+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Multicultural Community: UK and Canadian Slang

Shadowlander

Default Multicultural Community: UK and Canadian Slang

(I wrote this guide for my guild, posting here for others)

We are fortunate enough to have some folks with us from other countries so I wanted to take some time to educate everyone on the guild’s multicultural policy.

It is NOT ACCEPTABLE to slander, make intentionally hurtful or judgmental remarks, or otherwise be an ****** about other countries throughout the world.

With that out of the way, here are a few slang terms that our British and Canadian guildmates may use during raids to avoid any confusion

The UK

“anti-clockwise” – counter-clockwise
    “beastly” – bad or nasty (not awesome, which is what it sounds like)
    “belt-up” – shutup
    “blinding” – awesome
    “cock up” – a mistake
    “faff” – to dither, lollygag, take your sweet time in a bad way
    “gormless” – clueless
    “jammy” – lucky
    “sort it out” – to fix a problem
    “waffle” to babble on and on about something
    “zonked” – exhausted

Canadians

“cooked it” - something done wrong
    “eh” – just smile and nod, this can mean just about (pronounced a-boot) anything.
    “hork” – to steal (also, “jacked”)
    “keener” – a brown-noser

-Noahbash the Ironclad of <Pandorum>

Quote Originally Posted by Devilchameleon View Post

Canadians

“eh” – just smile and nod, this can mean just about (pronounced a-boot) anything.
    “keener” – a brown-noser

As a Canadian, I can honestly say the only thing I have heard on this list is 'eh.' And that is usually said by Americans, making fun of Canadians.

The thing I've heard from UKers lately that has me semi scratching my head is 'muppet' I have the feeling they aren't referring to Kermit the frog. What does muppet mean? Are you calling someone a plush puppet with a hand up their bum controlling their every action?
    BLIZZARD: First off, it's important that everyone remembers that feedback needs to remain constructive... using profanity in your posts, no matter how strongly you may feel about something, is not appropriate.
    TRION: If something ****ing pisses someone off to the point of ****ing smashing their ****ing keyboard – Hearing it in those words, helps.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    The thing I've heard from UKers lately that has me semi scratching my head is 'muppet' I have the feeling they aren't referring to Kermit the frog. What does muppet mean? Are you calling someone a plush puppet with a hand up their bum controlling their every action?
    A muppet is an idiot or fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    A muppet is an idiot or fool.
    Why muppet? Kermit seems like a fairly smart guy.
    BLIZZARD: First off, it's important that everyone remembers that feedback needs to remain constructive... using profanity in your posts, no matter how strongly you may feel about something, is not appropriate.
    TRION: If something ****ing pisses someone off to the point of ****ing smashing their ****ing keyboard – Hearing it in those words, helps.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    Why muppet? Kermit seems like a fairly smart guy.

Ah but Kermit is just one Muppet among many.

General of Telara

Rolf so this gets moved to off topic but SWtOR VS Rift gets left in General, nice work lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Many have quitted, they are lost almost half of the servers they started. I hop in next MMO for sure. Rift is awesome game but PVP is just crap.
    Lol really now?

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Devilchameleon View Post
    (I wrote this guide for my guild, posting here for others)

We are fortunate enough to have some folks with us from other countries so I wanted to take some time to educate everyone on the guild’s multicultural policy.

It is NOT ACCEPTABLE to slander, make intentionally hurtful or judgmental remarks, or otherwise be an ****** about other countries throughout the world.

With that out of the way, here are a few slang terms that our British and Canadian guildmates may use during raids to avoid any confusion

The UK

“anti-clockwise” – counter-clockwise
    “beastly” – bad or nasty (not awesome, which is what it sounds like)
    “belt-up” – shutup
    “blinding” – awesome
    “cock up” – a mistake
    “faff” – to dither, lollygag, take your sweet time in a bad way
    “gormless” – clueless
    “jammy” – lucky
    “sort it out” – to fix a problem
    “waffle” to babble on and on about something
    “zonked” – exhausted

Canadians

“keener” – a brown-noser

Living in Canada, the only Canadian one on this list (other than eh) that I've heard is keener

I'm a Canadian, and like the other 2 Canadians that have posted, I'm only familiar with Keener. Just to clear things up, "Eh?" is a phoenetic contraction of "Hey?" sharing the same meaning as "Huh?". It can mean "Understand?", "Agree?", "Pardon?", or "WTF?"
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    I'm a Canadian, and like the other 2 Canadians that have posted, I'm only familiar with Keener. Just to clear things up, "Eh?" is a phoenetic contraction of "Hey?" sharing the same meaning as "Huh?". It can mean "Understand?", "Agree?", "Pardon?", or "WTF?"
    Also Canadian...
    I only know of EH (as defined above, and yes Sinndel described it accurately) and keener. You can determine the meaning of EH based off of tone of voice and what recently occurred.

I've only heard East coast Canadians say aboot. Though, the East coast seems to have their own language that is impossible to follow once they go full slang mode. My friend is dating a Newfie, and once she has a few beers you may as well start using smoke signals since it's like talking to someone from another country with a language you've never heard before.
    Last edited by Chesterine; 09-20-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Don't forget, if one of us UK folks says we are going to smoke a f-a-g, it means we wish to partake of a cigarette, not that we want to kill a homosexual person. I don't know how that word got taken over tbh.

+ Reply to Thread