+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mayweather - Ortiz, the punk gets punked

Default Mayweather - Ortiz, the punk gets punked

I don't really care for boxing (MMA > boxing), but I had enough interest in the supposed best fighter in the world to catch the fight tonight - and it was quite the finish.

Fast forward to round 4, Ortiz has been eating straight right hands with regularity and producing very little effective offense even when coming forward - so he corners Mayweather, throws a flurry that is greeted by a Matrix-esque mongoose, and gets extremely frustrated. So frustrated that Ortiz does his best Flipper impersonation, launching himself straight up off the floor like a porpoise out of water, and connects with a very blatant head butt / spear.

The ref reacts accordingly with the point deduction (I would've thought it was an instant DQ for something so egregious), and Ortiz quickly realizes he's just behaved like a thug in the ring, apologizing profusely to Mayweather. The ref prepares to restart the action and calls for the men restart - but then looks away to the time keeper to ensure they've restarted the clock. Meanwhile, Ortiz is busy apologetically hugging Mayweather, they take one step back and Mayweather unloads a hard left hook and maximum leverage straight right to Ortiz's face while he's completely unprepared.

Ortiz is laid out, fight over.

I witnessed the Tyson / Holyfield ear feast live on PPV as well, perhaps I've been lucky to tune into the weird ones. Or maybe boxing has devolved to WWE antics, hard to say.
    Last edited by Fujitasix; 09-17-2011 at 09:20 PM.

I watched this fight and remember thinking what a disgraceful display it was, and at the same time being the first time I've been entertained by boxing since Tyson retired. As for Mayweather being the greatest fighter, I simply don't know why people say that. He's not that good. Maybe he's the best currently? Boxing doesn't have alot going for it lately.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Boxing doesn't have alot going for it lately.
    You speak the truth. Boxing completely died when MMA came into the picture.

When people look at boxing now...It's looked at as the carebear sport. I cant help but think when watching boxing...Man these dudes would get DESTROYED in UFC lol. And that's not very cool when boxing is supposed to be about 2 warriors against each other. They are just warriors that couldnt cut it in a REAL fight.

Shatterbone ~ 60 ROGUE, 50+ MAGE ~ The Abyss

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote Originally Posted by Sozu View Post
    You speak the truth. Boxing completely died when MMA came into the picture.

When people look at boxing now...It's looked at as the carebear sport. I cant help but think when watching boxing...Man these dudes would get DESTROYED in UFC lol. And that's not very cool when boxing is supposed to be about 2 warriors against each other. They are just warriors that couldnt cut it in a REAL fight.
    No, UFC and MMA are stupid, I can't even be bothered to watch them at all. That's not to say I think boxing is at all more enjoyable though. Not since Ali and Tyson retired. Kickboxing is fun to watch sometimes.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

No, UFC and MMA are stupid,
    I'm still right. Whether you like MMA or not...Boxing DID die when MMA became big. Big ticket boxing matches struggle these days to fill the seats whereas UFC events sell out within minutes anywhere in the world. It used to be the other way around, then MMA started getting some recognition and people realized how horrible boxing was in comparison. Believe it or not, boxing did still go strong long after Tyson retired. I recall going to the bar and "watching the fights" for years after Tyson quit. Now all it is is "Lets goto the pub and watch UFC" I didnt even know there was a boxing match this weekend. lmao. But I sure as heck know when the next big UFC event is coming up.

To be honest, what you like to watch is completely irrelevant. Idk how that was even brought into the picture.
    Last edited by Sozu; 09-18-2011 at 10:11 AM.

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

I'm still right. Whether you like MMA or not...Boxing DID die when MMA became big. Big ticket boxing matches struggle these days to fill the seats whereas UFC events sell out within minutes anywhere in the world. It used to be the other way around, then MMA started getting some recognition and people realized how horrible boxing was in comparison.
    I don't think it's true at all, and I'm not sure where you get your statistics from.

Anyway, what I should have said is "there's no good fighters left in boxing" because that's what I meant. The sport itself is sound, but it's hard to get behind any of the fighters because they don't dazzle like Ali and Tyson used to. Gets tiring watching matches end and after 12 rounds the fight is decided by points, and the winner only landed 20% of his punches.

Soulwalker

Thumbs down

Manny Pacquiao will wipe the floor with Mayweather. Mayweather only fights people weaker then him to make himself look good. Pacquiao is faster and stronger and Mayweather is scared to fight him. As for the Ortiz fight the ending knockout was about as cheap as the headbutt. Ortiz should have been DQ'd but either way the hissy fit knock out punches that Maywheather threw when Ortiz was trying to apologize was uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by fablei View Post
    Manny Pacquiao will wipe the floor with Mayweather. Mayweather only fights people weaker then him to make himself look good. Pacquiao is faster and stronger and Mayweather is scared to fight him. As for the Ortiz fight the ending knockout was about as cheap as the headbutt. Ortiz should have been DQ'd but either way the hissy fit knock out punches that Maywheather threw when Ortiz was trying to apologize was uncalled for.
    Uncalled for, but more entertaining than the entire fight that came before it.

I don't think it's true at all, and I'm not sure where you get your statistics from.

Anyway, what I should have said is "there's no good fighters left in boxing" because that's what I meant. The sport itself is sound, but it's hard to get behind any of the fighters because they don't dazzle like Ali and Tyson used to. Gets tiring watching matches end and after 12 rounds the fight is decided by points, and the winner only landed 20% of his punches.
    What exactly was so "dazzling" about Tyson? Just the fact that his fights rarely lasted more than 4 rounds? Most of Tysons fights were boring as hell. 2 fighters just hugging each other until Tyson lands the final blow.

Boxing in general was boring as hell. The only "GOOD" boxing match i ever remember watching was Gatti vs Ward years back. Outside of that, boxing is just 2 guys hugging each other until the bell rings. (Like Tyson fights)

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

What exactly was so "dazzling" about Tyson? Just the fact that his fights rarely lasted more than 4 rounds? Most of Tysons fights were boring as hell. 2 fighters just hugging each other until Tyson lands the final blow.

Boxing in general was boring as hell. The only "GOOD" boxing match i ever remember watching was Gatti vs Ward years back. Outside of that, boxing is just 2 guys hugging each other until the bell rings. (Like Tyson fights)
    Tyson rarely clinched (what you refer to as hugging). Earlier in his career he was just a flurry of punches, most of wich landed, and that's what I found "dazzeling". He was relentless, and didn't clinch unless his opponent caught him in one. His fights almost always ended in a knockout. He was fun to watch, and nothing like you describe.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 09-18-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Tyson rarely clinched (what you refer to as hugging). Earlier in his career he was just a flurry of punches, most of wich landed, and that's what I found "dazzeling". He was relentless, and didn't clinch unless his opponent caught him in one. His fights almost always ended in a knockout. He was fun to watch, and nothing like you describe.
    Tyson was the only fighter that ever inspired fear in me as a viewer - as in he'd do permanent brain damage if he were to hit me. It was obvious many of his opponents shared that same fear in the ring.

As for MMA vs Boxing, I think the variety of skills displayed in MMA make it the superior sport provided the UFC brass make the right matchups. Jones vs Rampage certainly has my attention. Jon Jones has the skills to inspire fear and awe ala Tyson in his prime, but he doesn't have the unhinged lunatic persona to complete the package. It's certainly easier to like Jones, but that doesn't always translate to more PPV sales.

In relation to Mayweather - he's a truly amazing fighter with incredible speed and accuracy, but even his mouth can't make up for his lack of power at @150lbs. Amazing heavyweights are always going to be a bigger draw - people want to see decapitations. This is similar with MMOs - the high percentage of casuals that fund the game aren't as concerned about squeezing out the extra 15dps in a 5 minute rotation as they are about just having fun when they log in. You can't say either side is wrong - one enjoys the technical aspects and the other just wants to see the "knockout".

+ Reply to Thread