crap macbook and using bootcamp instead of just going right to the source.

Plane Touched

if UNIX is the only reason you use a mac, I have sad news for you...

As a software developer let me be the first to say...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm a card carrying FSF member(Member #7822, and my card is a bootable usb drive with gNewSense on it) and support Free software, development of open systems, etc - but by no means whatsoever is it true that tech companies in the industry are slowing down on using Windows. At least, not in favor of MacOS. We're slowly converting people to Linux, but Mac's growing popularity and more-non-standard-than-Windows software environment is causing a massive headache.

There are companies like the one I work for, where we operate in a multi-OS environment, only using Windows as one of several development environments. That's more bleeding edge than my former employer - a software developer who is still using VB4 to maintain the database on their Windows 95 System.

The new trend is OS Independence. I can't wait until asking someone what OS they're running is going to be the same asking what kind of monitor they're using. Packaging up a program and distributing it without concern of whether it's in exe, tar, or dmg, what a dream that would be. Google's Chromium is Linux-based, and has all the flexibility that that implies. Mac is Unix-based, and Mac users love to vaunt that that means they're an Open Source system, so on and so forth. Reality of it is that while they're Unix based, the particular kernel they use(XNL) is BSD Licensed and not GNU, which means that they're not required to disclose any changes they've made, or to make the source available. And they don't.

Apple and Microsoft are the ones trying to force the market to be proprietary. I'd say Apple is more guilty, if less successful, than Microsoft.
    Last edited by DepricatedZero; 09-25-2011 at 10:27 PM.
    "Can you see the flag rising up beyond the smoke
    Of dying authors burning books? Was a problem what they wrote
    The flag is hard to read, all flags look the same
    Covered in the blood of the faithless and insane"
    Operation Ivy - Missionary

I design corporate networks for a living. Just a FYI, nobody is using Apple. The world is run on Linux, with Windows machines for clients.

I have to agree that the overpriced Mac hardware isn't something you should buy, Os X is actually a decent Os though and runs very well on a more sensible Pc setup, easily one of my favorites besides Linux.. windows is for gaming and a necessary evil as a client Os.
    Last edited by Xanian; 09-26-2011 at 03:22 AM.

Default Three Things

1) It took, what three posts before a simple question about Mac support turned into yet another OS war? Sheesh, who cares what people use to play games or access the Internet?

2) I have a Macbook Pro running Windows 7 Ultimate as my main machine. Macs tend to be amazing hardware, despite the "Apple Tax" you pay. Of course, now that I'm hooked on Rift I want a faster computer to play it... which means my next computer will be a Windows box that I build from scratch.

3) Hitler. There, now we can end the debate.

everything relevant to this thread ended with depricatedzero.

Quote Originally Posted by DepricatedZero View Post
    As a software developer let me be the first to say...
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    I see you bring your Internet Atheist style 'debate' to the Rift forums as well. I've been working tech in Silicon Valley since you were eight years old, so you can save the ePeen act on me, it just makes me feel sad for you.

You seem to have missed the point that the largest companies in tech are almost all OS X now for their employee machines. I'm not talking about whatever tiny company no one has heard of that you work for, but actual real companies who are the leaders in this industry. You can wish it weren't true all you want, but if you ever bothered to go through job listings for Silicon Valley, you would see more and more mention OS X.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast