+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sony asks gamers to sign new terms face the ban hammer

Rift Chaser Talking The Hardest's Avatar

Default Sony asks gamers to sign new terms face the ban hammer

How does one of the worlds biggest electronic and technology companies deal with the thousand of complaints and lawsuits when their security is compromised several times resulting in thousands of peoples credit and debit card details being stolen?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14948701

tl;dr: Sony forcing all PSN users to sign new terms stating that they can not collectively sue. Therefore meaning if your account details are stolen, you better have the money and contacts to sue their *** on your own.

But the good news is, you can still buy PSN cards from mac's, 7-11, best buy, etc, and opt out of trusting Sony with your credit card details, thus preventing the need to sue.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Just another reason why xbox live is FAR superior to PSN.

PS3 may be a slightly more powerful system. But Xbox live makes up for xbox shortcomings x 10.

Shatterbone ~ 60 ROGUE, 50+ MAGE ~ The Abyss

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Sony just made Microsoft look like the good guys, which I thought would be impossible. Guess you just can't trust any big companies these days no more... But yeh XBL > PSN even before this whole hacking epidemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Talking The Hardest View Post
    Sony just made Microsoft look like the good guys, which I thought would be impossible. Guess you just can't trust any big companies these days no more... But yeh XBL > PSN even before this whole hacking epidemic.
    For sure lol. You truelly get what you pay for with xbox live.

Honestly, if i owned a PS3, which i never would, but anyways...If i owned a PS3 I would boycott PSN after reading this. I would boycott the entire system to be honest. That's just a slap in the face to their customers.

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote Originally Posted by Sozu View Post
    For sure lol. You truelly get what you pay for with xbox live.

Honestly, if i owned a PS3, which i never would, but anyways...If i owned a PS3 I would boycott PSN after reading this. I would boycott the entire system to be honest. That's just a slap in the face to their customers.
    I don't see how "stop sueing us collectively" is a slap in the face. I think you're being a little melodramatic.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    I don't see how "stop sueing us collectively" is a slap in the face. I think you're being a little melodramatic.
    It's more of a "We dont want to be responsible for our faulty security measures so use our services at your own risk" statement. "If we give away all your financial information you cant do **** to us because we warned you that our systems are so insecure that you're always at risk"

It's like going into a gas station and having to sign a waiver saying that you wont take any course of action if they charge your credit card for 500$ when you only bought 20$ worth of gas. Would you continue to buy gas at that gas station?
    Last edited by Sozu; 09-18-2011 at 11:47 AM.

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

It's more of a "We dont want to be responsible for our faulty security measures so use our services at your own risk" statement. "If we give away all your financial information you cant do **** to us because we warned you that our systems are so insecure that you're always at risk"

It's like going into a gas station and having to sign a waiver saying that you wont take any course of action if they charge your credit card for 500$ when you only bought 20$ worth of gas. Would you continue to buy gas at that gas station?
    No, you've completely misunderstood the new terms. If it can be proven that SOE is responsible in part or in whole for your information being leaked, stolen, given away, or whatever, you still have the right to sue, but you do so privately. You do not agree to let SOE have full run of your credit cards and bank accounts used to make purchases on their store. The new terms only prohibits collective law suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    No, you've completely misunderstood the new terms. If it can be proven that SOE is responsible in part or in whole for your information being leaked, stolen, given away, or whatever, you still have the right to sue, but you do so privately. You do not agree to let SOE have full run of your credit cards and bank accounts used to make purchases on their store. The new terms only prohibits collective law suits.
    And how is that in any way NOT a slap in the face to their customers?

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

And how is that in any way NOT a slap in the face to their customers?
    How is it one? If you feel you need to sue, you're still able to.

You can still file a lawsuit but yes as stated you have to do it uncollectively (is that even a word?) and privately, something the average or less off person wouldn't be able to afford which basically means if Sony's security systems are ever comprised again and your details are stolen you can't do sod all unless you can afford a seriously decent lawyer. This is how the big companies win, they will be able to hire the best, so you can't, and by making sure people can't come together and pay for 1 lawyer and have all their cases put together(leading to stronger evidence). How is that not a slap in the face? It's basically Sony turning around saying f**k you we lost your details and and what?

Quote Originally Posted by Talking The Hardest View Post
    You can still file a lawsuit but yes as stated you have to do it uncollectively (is that even a word?) and privately, something the average or less off person wouldn't be able to afford which basically means if Sony's security systems are ever comprised again and your details are stolen you can't do sod all unless you can afford a seriously decent lawyer. This is how the big companies win, they will be able to hire the best, so you can't, and by making sure people can't come together and pay for 1 lawyer and have all their cases put together(leading to stronger evidence). How is that not a slap in the face? It's basically Sony turning around saying f**k you we lost your details and and what?
    You only pay legal fees if you lose, so it kind of prevents frivolous law suits with no grounds, but does nothing to discourage you from holding the company responsible if it was indeed their actions that caused the compromise. And that's the way it should be. I don't see how PSN is responsible for not having impenetrable security. Nothing on the internet is safe, not even microsoft.

I've just reread the story on theregister heres a few quotes
    Sony dropped the bombshell in an updated terms of service and user agreement on one of its websites. It requires people with accounts on Sony's PlayStation Network or other online services to seek binding arbitration with an arbitrator of the company's choosing instead of exercising their right to have a judge or jury hear their case. Legal claims can only be filed if the dispute isn't resolved through arbitration in a timely manner.
    Basically if you want to take legal action against Sony then you can NOT do via a legal court, instead you must do it on a sort of 1 to 1 basis.

This is the update ToS on PSN.
    ANY DISPUTE RESOLUTION PROCEEDINGS, WHETHER IN ARBITRATION OR COURT, WILL BE CONDUCTED ONLY ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT IN A CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION OR AS A NAMED OR UNNAMED MEMBER IN A CLASS, CONSOLIDATED, REPRESENTATIVE OR PRIVATE ATTORNEY LEGALACTION, UNLESS BOTH YOU AND THE SONY ENTITY WITH WHICH YOU HAVE A DISPUTE SPECIFICALLY AGREE TO DO SO IN WRITING FOLLOWING INITIATION OF THE ARBITRATION.
    You CAN choose to opt out though

The terms of service give subscribers the ability of opt out of the class action require, but it will require them to do something many probably haven't done in years, if ever write a letter on paper and send it to an address using the postal service.

The instructions:

YOUR WRITTEN NOTIFICATION MUST BE MAILED TO 6080 CENTER DRIVE, 10TH FLOOR, LOS ANGELES, CA 90045, ATTN: LEGAL DEPARTMENT/ARBITRATION AND MUST INCLUDE: (1) YOUR NAME, (2) YOUR ADDRESS, (3) YOUR PSN ACCOUNT NUMBER, IF YOU HAVE ONE, AND (4) A CLEAR STATEMENT THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO RESOLVE DISPUTES WITH ANY SONY ENTITY THROUGH ARBITRATION.
    Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09..._action_suits/

Just another reason why xbox live is FAR superior to PSN.

PS3 may be a slightly more powerful system. But Xbox live makes up for xbox shortcomings x 10.
    LOL

/10char

Rift Chaser

Actually does not protect Sony and as proven before in other lawsuits. The agreement you click on is worth about as much as the toilet paper we use in everyday life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast