+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Five Reasons to Avoid Betas - any beta, not just Rift...

Default Five Reasons to Avoid Betas - any beta, not just Rift...

MMORPG.com columnist Bill Murphy gives up 5 reasons to avoid beta tests.
    Read more here: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cf...void-Beta.html
    Mac

Burnout... Hmm.. I heard that word a lot when I was in Aion.

I leveled up 3 different toons on that game. Pure grind seems. One was in China and don't play anymore so was considered a loss other than the experience.

I thought it was funny, I was one of the last three or four people out of roughly 120 people that didn't get burned out even though I was getting the lecture because I played it so much. lol.

Most Likely to be: Defiant - Cleric Calling (PvP Server)

Five reasons to Apply for beta :
    1. Hands-on preview of your upcoming MMORPG before the mass community
    2. A chance to contribute and make the game better when it releases (you also benefit)
    3. Get used to the mechanics, UI, zones, quests from starting areas (make it easier when you play live) (Even if stuff DOES CHANGE the bulk stuff remains the same).
    4. Make friends for when the game goes live.
    5. Actually decide if the game is worth playing without having to PAY for it.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

I never suffered from burnout before, and none of the other 4 reasons makes me feel like I have to avoid beta's

Quote Originally Posted by g0kuenuan View Post
    Five reasons to Apply for beta :
    2. A chance to contribute and make the game better when it releases (you also benefit)
    3. Get used to the mechanics, UI, zones, quests from starting areas (make it easier when you play live) (Even if stuff DOES CHANGE the bulk stuff remains the same).
    4. Make friends for when the game goes live.
    5. Actually decide if the game is worth playing without having to PAY for it.

The sad part is that most people who apply for a beta think like this, taking your 5 steps and reduce them to 3.

Three reasons to Apply for beta :
    2. Get used to the mechanics, UI, zones, quests from starting areas (make it easier when you play live) (Even if stuff DOES CHANGE the bulk stuff remains the same).
    3. Actually decide if the game is worth playing without having to PAY for it.

Depends on the game honestly.

I intend to avoid Star Wars The Old Republic. I just love Star Wars, its made by Bioware whom I consider the best game maker in the world, and I've beta'd games before, then been disappointed. I want to actually enjoy this game. I'll probably pre-order but I don't think I'll beta because I don't want to ruin it for myself.

Rift... well this one I'm willing to beta. Because I think it will be a very good game even during beta.

Other games, well I've kind of just gotten beat down by the beta thing. I'm always disappointed, and always feel like the devs are ignoring everything I say. I'm willing to give Rift a chance with that because it has some of the good old EQ2 devs that made me love the game so much. For them, I'm willing to help.

Hmm, well no offense, but those weren't very good reasons . g0kuenuan did a good job pointing out pretty good 5 reasons to apply for beta.

5: Secrets) It doesn't matter, I can certainly hold my huge to talk about this game (sarcasm) . You should be busy playing the game and helping it out, not making a video of it and talking about it. I'm not sure why people leak it out, maybe they want some more views on Youtube or they feel like they are helping gamers see if it is a good game or not.

4: Beta not Live Game) Yes, the game changes because people are actually helping it change and evolve into a better game. People who form their opinion right on the spot are probably a bit picky and ignorant (I'm sorry to say).

3: Not Permanent) Well if they let you have that character when it is launched that would not be fair to other players who didn't go into Beta. You would have a big head start on new players with you Beta tester buddies and while you go for the final end game everyone is stuck in the beginning. Would you like it if you didn't get into Beta and the people who did are at level 30 while you are level 1?

2: Work) Yes, it is a volunteer job that not everyone does. Some people get into Closed-Beta with no intentions of helping out the game, it happens. If you do get in Beta, you have a choice of what you want to do. It's not like you must give 10 reports by the end of the beta.

1: Burn-out) Burn-Outs tend to happen when the game is actually launched. For that reason, it destroys reason number 2. If it is supposed to be work why are you blasting through the game. It is understandable to have a lot of fun with it but knowing the other 4 reasons I wouldn't burn-out.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

if your in beta to preview a game to get try to get ahead of the crowd or whatever you need to ****. Beta is purely for finding bugs and feedbacks/concerns IMO
    Merlonus-Pyro-lock

Quote Originally Posted by Merlonus View Post
    if your in beta to preview a game to get try to get ahead of the crowd or whatever you need to ****. Beta is purely for finding bugs and feedbacks/concerns IMO
    Which is why I believe that "Open Betas" don't do developers any good. All they are doing is letting hundreds of players in that don't contribute to the game. Closed Betas or Alpha testing allows developers to choose who they want to test their game, whether it is based on credentials or anything else.

I understand that Open Betas are seen as stress tests for server stability and whatnot but design a test server and only allow beta slots that are active for just that stress test, so the tester can create a character, log in, do something, and then have contributed. A day or two later, slot is no longer active. I have seen some companies do this and it appears to work(from the info they let us read about the outcome of the test).

Quote Originally Posted by Brolael View Post
    Which is why I believe that "Open Betas" don't do developers any good. All they are doing is letting hundreds of players in that don't contribute to the game. Closed Betas or Alpha testing allows developers to choose who they want to test their game, whether it is based on credentials or anything else.

I understand that Open Betas are seen as stress tests for server stability and whatnot but design a test server and only allow beta slots that are active for just that stress test, so the tester can create a character, log in, do something, and then have contributed. A day or two later, slot is no longer active. I have seen some companies do this and it appears to work(from the info they let us read about the outcome of the test).
    This is exactly my thought. Open Beta's in my opinion have nowhere near the benefit and/or capabilities of what a closed Beta offers. Open Beta players just come to play, see what/where and how they can get ahead.

I can honestly say I have never burned out of a beta of a game that later turned out to be good, actually in the case of VG and SWG I stuck around well after beta even if the gamer wasn't as polished as the majority of the testers wanted it to be. I can say however that I burned out of a good amount of bad games or games that where not my cup of tea.

But quite honestly I already knew that before I got into beta, I still had a great time testing and like to believe I did my best to make the games the best they could be. But in some occacions it was a lost cause.

The biggest drawback for me is that the initial suprise and glory is lost on some moment. However that isn't entirely true because you already had this rush / experience during beta. As a good example of this my fondest memories of VG are from sure from Beta experiencing the content for the first time, seeing a cave for the first time. Dieng for the first time.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by Xanax View Post
    .....Open Beta players just come to play, see what/where and how they can get ahead.
    Even in closed beta the players are there to see what the game is all about and how they can get ahead but the advantage is minimal imo. Everyone still starts from scratch when the game goes live.

I think burnout only really happens when games go live and they are way too grind-oriented. i.e. Aion

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCoconut View Post
    Even in closed beta the players are there to see what the game is all about and how they can get ahead but the advantage is minimal imo. Everyone still starts from scratch when the game goes live.

I think burnout only really happens when games go live and they are way too grind-oriented. i.e. Aion
    I do agree, but hopefully due to a more stringent application and entry process, it could limit the amount of happy-go-lucky players that get accepted. Players that are willing to actually test the game on all levels and try find bugs.

He's right you know.

I've been trying to tell people that. Beta's can wear you out on the game before it even launches, then when it launches you are like ...ugh. lol.

And, when you are trying to avoid the Beta's you get put on a Beta Tester List, and they automatically pull you first. Yeah. I had to lay low for a year or so...lol

Everyone gets all excited about it like "OMG! I'm in Beta!" It would really be nice if you actually got paid a little bit for it like a free subscription for 3 months or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    MMORPG.com columnist Bill Murphy gives up 5 reasons to avoid beta tests.
    Read more here: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cf...void-Beta.html
    I have been aware of these ideas for a long time. I am willing to work for rift. Since I am self employed time is not an issue. I know how to counter act all the negatives mentioned. One is get up in the morning and running for an hour before you start. Cool down an hour b4 sleep. Use mediation to quiet the mind. Plus there are a lot more positive reasons for testing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast