+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top 5 things I love most about past RPGMMOS.

Default Top 5 things I love most about past RPGMMOS.

Over the years of playing MMOs, I have made a few very strong fond memories of past MMO experiences. I'd like to share a few with you and hope you might share a few yourself. This might give Trion some good ideas for the future as well.

1) Meridian 59 Graveyard - In the city of Toss, there was a area called The Graveyard. During the day, it was a perfectly safe place to visit. At night it was a hell fest of epic proportions. At dusk, you would see a skeleton or zombie rise from a grave. Then see another, then two, then 3 then more and more... Once in a while a death knight, ghost or undead mage would spawn. After so much time it was a huge battle just to stay alive in the graveyard.

One night, my friend and I went there to see if we could stay there all night long by ourselves. This would be about 2 hours real time. I was a healer and he was a tank. The battle was beyond epic. That night was one of the best times I ever had in an MMO. I wish we had something like that in Rift.

2)Meridian 59 Arenas - There was a large building in the capitol city. On the way into the building were actual statues of player champions of the arena. There was a list of rankings on the large wall on the main hall of the entrance. When you got to the main door, you were allowed in the seated part of the giant stadium. In the center was the battle area. Nobody in the stands could effect the battle area.

Up top, there was a NPC arena master. If you wanted to challenge another player in the stands, you would click on the arena master and he would ask the other player if he accepts the challenge. If you both accepted, you would appear in cages in the battle area, across the room from each other, with a 5 second count down. Then the battle would begin, the cages would lift and you could see each other. We winner would be announced throughout the city.

On Friday nights, GMs would have live contests between 10 players from each guild that signed up. At the end of the night, the guild who won would receive golden helmets that would give them a 5% to all skills and stats. The guild crest was shown on the front of the arena that week.

3)Everquest random boss mobs - In every zone in everquest, there was always a random wondering monster that was about 5 to 10 levels above the norm for that zone. Usually it was a ancient version of a common monster like a Elder Crocodile . Sometimes it was a random Hillgiant making his way across the world. The thing is, it added such a flavor of wonder and danger. It also made the world seem more alive and active.

4) Meridian 59 guild halls - Here are a few real examples of guild hall special properties and advantages from the game.

Doors with alarms
    One way windows
    A bar to sell drinks
    Excellent view and sniping spot for defense
    Hall is blocked off if you don't know the chest password
    Large lobby with an atmospheric fire
    Gotta love the skull on the guild master's desk
    Entry switch is fairly easily defended
    Has a seaside balcony
    Has a dojo-style combat room
    Stand by the wall where the double lines are and say your password. You'll be ported to a large room with 4 metal guild chests
    The guild hall conquer switch is hidden behind a maze
    Hidden spots for archers to attack invaders inside hall

5)Real faction quests- In Meridian 59, there were two REAL factions in the game. There was a Baron who wanted to rule the land and there was a Princess.

If the Baron's faction was in power, all physical damage by players were increased by 10%. All warrior type skills were learned 10% faster.

If the Princess' faction was in power, all players magic was increased by 10% and all magic based skills were learned faster by 10%.

The best part was how the factions were changed. There were 10 godly artifacts placed randomly around the world. If you found one and picked it up, you could not hold anything else in your hand. You could not cast or attack in anyway. Also, the world would announce you had picked one up and where you were when you found it. The goal was to get to the leader of your choice before anyone killed you and stole it from you!

If you were able to get the artifact to a leader, it would change the range of that faction by +10 and take away the others faction by 10. The range being from 0-100. You would also be given a nice reward from the leader, usually a nice magic item.

In a game like Rift, the leaders would be Defiant and Guardian obviously. Maybe the winning team would get some type of bonus for their faction?

Food for thought.

Anyway, what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Frakthefriendly; 08-26-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exxyy View Post
    People acts like they know everything

I miss static mob spawns with placeholders and rare nameds. I could come in and clear the area with the placeholder and go afk, run some errands, hit some forums, do stuff and comeback when the placeholder was due back up. If I got loot it would be a great day because I would have accomplished something in both the real world and the game. But these days its like I have to choose one or the other.
    “Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.” - Ambrose Redmoon

There's only one thing I miss... people playing for fun instead of taking everything so seriously.

From Anarchy Online and FunCom, I miss the interaction between the community and GMs/Developers to create an on-going story that actively changed the politics that affected the world.

Being able to partake in in-game events with "NPC"s that would respond to your words through the direction of a GM was absolutely amazing, and I'm sad that I haven't found a game since then that was able to produce such a great storyline with involvement from players.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PDizzler View Post
    There's only one thing I miss... people playing for fun instead of taking everything so seriously.
    Honenstly not trying to flame, but which game was this? All the way back in my MUD days there were rages that would have made those freak out videos seem mild by comparison.

And on topic: killing someone and cutting up the corpse and taking the head and displaying it on the front steps of your house (which was in the open world as there were no "instances" in....) Ultima Online. You could also take his shoes (or anything else he owned before State Farm set up shop there).
    Last edited by Jaelon; 08-27-2011 at 04:26 AM.
    I'm wearing my asbestos underwear. Flame on!
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0trix View Post
    So buy a keyboard that lets you assign macros....

I've played since launch and I don't mind pressing a line of buffs... repetitive, sure... but so is masturbation... still we keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaelon View Post
    Honenstly not trying to flame, but which game was this? All the way back in my MUD days there were rages that would have made those freak out videos seem mild by comparison.
    I hear ya, there have always been people that take MMO's too serious and don't enjoy it as a game. I started my MMO gaming with MUDs on AOL premium games back in 1997, Dragon's Gate and Darkness Falls to be exact, and there were, of course, those people.

I just feel as though that seriousness gets worse with each new MMO release, Rift being the most recent.

Soulwalker

Let's see.

1. Making players define their own factions from Ultima Online and EVE-online. Those games didn't have any factions like Horde or Alliance that mattered. Players had nationalities in EVE, but they didn't affect their actual loyalities. In Ultima Online people formed guilds and fought with about anyone outside their guild if they wanted to and in EVE it culminates to people forming alliances of corporations (a guild is a corporation in that game) that actually have enough players to match a faction in a low population WoW/Rift shard. This allows competitive pvp without any special pvp mechanics: your own guild groups could go kill pretty much anyone they can catch and earn a name for themselves. Also, you could kill that random annoying player (at least provided he left safer areas where npc guards were) if you wanted. That I miss too with these forced factions. Naturally it also gave you pride to be in a certain guild/corporation/alliance. I feel no pride being Defiant, nor being part of my guild. Both are such meaningless things in games nowadays.

2. Economy from EVE-online. It still is there and the game is amazing, but the game just takes too much time to play like I'd like to and used to like to. It's almost completely player run economy where players generally rely on player made gear since the few better npc drops tend to be far too expensive and rare for all players to use since half your gear blows up with your ship and the rest is left for anyone to loot if you don't get back fast enough (basically never unless you died to npcs). There also isn't global auction house that mails stuff to you: you'll have to actually get the stuff from the stations you bought it from. There naturally are huge hub system though where you can find anything at if not the lowest, rather low prices. This naturally would not work in a Rift/WoW/most mmos type of game just because you won't lose gear and if you'd lose gear on death pve as it is would not really work that well (EVE has it balanced well though, but it's comparing apples to oranges - it's a pvp game with pve, not vice versa like Rift)

3. Housing from Ultima Online. It's a vanity thing, but it's awesome to actually own your own fortress. Wouldn't be as good in Rift/WoW/usual mmos just because back in UO some guild houses tended to become pvp hotspots even though you couldn't even destroy or siege them. Feeling of having your own guild's fortress of doom was just fairly awesome (custom housing especially since you could make a house/fortress just like you wanted), especially combined with other people coming to taunt us down to fight with them and us making trap portals to busy areas in town which would lead to our death chambers

4. Being able to drop things down to ground from Ultima Online. In Ultima Online you could just drop things to ground and they'd stay there for a while. You could even make a roadstop on a bridge with tables or boxes forcing anyone wanting to pass to stop and move them. You could also cut your dead human prey to piece and place all the body parts on the ground. God that was cool

5. Animations from Age of Conan. If that game did one thing well, it was animations. Never seen anything like that in any mmo.

I miss a time when people played to have fun and enjoy themselves, rather than to win.

Ascendant

DAOC PVP Pre TOA.

TOA PVE.

EQ world bosses.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    DAOC PVP Pre TOA.

TOA PVE.

EQ world bosses.
    DAOC PvP pre TOA was total hawtness. Was still fun after TOA too imo. Played for over 8 years here.
    Stupid People P*** Me Off

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ferathka View Post
    DAOC PvP pre TOA was total hawtness. Was still fun after TOA too imo. Played for over 8 years here.
    I just started playing again on a trial account last night. Old school but alot of fun. You kinda miss that old school MMO style before everything was 8 million hotkeys. I'm playing a mauler right now, one of the new classes. Kind of hybrid dps tank thing. Once I get to 12 or so I'll start getting into the RVR again. Not so sure how maulers are for pvp though. He seems more of a solo PVE class. I started a ice wizard but forgot what a massive pain casting classes are to solo level in DAOC.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Quote Originally Posted by PDizzler View Post
    How can you tell the difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by Exxyy View Post
    People acts like they know everything

+ Reply to Thread