+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ONLive Tech + MMOs

Default ONLive Tech + MMOs

This is something I've thought about since seeing the Onlive tech demo.

It's long but worth a watch especially if you have any interest in current tech.

Link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGdecNDDr9g

Ok on to the post.

ONLive basically uses extremely compressed video to allow any modern game to run on most any system created in the last 4-5 years. This includes PC, Mac, IPhone and soon Android. While the control schema and screen size of the phones limits playability, it does not limit the game type, game function or game graphics.

This is because the game itself is not running on the client device but on servers. The client device is responsible for only two things, decrypting and displaying video and relaying input commands to the server. No information about the game is stored or calculated on the client.

In relation to MMOs I find this intriguing because it allows two different forking paths of benefits. The first being since no game information is stored on the client, all current types of hacks and bots would be entirely eliminated. To program a bot it would have to respond solely to graphical cues. It could not search memory for NPC locations, item values, etc..

The second is in the development pipeline and may be an even larger bonus.

One of the most expensive and time consuming problems with games today is the multitude of system configurations possible. Even with the most clean code imaginable and months of testing with a game the size of an MMO, beta and launches are without fail full of crashes and hardware bugs. If the workload of the client is reduced to decrypting video and transmitting input that job becomes infinitely more manageable. Imagine developing a game to run on one singular specific set of hardware, imagine the possibility for optimization.

Next the game "client" and "server" are both ran in the data center and you the developer have complete control over all of the hardware the game is ran on. The ceiling for polygon counts, projectile system, collision systems and other extremely memory and cpu intensive processes raises significantly. PvP games which historically cap in the hundreds of players on screen could jump by multiples.

Lastly, since this theoretical game can run on almost any computer platform to be built in the last 5 years, think of the increased customer base.

No downloads to clients, no patches to clients.

I believe while this system is good for gaming in general, it is almost a dream come true for the MMO genre.

That is... amazing!

How can one obtain one?
    its = possessive, it's = it is | whose = possessive, who's = who is | your = possessive, you're = you are | too = also or too much, to = to go or to do, two = 2 | their = possessive, there = a place, they're = they are | than = comparative, then = deals with time

Sign these petitions: Halo Reach for PC | Legend of the Seeker season 3 (tv show)

Wow this looked like a real game changer to me. It would make so many things obsolete and let you play any game. Sounds wonderful right? However it does have a potential for downsides too. One company controlling everything? To much power in one company is a bad thing for the consumer. They will suck us in and just when we get comfortable and were hooked on the system BAM. They call all the shots like the cost to you etc etc. With no completion it will get pricey and get abused. We have all switched over so we are forced to take their garbage. Don't get me wrong it will start off all lovie dovie.

Quote Originally Posted by Anasazi View Post
    Wow this looked like a real game changer to me. It would make so many things obsolete and let you play any game. Sounds wonderful right? However it does have a potential for downsides too. One company controlling everything? To much power in one company is a bad thing for the consumer. They will suck us in and just when we get comfortable and were hooked on the system BAM. They call all the shots like the cost to you etc etc. With no completion it will get pricey and get abused. We have all switched over so we are forced to take their garbage. Don't get me wrong it will start off all lovie dovie.
    I was thinking the same thing. They would potentially become a monopoly. But, monopolies are illegal in the U.S. so I dunno what they're gonna do about that.
    its = possessive, it's = it is | whose = possessive, who's = who is | your = possessive, you're = you are | too = also or too much, to = to go or to do, two = 2 | their = possessive, there = a place, they're = they are | than = comparative, then = deals with time

Sign these petitions: Halo Reach for PC | Legend of the Seeker season 3 (tv show)

Im part of the Onlive founding members. I would have like 3 free games except the PoS cant be used on a wireless connection.

Ya I'm not saying it does not have problems.

Also why would it necessarily be controlled by one company?

We now know it is possible which means someone else can and will come along and use a slightly different compression algorithm to accomplish the same task. Possibly with even better results. In fact I would bet there is a college kid out there somewhere now with a better one in the works.

I really do think implementing tech like this would revolutionize much of the development process of an mmo.
    Last edited by Albieos; 08-22-2010 at 06:09 AM.

I have seen this last year, and to be honest, this system has a huge potential, however I dont see it being implemented for atleast one or two more years. It just seems too advance as of yet... But I must agree, it would completely change the gaming world as we know it!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Elladar View Post
    I have seen this last year, and to be honest, this system has a huge potential, however I dont see it being implemented for atleast one or two more years. It just seems too advance as of yet... But I must agree, it would completely change the gaming world as we know it!
    I got into the founding members thing. I tried it out this morning (or yesterday morning since it's after midnight now), and it really works! It has a tiny bit of lag when I move the mouse to when the cursor moves, but that's not that big of a deal! In FPS games, that might matter some, but in the other games I played it didn't matter at all (puzzle games and tower defense). If they had an MMORPG, it wouldn't matter with that, either.

The only problem I see with it is you can't use games you already have (and you probably can't play with people that play the same games they bought separately, but I don't know for sure about that)

Aye the game has to be hosted on their system (or whoever's system that emulates the design).

That would not be a problem in a game designed specifically for this, from the ground up. Especially if only that one game (or few games) from one studio was on the platform.

And yes, the system is fully operational right now. As someone else said the only issue they currently have is transmission lag. Which is mainly only an issue in FPS and some RTS games. MMOs are rather forgiving of 80-100ms response times. FPS games that will easily be the cause of your demise.

Quote Originally Posted by Brangdha View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. They would potentially become a monopoly. But, monopolies are illegal in the U.S. so I dunno what they're gonna do about that.
    I hate to scoff at this one but - come on.... ROFLMAO
    Njall Thojorkill
    *Anything worth doing, is worth dying for...*

it seems great, instead of wondering where to hide video games CD cases, my XBOX, my main computer and my laptop, it can all go in that tiny box hooked up to my TV...

too bad it's not available in Europe yet

AKA Shaielene as Shaie has been ninjad

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Brangdha View Post
    No, monopolies aren't illegal. If you can rise to the top of an industry and dominate in such a way that you're the only one, good for you. The problem is monopolistic practices, THAT is illegal (like offering something below cost to drive your competitors out of business).

Champion

I read a review that it would not reach the performance of a decent (not top of the range, just moderately decent) gaming PC.

At the moment I'd rather have the performance in hardware I own, not hardware I rent from halfway around the world.

+ Reply to Thread