+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DC Universe Online going FTP in October

Default DC Universe Online going FTP in October

Massively Exclusive: SOE's John Smedley reveals F2P model for DC Universe Online

Quote Originally Posted by Massively
    The new business model will feature a familiar tiered access plan with three membership levels. The Free, Premium, and Legendary plans feature full access to the current game while offering different levels of "convenience and flexibility." Free players will be limited to two character slots, and new "downloadable game packs/updates, additional character slots, powers, and more" will be available for purchase via microtransactions.

Premium players, i.e., folks who have spent at least $5 US on the game (including former subscribers and in-game item purchasers), will receive additional character slots, inventory slots, and higher cash limits. Legendary players will take home "maximum features and benefits" including free DLC, more than 15 character slots, and more than 80 inventory slots, all for the regular $14.99 monthly fee. DCUO will also continue to be available on SOE's Station Pass (and subscribing to the monthly all-in-one service nets you Legendary status in DCUO as well as access to all of SOE's MMORPGs).
    Was wondering when this was going to happen. It lasted over a year, but barely. RIFT will have to start preparing for the future as well, which I think they wisely are already.

Looks like the Lifetime members are going to make out on this game just like in LOTRO.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 09-19-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Shadowlander

Tiered subscription levels? Okay.

Picking and choosing features and content via microtransactions? Not sure I understand that. Seems like it'd be more effort to develop and support than it'd be worth. Why not just upsell the player to the next tier?

Maybe the idea of a monthly fee really is that much of a psychological deal breaker. Or maybe gamers are just too stupid to realize how much their "free to play" games cost them.

Relevant comic once again.
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/6/10/

Quote Originally Posted by Xiuhcoatl View Post

Picking and choosing features and content via microtransactions? Not sure I understand that. Seems like it'd be more effort to develop and support than it'd be worth. Why not just upsell the player to the next tier?

Maybe the idea of a monthly fee really is that much of a psychological deal breaker. Or maybe gamers are just too stupid to realize how much their "free to play" games cost them.

Relevant comic once again.
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/6/10/
    Well the problem with DCUO unlike other mmos, is that it doesn't actually play, feel or look like an mmo. The largest team you have is eight people. The combat is very twitch action oriented where you move around a whole lot (can't stand in one spot or die). The heavy instancing with missions inside various locations. Even the guild functions don't feel like normal ones in typical mmos.

DCUO was pretty much built for the PS3 imo with a PC element on the side. SoE says it's a 3 to 1 ration of PS3 players to PC. The problem with that is how many console players will sub to anything? Not many, but.. most will buy items from cash shops for games as they've proven for Xbox so these new models are perfect. Not having to have a computer to play that like RIFT, WoW, or even GW is huge for SoE. If they have a PS3 and a lot of kids/people do.. they can play it.

So you put a popular IP like Batman/Superman in a console game as "action form" that is designed mainly for that, then now you put on the FTP label basically. Some kid is going to get his parent to buy it and parents will think "Batman/Superman= harmless". When the kid asks for 10 bucks to buy costumes, parents will think that's much cheaper than buying new games so they won't mind. Being a mmo in disguise, it's sure to addict those gamers who aren't used to mmo style play with dungeons.

I think it's an evil masterstroke of money about to flow to SoE.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 09-19-2011 at 11:35 AM.

I don't think it's even been a year yet, they launched it in...January I think. I played the PS3 version ( as it is pretty much the only MMO on consoles besides *shiver* FFXI) and was disappointed by the lack of polish and all the servers being down for maintenace. That Sony online service being down for a month probably didn't help either. While it had a great presentation and fun character customization, people were blowing through the game in a few days to a week with a level cap of 30. Even me, who doesn't spend alot of time playing each day, was able to get to about lvl 20 in 2 days or so. So it's a fun 1-month subscription I guess.
    Last edited by Ceveron; 09-19-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    "The essence of snobbery is enjoying what separates mankind rather than what brings us together."
    Defiant: Manxus, Arcadax
    Guardian: Arcadius

Quote Originally Posted by Ceveron View Post
    I don't think it's even been a year yet, they launched it in...January I think. I played the PS3 version ( as it is pretty much the only MMO on consoles besides *shiver* FFXI) and was disappointed by the lack of polish and all the servers being down for maintenace. That Sony online service being down for a month probably didn't help either. While it had a great presentation and fun character customization, people were blowing through the game in a few days to a week with a level cap of 30. Even me, who doesn't spend alot of time playing each day, was able to get to about lvl 20 in 2 days or so. So it's a fun 1-month subscription I guess.
    Yep, will be a year in January '12.

And youre right about the one month thing at launch. It's gotten better since with more missions and things. The new Green Lantern pack is out as well.

If they can get people to try it as FTP, they probably will definitely have people buying the costumes in the cash shop for $5, $10, #20 a pop because that's what people like in other mmos; gear choices etc.

SoE is right about one thing.. FTP is the future. three years from now it'll be rare to have any mmo charging a monthly fee to play, including RIFT.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 09-19-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiuhcoatl View Post

lol, as soon as they offered lifetime subs I told people SOE was going to do that in DCUO.

After all, that's exactly what they did in PotBS ... a few months after they offered lifetime subs.

Lifetime sub offer .. wait 3 months .. FTP .. wait 1 month .. in game items for sale

Are you feeling annoy for better ship!?

<Amazonia> Leader - Sunrest Server
    It's only a game ... until you get a piece of Asph.

Shadowlander

Good point about the PS3 version; didn't know DCU was made for a console.

Good point also about the game being more a cooperative FPS than MMO.

I could see playing such a game online only for the cost of an all-access fee like Xbox Live (I know nothing of PSN but I assume it's similar) being appealing.

Though if I were a parent my kids would pay for costumes out of their own allowances.

Quote Originally Posted by kissmybuns View Post
    lol, as soon as they offered lifetime subs I told people SOE was going to do that in DCUO.

After all, that's exactly what they did in PotBS ... a few months after they offered lifetime subs.

Lifetime sub offer .. wait 3 months .. FTP .. wait 1 month .. in game items for sale

The thing is though, the lifetime sub is better in a FTP game. The reason is you don't get nickel/dimed for everything everyone else will.

If you want all the costumes you just do the content. If you are a FTP you have to pick/choose which content you want to get so you can get that costume. Half (or more) of playing superhero games like DCUO, CoH/CoX, Champs Online.. is playing dressup with your specific look. Everyone likes comics and those games give you more leeway to create looks than typical mmos.

If someone bought a Lifetime sub in January, you only have to play four more months to get their money's worth at $15/month. If the game goes FTP it doesn't affect you at all since you get everything free after your first year of play.

Same thing with LOTRO players.. lifetimes got their money's worth since that game launched in 2007 for a mere $200.

(15/month over four years=$795)

Side note: I see you have a Jedi emblem on your sig's boots. Rebel scum.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 09-19-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by kissmybuns View Post

I'd never pay for a lifetime sub for anything. I first heard of the idea from Champions Online and I think the cost worked out to several years worth of fees. How would anyone know they'd play a game that long? That the game would exist that long?

FTP the future for MMOs? I sure hope not. I still foresee to pay-to-win via microtransactions plaguing the genre, shortening games' lifespans and leading players to question why even start playing them in the first place.

DCUO was built to fail. A "less is more" approach to powers, costume pieces and character customization in general as well as content. This game had the least amount of content between starting and end game that I ever saw in a MMO, the game was designed for people who wanted to play the same content over and over and over again. Add in the multi-button combos that turned off a lot of MMO players and I am surprised that it took this long for the game to end up f2p.
    I live my life with bold enthusiasm tempered by the hope that when I die it won't be reported in News of the Weird or the Darwin Awards.

Visit the scenic Isle of Langerhans dimension, Faeblight server.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock View Post

Same thing with LOTRO players.. lifetimes got their money's worth since that game launched in 2007 for a mere $200.
    I am a LotRO lifetime/founder and it was the best deal I ever took, it only took a year and a bit and I was playing for free after that.
    Last edited by Libertine; 09-19-2011 at 05:15 PM.
    I live my life with bold enthusiasm tempered by the hope that when I die it won't be reported in News of the Weird or the Darwin Awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    I am a LotRO lifetime/founder and it was the best deal I ever took, it only took a year and a bit and I was playing for free after that.
    (15/month over four years=$795)

That's how much you would have paid monthly. (back then there were no package deals, I was there at LOTRO launch too^^)

I still don't understand when someone says Lifetimes aren't worth it when you look at how many games that have sold lifetimes and haven't failed. I can only think of one (Hellgate London) where someone paid Lifetime and then didn't get to get their value out of what they've paid.

Every other game I can think of with a Lifetime sub is still running. I only wish FFXI had one when I started. I played that almost four years. I think any game I'm halfway interested in from now on if it seems good overall I will Lifetime if they offer it.

EA isn't dumb enough to sell lifetimes unfortunately for SWTOR or else I'd be all over that.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 09-19-2011 at 05:36 PM.

I haven't been that interested in any of the other games that offered lifetime subs. If SWTOR had a lifetime sub plan I'd still wait to play the publicity beta to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    I haven't been that interested in any of the other games that offered lifetime subs. If SWTOR had a lifetime sub plan I'd still wait to play the publicity beta to decide.
    I think that most people feel the way you do as far as lifetimes. Due to the economic crunch that hit people they have a hard enough time in some cases just getting up a monthly sub. I remember Month Two of Rift a guy in our guild came in and said he was leaving because he lost his:

1. Job
    2. House
    3. and had to split up his family.. some with this relative, some with that relative.

I can only imagine how bad that must be when he's having a time just paying for food and people are talking about dual subbing and such. Tough times for many.

That said, the amazement I wonder at is the fans in RIFT. A fan at launch with a six-month sub for $70 ish will look at a one year sub at re-up for roughly $120 bucks and plunk that down, and then in the same breath say "I don't like lifetime subs. I think they aren't worth the money." It's funny because several games offer lifetimes for as little as $200. I'd rather spend the extra $80 if that plan was offered instead of spending the same amount of money for less than two years of play.

As said, only one game I know of has ever failed to give Lifetime members their money's worth: Hellgate. Every other game that offered one is still ticking and in the case of games like LOTRO, someone who liked that would have saved almost $600 from launch to now.

If the gameplay is decent enough and I see there is potential longterm (like DCUO) I will easily put down $200 once.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 09-22-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Plane Touched

This thread just reminded me I should have put DC Universe Online in the "Worst game ever" thread.

Seriously. What an incredible piece of crap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast