+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Windows 8, and you.

Sword of Telara

Default Windows 8, and you.

oke, i read today a article about Windows 8, and sudden it hit me.
    They gonna make it App based, (whatever that **** means).
    what the hell is a app based anyway? if i install firefox it's a program i installed not a ****ing app

in other words, the User, (that the person BUYING the software and legal owner of Personal computer and software) losing more and more control over their machine.

for instance, Internet Explorer, was suppose to be completely removed, what Microsoft did, was keeping Internet explorer with in the basic structure, of the core system so it "was" suppose imposable to remove it.

or for instance, WMP (windows media player) this **** program keeps surviving Up like a fly on ****.
    with it's so called DRM, hence why they try to sell you'r music on this **** MP3 format, so it can imprinted with a digital code. (and leave your music to shame with there crap format).

So my question, how is Anxious to loss even more control?
    Last edited by abisha; 09-19-2011 at 02:19 AM.

App, or application, is just a new keyword for program. That is more of a sales pitch than anything else.

As for IE, I sure you will still be able to at least remove the program from the desktop so it is out of sight, out of mind. Sadly I need to keep it on my pc because ITT's student portal doesn't play nice with FF, Chrome, or safari.

WMV is another program you should be able to uninstall once you find the root directory.

Anything that can be made by man, can be unmade. Personally, I'm not really going to bother with 8. It's touch screen based and I don't have a touchscreen or an urge to buy one, and I'm quite happy with 7.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiel of harrow View Post
    App, or application, is just a new keyword for program. That is more of a sales pitch than anything else.

As for IE, I sure you will still be able to at least remove the program from the desktop so it is out of sight, out of mind. Sadly I need to keep it on my pc because ITT's student portal doesn't play nice with FF, Chrome, or safari.

WMV is another program you should be able to uninstall once you find the root directory.

Anything that can be made by man, can be unmade. Personally, I'm not really going to bother with 8. It's touch screen based and I don't have a touchscreen or an urge to buy one, and I'm quite happy with 7.
    Basically they think most of their userbase are stupid (probably true) and that due to the popularity of the iphone and the word "apps" they could attract more buyers to their new operating system by jumping on the "apps" bandwagon. Likelyhood is that it is just a marketing term used to pull in apple fans and stupid people.

http://www.itworld.com/software/2045...ture-windows-8

Foremost on their minds is the operating system's emphasis on touch-based interactions, a move that many believe could give Microsoft a much-needed shot in the arm in the tablet computing space.
    Central to this rewriting is the operating system's new Metro UI, which some believe will enable developers to create the kind of immersive, full-screen, touch-centric applications that are driving the tablet revolution.
    I see this being the start of the tablet revolution, but I couldn't possibly care less than I do about tablets, so windows 7 is all I need.

"Our response thus far has been to do Web applications, but there are inherent limitations you get out of that," such as reliance on HTML5 local storage, he says. "[With Windows 8] I feel like we can port a lot of what we already have -- native .Net apps -- over to this."
    This is what they mean by apps btw.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 09-19-2011 at 05:43 AM.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar

it sounded like there would be a tablet version and a traditional computer version. as for details, well I haven't really seen any and it seems way too far out to discuss things in too much detail.

but yes it is quite silly that firefox on your desktop is a program and firefox on your phone is an app, but w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawPlankton View Post
    it sounded like there would be a tablet version and a traditional computer version. as for details, well I haven't really seen any and it seems way too far out to discuss things in too much detail.

but yes it is quite silly that firefox on your desktop is a program and firefox on your phone is an app, but w/e.
    My understanding of Windows 8 is that it is meant to run FULLY on every device possible. This meant at launch your tablet and PC will both be running an identical OS. This is likely why there will be "apps" involved. I imagine though additional functions will become available depending on the specific device. Eg, a tablet will likely have touchscreen functionality whereas a PC may not have those features. The key point is when you open a program such as Excel, it will be the full PC version.

We'll have to see ...
    Please be sure to follow the Code of Conduct at all times when using these forums.
    Please feel free to contact the Rift Community Team at community@riftgame.com if you have any questions or concerns about this message or its contents.

I am guessing that this will be launched because of Honeycomb (androids tablet os that will be able to run on pcs) and windows pushing thier mobile market a bit more.

Think i will be sticking with windows 7..
    I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
    R50 Azama - Mage L60 R 13 Optional - Rogue L60 Sardonic - Cleric L50 Snugglepants - Warrior L50 @ Zaviel

Rift Master

Least they changed the BSOD in windows 8;

http://a.yfrog.com/img860/3093/tr1t.png

I currently have the WDP of Windows 8 (pre-beta) and the OP has no idea...

Soulwalker

Default Rift and Windows 8

Hey everybody!

Today I installed the 32-bit version of the pre-release version of Windows 8. I have been running the 64-bit SDK for 2 days and having a blast with it.

I've been putting it through it's paces (installing and uninstalling various applications, plugins and such) and to my delight, it has not missed a beat (Except for the Silverlight not working in the Metro version of IE, but works fine in the Desktop version... which is IE10).

So I thought... "Wow! I'll bet this thing could run Rift".

I was extremely happy to find that it installed quite easily. Patched itself up nicely too. Then, I started it up to play, and CRASH.

Sent the problem report to Trion several times. I hope they can fix it!

I know Windows 8 will not be out for awhile, but this thing is so stable that I've already replaced one laptop with it, and I'm running it in VirtualBox for 2 desktops.
    Last edited by pinscherburt; 09-20-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Rift Chaser Talking The Hardest's Avatar

Would rather RIFT worked with Linux smoothly but oh well. Windows 8 looks good but behind it's fancy GUI will just be loads of marketing research tools collecting data on the things you like so Microsoft and their partners can try and sell you stuff you don't actually want or need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakranka View Post
    My understanding of Windows 8 is that it is meant to run FULLY on every device possible. This meant at launch your tablet and PC will both be running an identical OS. This is likely why there will be "apps" involved. I imagine though additional functions will become available depending on the specific device. Eg, a tablet will likely have touchscreen functionality whereas a PC may not have those features. The key point is when you open a program such as Excel, it will be the full PC version.

We'll have to see ...
    Basically the same thing Google been doing right?

+ Reply to Thread