+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Rift: from premiere MMO to irrelevant in 6 months

Default Rift: from premiere MMO to irrelevant in 6 months

What happened? Rift was the biggest news in MMO's since WoW upon its polished and smooth release. It was so familiar yet so new at the same time, and was the talk of the town.

Fast forward to 9/2011.

Rift? If you don't play it you would not know it is still around. I have never seen a MMO go from being seen as the new premiere MMO (under WoW still, of course) to virtually non-existent outside of its player base in such a short time. I hear more about AoC and LOTRO than I do Rift.

The bad news, BIG titles are right around the corner.

What is Trion doing about it?

It was "NEW" back then. so the features was interesting.

but as we play the game we see, not much is really new in the game. just innovative.

Rift is still major talk in the MMO news cycle, so I have no clue what you're basing this on.

And I assume you're talking about SWToR and GW2 with your last point. The first one is a game that doesn't nearly live up to the hype surrounding it, and the second isn't even a subscription model.

Small, untested dev team makes a fantastic, polished MMO and has a great amount of success, and yet people are calling it a failure. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    It was "NEW" back then. so the features was interesting.

but as we play the game we see, not much is really new in the game. just innovative.
    This has got to be a typo somewhere tro, lol.

You say it's not new but "innovative"?

Innovative means new, original, groundbreaking.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 09-24-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock View Post
    This has got to be a typo somewhere tro, lol.

You say it's not new but "innovative"?

Innovative means new, original, groundbreaking.
    It can also mean making changes to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lande View Post
    It can also mean making changes to something.
    Hmm.. by that loose definition of yours then, every mmo is 'innovative'.

Is that the standard we are looking at now?

DEV 1: "Hey guys.. I figured out a way to fit seven bags on a toon instead of six WoW has!"

DEV 2: "Innovation!"
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 09-24-2011 at 01:17 PM.

How did it happen? MMO's without enough content for the masses fail. PvP content hasn't been pushed out fast enough. Solo content is just coming. The list goes on. There are too many upcoming games for RIFT to dominate anymore. SWTOR now has a date and the hype train for GW2 is growing at a steady rate. If you think its bad now wait until after the 3rd.
    Last edited by Lockiszemode; 09-24-2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Pre-server merges BS statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Given how quickly population seems to be growing overall, I think we'll see new servers before mergers.
    Post server merges BS Statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I think at this point I'm obliged to grant that functionally I was wrong about mergers.
    A quick snap of the neck keeps those corpses nice and dead like." ~ Ferry

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Lande View Post
    Rift is still major talk in the MMO news cycle, so I have no clue what you're basing this on.

And I assume you're talking about SWToR and GW2 with your last point. The first one is a game that doesn't nearly live up to the hype surrounding it, and the second isn't even a subscription model.

Small, untested dev team makes a fantastic, polished MMO and has a great amount of success, and yet people are calling it a failure. Wow.
    Actually I play rift and Lotro and yes Lotro is a "subscription model" as you put it,it's called vip in lotro and almost every one that plays it is Vip. i've said this a million times i'll say it again give rift time it's still so new to the world. And so this guy doesn't flame this last part of my comment was directed at the fools who think this game is dying

Champion

I think we can safely say that Trion has pushed out more content than WoW had at the 6-month mark.

So, give it a rest and let's wait a year and see where the game is then. Maybe it will take less, and maybe not.

Question I have for you and others that are posting about Rift's demise - WHY are you still here then.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor7 View Post
    I think we can safely say that Trion has pushed out more content than WoW had at the 6-month mark.

So, give it a rest and let's wait a year and see where the game is then. Maybe it will take less, and maybe not.

Question I have for you and others that are posting about Rift's demise - WHY are you still here then.
    Demise is a strong word. And loaded as well.

I prefer to use "falling attrition rates". It's much more.. accurate without hyperbole.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 09-24-2011 at 01:29 PM.

I don't much care for 'BIG' titles that aren't released yet and using that as a comparison to Rift. I believe Trion has done a pretty good job on giving us fresh content to explore and rather quickly too. I got some major bills out of the way now, so I'll more than likely get a 6month sub renewal, and still try out some of the next titles. Just for variety.
    Just, comfortably numb....

Quote Originally Posted by Mako482 View Post
    What happened? Rift was the biggest news in MMO's since WoW upon its polished and smooth release. It was so familiar yet so new at the same time, and was the talk of the town.

Fast forward to 9/2011.

Rift? If you don't play it you would not know it is still around. I have never seen a MMO go from being seen as the new premiere MMO (under WoW still, of course) to virtually non-existent outside of its player base in such a short time. I hear more about AoC and LOTRO than I do Rift.

The clue is in your own post.

Fast forward to 9/2011.

The answer..... Fast forward to 50.

Everything wrong in Rift can be linked back to the poorly designed XP mechanic in some way. Whoever signed off on that has a lot to answer for. Not only did it have umpteen directly related problems but it brought other problems to view far too early, problems that might never even have been, with more time.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

It's not the game that's changed.

pig
    Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Mako482 View Post

Fast forward to 9/2011.

So what MMO out there would you consider "relevant?"

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Anuhart View Post
    The clue is in your own post.

Fast forward to 9/2011.

The answer..... Fast forward to 50.

Everything wrong in Rift can be linked back to the poorly designed XP mechanic in some way. Whoever signed off on that has a lot to answer for. Not only did it have umpteen directly related problems but it brought other problems to view far too early, problems that might never even have been, with more time.
    I'm not sure I agree with "everything", but generally speaking I agree with the fact that levelling to 50 was too easy / fast. So much so that entire portions of content and available "mechanics" in game play pleasure were simply wastelanded.

For what reason? Just to get to 50 so one can hop onto the 50's grind?

A basic human dynamics principle, somewhat along the lines of a "leopard can't change it's spots" applies here: If the game can't present some sense of persistence and worthy pleasure in it's first 49 levels you've already run the operational testbed it's not likely to be present suddenly at 50, boing!, it's all gonna be ok now just cause it's 50.

From nice gear rewards (rare planar goods) to faction rep and faction items (runes, crafting recipes, etc.) to crafting to availability of items on the AH (a factor quite telling, just look at the HOLES in available goods on the AH), to tracking through STORY Quests, all negatively impacted IMO because of the spring-board approach to popping people to 50 ASAP.

Making the first 49 levels "trivial" simply sets you up for a fall.

IMO of course.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast