+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What in the World is World of Warcraft up to?

  1. #1
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    281

    Default What in the World is World of Warcraft up to?

    So WoW is releasing 4.3 soon. I don't like saying soon because it probably won't be, but probably by the end of the year.

    4.3 you say? So what, they have about 7 more patches before the next X-pac is released.

    Apparently not?

    Blizzard just announced the death of Deathwing in this patch. Yes, you heard me right, the main antagonist of Cataclysm will be dying in 4.3. What exactly are they trying to do, roll out the next x-pac so they can get another 50 dollars per player?

    Anyone have any thoughts? Because I cannot even begin to comprehend why they would do this...

  2. #2
    Plane Touched Naethir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihas2buckets View Post
    So WoW is releasing 4.3 soon. I don't like saying soon because it probably won't be, but probably by the end of the year.

    4.3 you say? So what, they have about 7 more patches before the next X-pac is released.

    Apparently not?

    Blizzard just announced the death of Deathwing in this patch. Yes, you heard me right, the main antagonist of Cataclysm will be dying in 4.3. What exactly are they trying to do, roll out the next x-pac so they can get another 50 dollars per player?

    Anyone have any thoughts? Because I cannot even begin to comprehend why they would do this...
    huh, no one replies besides me..... not trying to troll, but you probably should have known better than to bring up anything WoW related, even to the Off-Topic forum. people will either ignore or troll/flame. The exception is me of course, but that was the shortest expansion ever...
    Naetharion-Warrior of Wolfsbane
    "Basically when you're a Warrior you just look at everybody like they're a piece of Sh*t."-Gearbreaker
    Lambpasta-Mage of Wolfsbane
    "Go Squirrel Crazy!"

  3. #3
    Rift Master Shannae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    645

    Default

    The big bad of the expansion being on the chopping block isn't the end of the expansion. In LK, for example, Ruby Sanctum came out after Arthas had been defeated. In BC, they decided to make Sunwell after Illidan had fallen.

    And I have no idea where this notion that a WoW expansion has ten minor version number updates comes from. None of them have, ever, yet I see it a lot on forums.

    Morheim did assure people WoW was going to get "more frequent, but smaller updates" which has yet to materialize. Watch that have meant expansions, not content patches.
    "You're right. Technically he has the right to cry about it. And I have the right to mock him for crying about something stupid." ~Bridgeburner
    "Try to hate other people less, you might enjoy life more." ~Tenet

    73 Likes , 1 Infraction, Liked 228 posts, and counting...

  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Technically it would be right in line with the release of Icecrown (Kill arthas, main expansion baddy) in wrath of the lich king. Icecrown was out for a year before the release of Cataclysm. Lets look at some timelines.

    November 2008 - Wrath of the Lich King released
    April 2009 - Ulduar raid released, major content.
    August 2009 - Trial of the Crusader raid released, filler/transitional content
    December 2009 - Icecrown Citadel raid released, major expansion closure content.
    June 2010 - Ruby Sanctum raid released, transitional filler content to tie in the Cataclysm storyline, brought in due to delays in the development/release of Cataclysm.

    Decemeber 2010 - Cataclysm released.
    June 2011 - Firelands raid released, major content.
    December 2011/Jan 2012 - Deathwing raid expected release, major expansion closure content.

    Both cases show the major closure content being released around a year after the expansion release, and based on my experiences with the Beta and public testing of blizzard content I can tell you that you will not see Deathwing raid before december. Chances are that the new expansion pack won't be released until around november/december 2012. Right in line with previous expansions.


    Essencially you the OP has lost track of time, or has no experience of previous wow expansions? Every one has lasted (and cata will too) 2 years, even though blizzard stated they wanted their expansions to last between 1-1.5 years rather than the 2years they have managed.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 09-21-2011 at 07:26 PM.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,609

    Default

    This expansion is likely 1/3-2/3 (more like 1/2ish) into itself.

    Still have at least a year before WoWers should hanker for another expansion

  6. #6
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    I'd assume expansions will be more frequent under the new Activision world. Look at what they did for Starcraft.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  7. #7
    Ascendant Hoss616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    He will die and probably come back and a zombie version lol...ZOMBIE DRAGON!
    Hoss

  8. #8
    Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    I would like to take this opportunity of being in a good mood to thank the forum mods for stopping closing all threads in Rift Off-Topic related to other MMO's. Because this forum rite here is currently my favorite one to peek into at a random moment. You never know what's going to show up.

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser CaptFailure's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Deathwing was dead all along. It was really Nozdormu's evil self from the future the entire time. You beat him (the true big bad) in a 5-man, and Deathwing himself in a raid with only 8 bosses, two of which are Deathwing. War of the Ancients also got reduced to a 5-man were you steal the Dragon Soul from the past and bring it to the future, even though such a thing would screw up the lore in the worst way.

    QUALITY
    BLIZZARD
    WRITING
    Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock
    SWTOR will hit a big enough audience on it's own to be successful. Know why? Because Star Wars has fanbois just like you: that would buy anything that says SW on the box that know nothing about Bioware.
    When defending something, the best course of action is not to admit the only thing going for it is blind devotion.

  10. #10
    Plane Touched Taemien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihas2buckets View Post
    So WoW is releasing 4.3 soon. I don't like saying soon because it probably won't be, but probably by the end of the year.

    4.3 you say? So what, they have about 7 more patches before the next X-pac is released.

    Apparently not?

    Blizzard just announced the death of Deathwing in this patch. Yes, you heard me right, the main antagonist of Cataclysm will be dying in 4.3. What exactly are they trying to do, roll out the next x-pac so they can get another 50 dollars per player?

    Anyone have any thoughts? Because I cannot even begin to comprehend why they would do this...
    Blizzard is pretty tame on how they release their expansions. You get a full year to get everything done. Unlike SOE with EQ and EQ2 with expansions every 4-6 months. And recently their Velious expansion in EQ2 is being released in TWO parts. Basically you need to spend 50 a piece for the full story.

    As for Version numbers here's how it works:

    X.Y.Z

    X is for major content patches involving Expansions. 1.0 Vanilla, 2.0 Burning Crusade, 3.0 Wrath of the Lich King, 4.0 Cataclysm.

    Y is for large content patches. 3.0 Naxxaramas, 3.1 Ulduar, 3.2 Crusaders Coliseum, ect.

    Z is for minor patches and hotfixes.

    Blizzard isn't the only one to use this system. Rift does as well. Except its more like X.Y - Hotfix Z. EQ2 just numbers all X and Y patches sequentially, not differentiating them at all. Like Game Update or GU45.

    The numbers don't have to go up to 10, or even stop at 10. Vanilla WoW I believe had all the way up to 1.14.Z or higher. But in the end, version numbers differ from company to company. Windows Vista SP2 is 6.0.6002

    Now some might think killing Deathwing, a major lore character, is wrong. I disagree.. the bastard should have been dead to start. You kill him in Warcraft 2.

  11. #11
    Plane Touched Meeki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    251

    Default

    I gave up caring about WoW a long time ago, which is kind of sad because I had an account early in, the special edition with the little panda, diablo and zergling pets. I do love pandas. ;_; But eh, Cataclysm didn't really appeal to me. I quit shortly before it came out and never looked back.
    http://meeki.net/images/sketch/rift/forumsig.png

  12. #12
    Ascendant Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverangel69 View Post
    I would like to take this opportunity of being in a good mood to thank the forum mods for stopping closing all threads in Rift Off-Topic related to other MMO's. Because this forum rite here is currently my favorite one to peek into at a random moment. You never know what's going to show up.
    Rift mods don't close every thread that is ABOUT other MMOs. We close those that are promoting or advertising other MMOs.

    From our Code of Conduct:
    "Advertising: If you have a fan site or a guild site, by all means let the RIFT community know about it, but advertisements and promotions that are unrelated to RIFT do not belong on our forums. This includes promoting other games, outside services, and anything that would net you monetary gain.
    "

  13. #13
    Rift Master Khalsa84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    621

    Default

    only thing i ever enjoyed about wow was watching the epsoide of south park - world of war craft

    thats about it :/ only played 7 days so don think its fair to say much

  14. #14
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khalsa84 View Post
    only thing i ever enjoyed about wow was watching the epsoide of south park - world of war craft

    thats about it :/ only played 7 days so don think its fair to say much
    The episode was called "Make Love, Not Warcraft"


    Just to restate what i said earlier.


    All WoW expansions have lasted 2 years, and Cataclysm will have been out for 2 years before the next release. Blizzcon 2011 will showcase the Deathwing raid, and perhaps the announcement of another expansion, Blizzcon 2012 will showcase the new expansion, ready for release around christmas.

    Just like every other expansion.

  15. #15
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naethir View Post
    huh, no one replies besides me..... not trying to troll, but you probably should have known better than to bring up anything WoW related, even to the Off-Topic forum. people will either ignore or troll/flame. The exception is me of course, but that was the shortest expansion ever...
    I'm not trying to bring up which game is better. This simply confounds me though when they are trying to keep their players.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts