+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comedians after George Carlin

Default Comedians after George Carlin

Being a George Carlin fan and addict I find it hard to digest just any content an average comedian may throw at me. But I have to be honest I stopped following new faces and am stuck with few names that are worth watching or listening to. So, what do you guys think about the current comedians who are funny and intelligent and makes you think and laugh just like George Carlin did. Share with us your favorite current comedians and tell us why you think he deserves to be mentioned.

There is no one better than Carlin. He was quite possibly one of the finest Americans to live in the last 100 years.

That being said, I do enjoy Louis C K
    Crowl - Bahmi Justicar/Shaman/Purifier Tank
    Aramon Alshan 32 Riftstalker/34 Nightblade PVP setup
    Sunrest RP-PVP
    Foe's Watch

What comedians??? There are only jokers after George passed away , they dont even have to try to compete . I still have all of his HBO specials and i have all his collection on my mp3 player and listen to it on the walk to work ; it just lifts me up and puts me on the right track for a hard day at work .Too bad he didnt have a son to continue his legacy .
    Deceneu - Xanadu
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/profile/1898430
    eat good-look good;look good-play good;play good-paid good;paid good-eat good

A really great comedian. I think Russell Peters is a good one as well, but have to agree George was fantastic!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Can't think of any stand up comedians that would fit your description. Then again most of my stand up exposure comes from comedy central, and that's quite dismal.

Kevin Smith makes me laugh during his speaking tours. He's more of a story teller than a comic, but he tells funny stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowl View Post

That being said, I do enjoy Louis C K
    Louis C K is awesome love watching his standup. also like Lewis Black and Eddie Izzard as well.

WTB the above item .... mine broke

Mitch Hedberg was pretty awesome. I have been listening to George Carlin since reading this post. Thanks for making me aware of him hes pretty great. I love his religion bit.

George Lopez isn't bad. I'm a follower of Jeff Dunham though, I find him (or at least his dolls ) extremely funny.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Mitch Hedburg cracks me up. A bit deceiving since his 'act' is kinda awkward. Great joke writer though, imo one of the few unique comedic writers. So many comedians STILL do the 'what's with airplane food' level of content, but Hedburg is just kinda out there in his own world writing jokes like: Rice is good for when you're hungry and want 2 thousand of something. He writes like Carllin in the sense that when the men told a joke you got the feeling it was completely unique and could have only come from them. He's also pretty rough at times and likes to respond to the audience when a joke doesn't work very well (like I think I remember Carlin doing, but maybe I'm forgetting... I like when comedians are willing to break the 4th wall.

Seven Wright too, lots of jokes where you've got to think a moment before it's funny, which makes for interesting live shows where the crowd kinda goes silent, then like popcorn popping laughter starts up when people get it. He's not exactly a new face in the industry, though.

And of course Hedburg is dead... so yeah, I guess I'm not exactly up on the cutting edge comedians.

Dane Cook, I guess? /gag
    -According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by aahingenuity View Post
    George Lopez isn't bad. I'm a follower of Jeff Dunham though, I find him (or at least his dolls ) extremely funny.
    yeah Jeff Dunham is pretty damn funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post
    Being a George Carlin fan and addict I find it hard to digest just any content an average comedian may throw at me. But I have to be honest I stopped following new faces and am stuck with few names that are worth watching or listening to. So, what do you guys think about the current comedians who are funny and intelligent and makes you think and laugh just like George Carlin did. Share with us your favorite current comedians and tell us why you think he deserves to be mentioned.
    I would think you might like watching Lewis Black, since Black was inspired by Carlin (its not the same, but you can see the similarities).

My favorites (still alive) in no particular order are: Lewis Black, Chris Rock, Brian Regan, and Dane Cooke (his older material). Dane Cooke is sort of hit and miss, and its been a lot of miss recently.
    Last edited by Kuju; 08-19-2010 at 10:15 PM.
    When darkness falls it is because we have brought it upon ourselves.

KASE Breakdown: Achiever 46.67%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 66.67%, Socializer 46.67%

Quote Originally Posted by Kuju View Post
    Dane Cooke is sort of hit and miss, and its been a lot of miss recently.

He was screwed by his own success. His initial material was good, you could tell he actually had JOKES (imagine that!) that he'd written.

Then, boom, he's famous and I just don't think he could write material fast enough. His older material was like joke, joke, joke, being hyper, joke, joke, joke... and his new material is like, greeting the crowd, talking about the crowd, being hyper, making noises, making a face, cursing, greeting the crowd, telling the crowd they're great, telling a joke, being obnoxious and making faces and noises and prancing around stage in the build up for more noises and a few curses all leading up to an actual joke finally after 10 minutes of him just being an ***.

I think had he not gotten famous so fast he'd have been better off, with more time to build back-up material, because it seemed he hand nothing to fall back on and just couldn't get actual jokes written fast enough. Kind like how Jewel spent her life writing her breakthrough album, then suddenly had a contract and deadline and needed to get more music out asap, and just didn't have time to make it not suck.

Sophomore slump, I suppose, it's just most comedians struggle for YEARS so have a ton of backup material waiting if they need it.
    -According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

Telaran

I always enjoyed George Carlin's older stuff, after awhile he started incorporating too much of his own personal agenda and politics.

I have a real harsh sense of humor and really enjoy things like the celebrity roasts.

Some comedians I enjoy, though...

Louis C.K. (not particularly fond of his T.V. shows)
    Jim Norton
    Robert Schimmel
    Patrice O'Neal
    Jeffery Ross (he's a favorite roaster, but I'm not sure if he has any stand-up routines)

Quote Originally Posted by popsicledeath View Post
    He was screwed by his own success. His initial material was good, you could tell he actually had JOKES (imagine that!) that he'd written.

Then, boom, he's famous and I just don't think he could write material fast enough. His older material was like joke, joke, joke, being hyper, joke, joke, joke... and his new material is like, greeting the crowd, talking about the crowd, being hyper, making noises, making a face, cursing, greeting the crowd, telling the crowd they're great, telling a joke, being obnoxious and making faces and noises and prancing around stage in the build up for more noises and a few curses all leading up to an actual joke finally after 10 minutes of him just being an ***.

I think had he not gotten famous so fast he'd have been better off, with more time to build back-up material, because it seemed he hand nothing to fall back on and just couldn't get actual jokes written fast enough. Kind like how Jewel spent her life writing her breakthrough album, then suddenly had a contract and deadline and needed to get more music out asap, and just didn't have time to make it not suck.

Sophomore slump, I suppose, it's just most comedians struggle for YEARS so have a ton of backup material waiting if they need it.
    I could agree to that. His latest stand-up he did on Comedy Central wasn't too bad compared to the other ones he was doing in huge crowds. I can't remember what it was called, but it was in a bar with about 30 people. The standup he did on Comedy Central Presents in 2000 was one of the best I've ever seen though. I remember laughing uncontrollably with about 10 of my friends. Your move holy man! Also, his first CD was pretty good as well. Since then he seems to be off.
    When darkness falls it is because we have brought it upon ourselves.

KASE Breakdown: Achiever 46.67%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 66.67%, Socializer 46.67%

I'm glad I'm not the only George Carlin fan!!

As for Lewis Black, Steven Wright, Eddy Izzard and Seinfeld they're definitely great and I enjoyed listening to them. Louis C. K. is great too.

One person that I just "discovered" to have some sort of "wicked" sense of humour even though he's not a comedian is Gary Busey.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast