+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Rift: from premiere MMO to irrelevant in 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by Ancem View Post
    Since the posters here don't have access to accurate info regarding new/cancelled subs and actual data about the number of players at a given time on each server, I am skeptical that there has been/will be such an exodus as they claim. The servers I've played on, at least, are as busy now as they were three or four months ago, I haven't seen anything to convince me the game is dying.
    We've had a few sources of numbers, and everything suggests that number of people subscribed has been increasing. We mostly don't play as much as we did at launch, but there's a lot of people around.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
    I can name 10 dying servers.

The most obvious ones are Molinar and Freeholme.

Stop playing on Wolfsbane or Deepstrike bro, those servers together have like 50% of the RIFT players.
    I've never visited either. RP servers are pretty active, since the people there have more motivation to interact. And the servers where I have characters are just as active now as when I signed up.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    We've had a few sources of numbers, and everything suggests that number of people subscribed has been increasing. We mostly don't play as much as we did at launch, but there's a lot of people around.
    Yes, that's true. The only official comment I have seen - from a Trion employee who *does* have access to reliable data - was that the total # of subs has gone up every month since April. So since the free month expired and the tire kickers went back to WoW, until at least last month, the game has only grown. And the entire time, Chicken Little has been screaming that the sky is falling.

So I am a little skeptical that suddenly the game is dying.
    Last edited by Ancem; 09-25-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancem View Post
    Yes, that's true. The only official comment I have seen - from a Trion employee who *does* have access to reliable data - was that the total # of subs has gone up every month since April. So since the free month expired and the tire kickers went back to WoW, until at least last month, the game has only grown. And the entire time, Chicken Little has been screaming that the sky is falling.

So I am a little skeptical that suddenly the game is dying.
    Not making any assumptions here.

But a 6 month sub is a 6 month sub.

If for example
    100 x 6 month subs (50 of which stopped playing at 3 month)
    100 x month to month subs.

Game has 200 subs.

Each month
    10 of the month to month subs don't renew.
    11 new subs come in each month.

Game subs are growing.

6 month mark

Game goes from having a steady growing sub of 206 to having 156.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by notebene View Post
    Well you 'did' call it a 'steaming pile'

Though then saying "it's a matter of taste" is a bit grim.

But I agree completely, you should really try everything, if you have the means to, 'especially' those that try to do something different. I do the same, and if I find 2-3 that are 'more' fun for me to play than what I'm currently playing, then some of those things I'm currently playing get shelved. Not because I wasn't having fun, but because I'm having 'more' fun playing that other thing. Not to say I don't come revisit things I once played either.

I haven't read a single thing about GW2. There were things about GW that I thought were fun, and I'm going to give GW2 a try too.
    Ftr GW2 is going to be nothing like GW1. The only thing they have in common is the lore. Gameplay wise just about everything is different or greatly improved on from GW1.

I suggest going onto youtube and looking up some GW2 videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockiszemode View Post
    How did it happen? MMO's without enough content for the masses fail. PvP content hasn't been pushed out fast enough. Solo content is just coming. The list goes on. There are too many upcoming games for RIFT to dominate anymore. SWTOR now has a date and the hype train for GW2 is growing at a steady rate. If you think its bad now wait until after the 3rd.
    Yeah. SWTOR will go into onscurity quickly. No dual advanced specs (the freedom to choose between them) and the debate over dual talent specs? Like is that even debatable? I get one spec to PVP and PVE with. No thanks.

Note : I wish I could get my money back. Been watching it turn into a turd ball.

Either way I get to pewpew.
    "I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing." Rogue for life.
    If Zyzyx considers himself an elite Rogue, (he does) than from here on out I'll be the crappiest Rogue I can be.

Rift Chaser

While I enjoy the raiding in Rift, theres more people playing Aion than Rift now, which makes me /sadface.
    I use that xfire website to check fyi, just look at all the mmo numbers on it

http://www.xfire.com/games/rft/RIFT/

Quote Originally Posted by dorfadin View Post
    While I enjoy the raiding in Rift, theres more people playing Aion than Rift now, which makes me /sadface.

Are you kidding me? Someone else attempting to use Xfire to prove a point?

Stop it.

Plane Touched

Whats Xfire? Do people actually use a tracker program?

LOL that's like judging the success of an MMO by it's Facebook "likes"

It is one small tool used my a small percentage of gamers. It is not an accurate sample size, and should not even be used to validate the state of a game.
    Sir Azyurel of Eternal
    Eternal of Greybriar
    "WTF is the internet?"

Still having lots of fun here. server cluster is still strong, my server has a bustling pop that seems to be increasing. People constantly forming daily raid rift groups and the like. Dunno what the OP is on about.

Rift Disciple

I can see that this thread is getting a lot of responses in rapid succession, so it's likely this post will be overlooked...

The server I'm currently on, Asphodel, has been doing nothing but growing rapidly in the past month and a half. We used to be a relatively low pop server, now Meridian is almost always packed with people waiting on warfronts and setting up DRRs

This game is still very much growing - I was considering trying SWTOR but I really think it's going to flop. There's no way for a game to live up to the hype it's been getting.

I think if everyone reevaluates the game they'd see we have it pretty damn good in this game.
    Last edited by Trippindicular; 09-25-2011 at 12:38 PM.
    <Rigor Mortis> is recruiting for Defiant side on Dayblind, send a PM for more info!

Quote Originally Posted by Anuhart View Post
    Not making any assumptions here.

But a 6 month sub is a 6 month sub.

If for example
    100 x 6 month subs (50 of which stopped playing at 3 month)
    100 x month to month subs.

Game has 200 subs.

Each month
    10 of the month to month subs don't renew.
    11 new subs come in each month.

Game subs are growing.

6 month mark

Game goes from having a steady growing sub of 206 to having 156.
    ... and then continues growing smoothly. Everyone wins!

Not denying that longer-term subs can stay subscribed long after the players lose interest, but if there's enough people logged in to find teams -- and there certainly are -- then the population of people who are still playing is good enough.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    ... and then continues growing smoothly. Everyone wins!

Not denying that longer-term subs can stay subscribed long after the players lose interest, but if there's enough people logged in to find teams -- and there certainly are -- then the population of people who are still playing is good enough.
    Yeah, I'm just pointing out that the vague info we get that even with taking unsubs into account, the subs are increasing, doesn't necessarily mean growth.

And, sadly, I'm right now hopping around SR nibbling at my gathering achievement, at 9.00pm on a Sunday and an invasion fails, all three WS's gone in 5 mins flat without a single rift closed. On one of the supposedly highest if not the highest EU shards. /shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptFailure View Post
    First problem: ok, they release too much content. And you'd be complaining if there wasn't enough either.

Second: yes, it is impossible for there to be improvement. They have literally reached the peak of quality with Rift. Yep, totally impossible for any improvement.

You gotta work on your talking points.
    There's a large difference between fluff content and actual game content. Sorry, but I couldn't give a **** about "Veteran Awards" because to be honest, they are ****ing stupid and hold absolutely no real meaning or benefit to anyone. If I want to dress up and look cool I'll go play Aion. Nobody gives a **** about aesthetics anymore. Quality of gameplay has always been more appealing to the masses than anything.

Tell me what exactly RIFT can do that will revive their game? I can give you 2 reason right now why those won't work. TOR & GW2.

RIFT did hit it's peak and with terrible itemization, balance, lackluster content with buggy *** raid zones purposely cockblocking guilds - try telling me there's more to be had.

Stop being a fanboy and accept the fact the game is slowly dying. For a game that came out 7-8 Years AFTER WoW came out, I expected a little bit more from RIFT and Trion considering they had those 7-8 years to look at what WoW made a mistake on and not make those mistakes. They failed to do that.
    Last edited by Gill; 09-27-2011 at 06:26 AM. Reason: rude

Raminoodle / <Vantage> / Warrior
    Grieves / <Vantage> / Mage
    Caffiene / <Vantage> / Rogue
    *Click for LIVE Stream*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast