+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need suggestions for a video card

Default Need suggestions for a video card

I'm thinking I will want to upgrade my video card from a ATI Radeon 4800 series to one of the Nvidia cards that seem to be supported by Rift before it launches. I don't want to spend $500+ on one. I don't think I'll be willing to go over $300. Any suggestions? Oh also, are any of them capable of having a t.v. input or cable box input of any sort? I don't have that option right now but would like to add it if I'm gonna replace the card. That way I might also be able to use my computer as a DVR.

Radeon 5770 1 GB great bang for your buck Id get it its very cheap only 150 great card check it out

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150447
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

6950: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-518-_-Product

Can even try to be lucky and flash the bios to 6970, doesn't work on all though.
    Last edited by Jintu; 01-11-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JIntu View Post
    6950: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-518-_-Product

Can even try to be lucky and flash the bios to 6970, doesn't work on all though.
    That things pricy and has problems with rift
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

Quote Originally Posted by Onarye View Post
    He said $300 and I'm giving him the best option available, the 6950 trumps the 5770; Rift is still in beta, guess what performance tweaks are continually being worked on, expect improvements and new ati drivers.

Plane Touched

You can get a GTX460 for under $200.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by JIntu View Post
    He said $300 and I'm giving him the best option available, the 6950 trumps the 5770; Rift is still in beta, guess what performance tweaks are continually being worked on, expect improvements and new ati drivers.
    I agree, the 6950 is the best bang for the buck right now. You can find the XFX one for $289.99 at TigerDirect. The good thing about XFX is if you register your card online within 30 days of purchase, you get a life-time warranty for it. In my opinion, it's the best 3rd-party vendor to buy from.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardax View Post
    I'm thinking I will want to upgrade my video card from a ATI Radeon 4800 series to one of the Nvidia cards that seem to be supported by Rift before it launches. I don't want to spend $500+ on one. I don't think I'll be willing to go over $300. Any suggestions? Oh also, are any of them capable of having a t.v. input or cable box input of any sort? I don't have that option right now but would like to add it if I'm gonna replace the card. That way I might also be able to use my computer as a DVR.
    Well, since you mention Nvidia please look at the GTX570 in the $349.99 region; if that is too much then the GTX 470 is within your range too. But do not disregard the newest AMD HD 6950, as has been indicated by posters here. It has 2GB of GDDR5 video ram, and performs just below the GTX 580 on many benchmarks tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Onarye View Post
    As noted, the price is within the OP's budget and what specific problems does the card have in Rift? The drivers are usually the problem and Rift is still not fully optimized anyways.

I am running a single, XFX HD6950 driving 3-LG E2350V-SN's (23" Led monitors) in Eyefinity mode (5992x1080 resolution with bezel compensation) and have no problems, even employing the latest and very new catalyst drivers.

Adelmar posted:
    I agree, the 6950 is the best bang for the buck right now. You can find the XFX one for $289.99 at TigerDirect. The good thing about XFX is if you register your card online within 30 days of purchase, you get a life-time warranty for it. In my opinion, it's the best 3rd-party vendor to buy from.
    Not only a single limited lifetime warranty, but a double one too; original owner can pass card onto a new owner and they retain a limited warranty also.

Benchmark link:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
    Last edited by Grymmoire; 01-14-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    "You're simply jealous since the voices speak only to me."

Thanks everyone for your opinions! I will look at each of them and try to decide which I will go with. Now I just have to explain to the wife why I need to spend $300 on a video card! LOL

The 6950 is the best card on the market in the price/performance region. You get 2gb of DDR5 vram, eyefinity options, hd audio processing from the gpu, Dx11, superior home theater functioning. Of course the 570 and 580 are beefier, but this card at this price is just a better option, and at super resolutions the 6950, and 6970's with the additional vram actually in cases pull ahead. It's in a price point of it's own right now and I would highly recommend it. I have a 6970 right now, and will be adding another soon. The new 6xxx series offers superior cf scaling as well! If money wasn't an issue, of course I would suggest the 580's, but when money is a factor go with the 6950! And if the wifey doesn't like the 300 dollars, go with a 6870.
    Last edited by Izkimar; 01-12-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks everyone for your opinions! I will look at each of them and try to decide which I will go with. Now I just have to explain to the wife why I need to spend $300 on a video card! LOL
    take a look at this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-550-_-Product

i run just about all games with no problems on max. card does run hot as **** as long as u have good cooling you will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Izkimar View Post
    The 6950 is the best card on the market in the price/performance region. You get 2gb of DDR5 vram, eyefinity options, hd audio processing from the gpu, Dx11, superior home theater functioning. Of course the 570 and 580 are beefier, but this card at this price is just a better option, and at super resolutions the 6950, and 6970's with the additional vram actually in cases pull ahead. It's in a price point of it's own right now and I would highly recommend it. I have a 6970 right now, and will be adding another soon. The new 6xxx series offers superior cf scaling as well! If money wasn't an issue, of course I would suggest the 580's, but when money is a factor go with the 6950! And if the wifey doesn't like the 300 dollars, go with a 6870.
    LOL, thanks. Is the whole Eyefinity thing a big factor in the pricing of the cards? I didn't even know what Eyefinity was until I looked it up. I won't be doing any multiple screens...heck I have a hard enough time figuring out what is going on on one screen LOL. So anyways, if it adds quite a bit to the price of a card, I really don't need it, just want a card that can produce nice quality graphics with decent framerates...although the 6950 is within the range I specified hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Izkimar View Post
    And if the wifey doesn't like the 300 dollars, go with a 6870.
    Or get a new wifey.
    The question isn't who's going to let me; the question is who's going to stop me?

Quote Originally Posted by RandomCarnage View Post
    Or get a new wifey.
    Nah, can't do that. I got a good one. We've been together for 20 years with 2 kids, I ain't about to leave now. The only thing that would make her better is if she got into these games with me LOL

LOL, thanks. Is the whole Eyefinity thing a big factor in the pricing of the cards? I didn't even know what Eyefinity was until I looked it up. I won't be doing any multiple screens...heck I have a hard enough time figuring out what is going on on one screen LOL. So anyways, if it adds quite a bit to the price of a card, I really don't need it, just want a card that can produce nice quality graphics with decent framerates...although the 6950 is within the range I specified hmmm...
    No lol, the 6950 is a very cheap card for it's performance, and there isn't a card that can compete with it at that price point. The eyefinity technology is just an added bonus for if you ever wanted to add multiple screens. The multiple screens just increase your resolution to make things much more crisp, and then you also get more field of view in games so you can see more around you haha.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomCarnage View Post
    Or get a new wifey.
    Nice suggestion, lol honey I want a divorce because I need a better graphics card .
    Last edited by Izkimar; 01-14-2011 at 07:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread