+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: WoW, the Aion Rip-Off

Rift Disciple

Default WoW, the Aion Rip-Off

WoW is a clone of Aion because you can have wings now!!!!

WoW is a Batman rip off because the new tier gear makes you look like Batman!! -at least the rogues does-

/rant off

This is a post to show how wrong people are when they call Rift a WoW clone, simply because the genre template is the same. There is nothing in Rift that reminds me of WoW; or any other MMO, at all. Except for the "quest/grind/pvp/grind/craft/grind" template of the genre, and the lack of help/patience and civility from the community. However, being an MMO, Rift can never escape genre roots. The community? Well, nothing can be done about bad parenting.

Calling Rift a WoW clone, is like calling a Ferrari a Ford Pinto clone. Simply because they both use gas, have tires, and a steering wheel. Does not make it a 'clone'.

So if you'd rather play WoW, go back. It's the same car, just different paint.
    Last edited by Stormon; 09-25-2011 at 04:05 AM.
    When people say you suck. Just remember, they just have a better macro than you do, NOT that they play better. Ask them to share.

Yup this is going to end well.

Ascendant

Its all just Dungeons and Dragons, Blade of Destiny, Eye of the Beholder, Ishar... etc. Nothing has really changed in this type of game. Lord of the Rings set to better computers. Whether of the modern stuff is more entertaining than Settlers on the Amiga.. I doubt. Personally, I liked Ishar way more than this cus in that game you got to assemble your magician, archer, warrior and pickpocket from the rabble you came across while adventuring. And at least I felt like I was on an 'adventure'. It had all the stuff here, inns, mobs, battle sequences, armory upgrading, magical skill enhancements through gear... And that was 1993. I don't see clones I see a games genre and in the case if Rift probably marked in the region of 3 out of 10 compared to say Blade of Destiny etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormon View Post

WoW is a Batman rip off because the new tier gear makes you look like Batman!! -at least the rogues does-

/rant off

This is a post to show how wrong people are when they call Rift a WoW clone, simply because the genre template is the same. There is nothing in Rift that reminds me of WoW; or any other MMO, at all. Except for the "quest/grind/pvp/grind/craft/grind" template of the genre, and the lack of help/patience and civility from the community. However, being an MMO, Rift can never escape genre roots. The community? Well, nothing can be done about bad parenting.

Calling Rift a WoW clone, is like calling a Ferrari a Ford Pinto clone. Simply because they both use gas, have tires, and a steering wheel. Does not make it a 'clone'.

Rift took a lot from various MMO's and added a bit more.

The WoW clone comments or rather comparisons are real, for two reasons.

1) WoW is the Xpound Gorilla, it will therefore always be used as a comparison.

2) "We are not in Azeroth anymore" "Join our Horde". Trion themselves started the comparison and pushed the point that Rift would be so much different "where we are really unique is that gray area in between the two that really nobody has done a whole lot with. Bluntly, there aren’t a whole lot of games that have done much with that gray area at all".

Sadly Trion didn't do a whole lot with that grey area either. They brought the comparisons on themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Outside of the linear quest lines, focus on end game raiding, tiered dungeons and currency, crafting, 3 soul class system, warfronts, centralized main cities, convience tools, auction house, worlds events and mounts.....I would agree.

Beyond those, Rift is definitely not a clone of WoW.
    “Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.” - Ambrose Redmoon

Quote Originally Posted by Kalura View Post
    Outside of the linear quest lines, focus on end game raiding, tiered dungeons and currency, crafting, 3 soul class system, warfronts, centralized main cities, convience tools, auction house, worlds events and mounts.....I would agree.

Beyond those, Rift is definitely not a clone of WoW.
    What's left beyond those things? Artifacts?
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Well whatever it is, it ain't sarcasm detector!!

I don't log in anymore.

Plane Walker

/rant off

It is always nice to be dreaming
    Just mind when you wake up the reality may be ugly

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    zomg artifacts are an EverQuest2 clone! ... oh... wait... nm Scott Hartsmann helped make those too ;)

These days Originality is proportional to the obscurity of that which you copied... so we might as well get over it, thats just how the industry works... its a million dollar budget where risk taking is NOT an option, so they have to copy the stuff that they know that people will like...
    You see it in the movies as well, and definetely in the music industry...

ps. i friggin love Rift

Quote Originally Posted by Tastygraph View Post
    zomg artifacts are an EverQuest2 clone! ... oh... wait... nm Scott Hartsmann helped make those too ;)

These days Originality is proportional to the obscurity of that which you copied... so we might as well get over it, thats just how the industry works... its a million dollar budget where risk taking is NOT an option, so they have to copy the stuff that they know that people will like...
    You see it in the movies as well, and definetely in the music industry...

ps. i friggin love Rift
    Well, this would say different, it wasn't "copy the stuff that they know that people will like" as they themselves said you can get that from any MMO. It was something different they said you should play Rift for. That something different didn't materialise.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hartsman
    If you want to be Joe solo-guy you can play any MMO, if you want to be Joe raid-guy you can play any MMO, but if you want to be part of a shifting social landscape – well, then maybe you should play Rift.

I don't log in anymore.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Ajhal View Post
    Its all just Dungeons and Dragons, Blade of Destiny, Eye of the Beholder, Ishar... etc. Nothing has really changed in this type of game. Lord of the Rings set to better computers. Whether of the modern stuff is more entertaining than Settlers on the Amiga.. I doubt. Personally, I liked Ishar way more than this cus in that game you got to assemble your magician, archer, warrior and pickpocket from the rabble you came across while adventuring. And at least I felt like I was on an 'adventure'. It had all the stuff here, inns, mobs, battle sequences, armory upgrading, magical skill enhancements through gear... And that was 1993. I don't see clones I see a games genre and in the case if Rift probably marked in the region of 3 out of 10 compared to say Blade of Destiny etc.
    Hehe. Eye of the Beholder and the Amiga Brought back some amazing memories. Dungeon Master was my Favorite
    I also heard the flouride in the toothpaste is part of Stalin's mind control plot to turn mankind into a race of super robots to fight the Martian invaders.
    Originally Posted by Mr Spock
    (One of those rift players that reads the forums but never posts because I am too busy playing the game.)

Soulwalker

They copied success and still managed to fail.

Soulwalker

"There is nothing in Rift that reminds me of WoW; or any other MMO, at all. Except for the "quest/grind/pvp/grind/craft/grind" template of the genre, and the lack of help/patience and civility from the community." "The community? Well, nothing can be done about bad parenting."

Let's improve the community. I think servers should me merged to increase overall population.

Plane Touched

There is nothing in Rift that reminds me of WoW; or any other MMO, at all.
    It would seem your pattern recognition capabilities are... Lacking.

No, not all MMOs are "WoW clones".

Go play Fallen Earth, come back and tell me it plays anything at all like WoW.

Go play Eve Online, come back and tell me it plays anything at all like WoW.

Go play AoC, come back and tell me it's anything more than vaguely similar to WoW.

Hell, go play WAR, come back and tell me that, however flawed the rest of the game may be, you didn't notice how the ruleset supports PvP rather than being yet another half arsed attempt to graft PvP onto a PvE ruleset.

The gap between the WoW model and games like Eve and Fallen Earth is vast. The gap between the WoW model and Rift you couldn't find with a scanning electron microscope.

That doesn't necessarily make Fallen Earth -- a game that has done so poorly it recently was sold to the world's worst P2W shop -- or Eve -- a game whose player population is comprised of 80% sociopaths, 20% CPAs -- great games. It doesn't mean that Rift is good or bad because of it's extreme similarity to WoW. What it does mean is you'd have to be a bloody idiot lacking in any powers of association whatsoever not to notice that Rift is as deliberate a WoW clone as it's possible to make without a Cease and Desist order rapidly following.

Expecting people not to notice is the height of foolishness.

Not in Azeroth anymore? Hmmm... Let me check my map.
    Last edited by Myria; 09-25-2011 at 07:03 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Anuhart View Post
    Well whatever it is, it ain't sarcasm detector!!
    I love these forums. I quit a while ago. But I love the forums.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast