+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New to MMORPGS but.. still a little concerned. (also the two new big MMORPGS)

Telaran

Default New to MMORPGS but.. still a little concerned. (also the two new big MMORPGS)

This is my first MMORPG and I have to admit im addicted and im on all the time. (Girlfriend aint to happy but .. )

Anyway I do come on the Forums when im "not aloud" on Rift. Loads of posts on the end game, leveling etc.

I played single player RPG's before this and wanted something that would keep me entertained for ages and would take a very long anc challenging time to level up.
    I have been leveling without even trying. Im level 38 now and cant slow down the leveling and seem to be out leveling Areas before I even get there.
    Im doing the Epic quests as they are really hard and challenging.. to make me not level but cant do them all the time.

I found this on IGN.

"Breaking the MMOuld: Moving on from World of WarCraft
    Grinding, dedicated roles and quests are out. We take a look at the new breed of MMOs and say goodbye to the old."
    The two games are Guild Wars 2 and The Secret World.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/117/1177008p1.html

I went into Game today and they said everyone is asking for Guild Wars 2 and said it will be biggest seller this year if it comes out this year as well as Diablo 3.

I am just paying the 8.99 per month for now as so much bad topics on when we reach level 50.

Do you think Trion will relish the challenge of Guild Wars 2 and be able to compete as GW2 doesnt have a monthly subscription either.

Is there enough end content to keep us going for a few more months as think im gonna hit lvl 50 this week.

(somewhere in the back of my mind I keep thinking I should have tried WOW first as never played it and know it takes ages to level on that)..

But.. I am addicted to this, enjoy it when i play, love the guild im in and the banter we have in it.. I just kind of dont want the fun to stop. I know no one can predict the future but just wondered if there was news on expansions, bigger updates etc to keep everyone entertained and justify the Monthly Subscription fee.

Ascendant

Trion has done a very good job of releasing content. If you haven't reached 50 yet there should be plenty of content to keep you busy. I think you will continue to enjoy this game and it wouldn't be a smart business plan to not have something prepared for when these other MMO's drop.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Ascendant

Honestly, the day the MMO genre loses dedicated roles entirely is the day I stop playing MMOs entirely. If I'm looking for a homogenous experience where everyone can do roughly the same things with only some slight variation, there are much better genres to get that experience from. GW2 has potential, but it remains to be seen how ArenaNet have managed to handle having everyone pretty much able to do everything without all feeling the same. Homogenization is what finally drove me away from WoW, and it will be what keeps me out of future games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I try to make everything I say signature worthy.

I don't know if GW2 is any different, but calling GW a MMO is stretching it a bit. It's basically instances connected by a big chatroom. What's kept me playing Rift after getting bored of WOW is the variety of stuff going on in the game world, which positively encourages people to do more than just sit in Sanctum jumping around on their mount and waiting for their LFG queue to pop.

Soulwalker

GW2 sounds good, but seeing is believing and we will just have to wait for its release to find out!

but i think it would have to have changed drastically to redeem itself from that load of (insert worst possible word to describe it) game, that was, GuildWars.

"hay, what class are you?"

"im a monk, warrior, vegetable farmer, traffic cop hybrid"

"sweet! is that the new flavour of the week? because im still running a archer, cowboy, race car driver, stuntman!"

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by memphis12 View Post
    Do you think Trion will relish the challenge of Guild Wars 2 and be able to compete as GW2 doesnt have a monthly subscription either.
    No. They have no hope of competing with multiple games coming out. Rift brings nothing new to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by CarMan View Post
    GW2 sounds good, but seeing is believing and we will just have to wait for its release to find out!

but i think it would have to have changed drastically to redeem itself from that load of (insert worst possible word to describe it) game, that was, GuildWars.

"hay, what class are you?"

"im a monk, warrior, vegetable farmer, traffic cop hybrid"

"sweet! is that the new flavour of the week? because im still running a archer, cowboy, race car driver, stuntman!"
    Did you even play Guild Wars because your comment makes zero sense. Don't pass judgement when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
    Last edited by dooby; 07-12-2011 at 08:27 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by dooby View Post
    No. They have no hope of competing with multiple games coming out. Rift brings nothing new to the table.

Did you even play Guild Wars because your comment makes zero sense. Don't pass judgement when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
    i did, for 1 week on release, then i quit.

never in my long history of MMORPG's have i ever done that...

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by CarMan View Post
    i did, for 1 week on release, then i quit.

never in my long history of MMORPG's have i ever done that...
    It's no wonder, it sounds like you didn't understand, well, anything. You missed out really. The comment you made on classes still baffles me though, I don't see how you could play a week and still not have even a basic grasp of the classes.

Oh well, your loss.
    Last edited by dooby; 07-12-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Go watch some of the GW2 videos, if the entire game is like that, its going to be way better than Rift.
    GW was good, untill you completed it, then all you had to do was farm money and run alts through EXACTLY the same content, nothing changed, you went from point A-B-C, no matter what you did.

GW2 will be random (from what they say)
    If GW2 is everything they have shown it to be, it is going to be the best MMO experience of this year.

I don't really care about those other games.

In terms of Rift, there IS way too much to do for the speed of leveling 1-49. One of my characters dinged 50 by discovering a new quest hub, and still is no where near finishing any of the zones from Scarlet Gorge on up.

That happens in other games, too. For a game that's been out for years instead of months, it's a given. In EQ2 if you choose one dungeon while leveling up, it means you will not be able to do a whole mountain of other content. Except they have a couple of ways of slowing or stopping xp leveling, or even returning temporarily to a lower level, so you can do more of the content.

Something like that in Rift could be nice. But for now it's a very rapid rise to 50, and then you're just getting started.

Rift Master

just watched that clip on the op's massege, and i must say that GW looks incredibly boring. Rather i stay with Rift or not is to be seen, but i want be on GW2 fo sho.

Swtor has more to offer and looks more interesting than Gw2, but i'm not a SW's fan at all so i'll probably be skipping out on that one to.

Rift isn't perfect but i like the classic feel it has wth the added features. I stopped doing quest my first time around and if anyone on this game levels just from doing quest your doing it wrong. i personally run around and toy with Rifts, and do some WF's, grab my crafting matz and craft and while i'm crafting i sit in que for LFG as i'm a rogue i can que as dps, tank, and support so my quest are never long.

so yeah Rift'll out last GW2.

General of Telara

Prepare to be disappointed with swtor. The combat is horrid.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Tatersaladin View Post
    just watched that clip on the op's massege, and i must say that GW looks incredibly boring. Rather i stay with Rift or not is to be seen, but i want be on GW2 fo sho.

so yeah Rift'll out last GW2.
    After watching the MMORPG community in many forums over the past year or so, I'd have to say that there are some that agree with you, but definitely not the majority. I get people who hate NCSoft. I get people who hated the first GW. I even get the people who admit to being wowed by some of the thigns ANet is saying and the video/art they have released, but feel that it is largely hype with no substance.

The small number of people who have looked at the info released about GW2 and think it looks boring? That's certainly nothing to base a prediction on how well it will do.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

Ascendant

All right, my bad. I didn't follow the link in the OP. It looks like what you saw was a capture of someone playing one of the demos at a con. In other words, this person has had about thirty minutes to play that character and get used to how it functions.

Take a poke around and look at some other gameplay videos. You'll find many, much more dynamic vids.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

Quote Originally Posted by memphis12 View Post
    This is my first MMORPG and I have to admit im addicted and im on all the time. (Girlfriend aint to happy but .. )

Anyway I do come on the Forums when im "not aloud" on Rift. Loads of posts on the end game, leveling etc.

I played single player RPG's before this and wanted something that would keep me entertained for ages and would take a very long anc challenging time to level up.
    I have been leveling without even trying. Im level 38 now and cant slow down the leveling and seem to be out leveling Areas before I even get there.
    Im doing the Epic quests as they are really hard and challenging.. to make me not level but cant do them all the time.

I found this on IGN.

"Breaking the MMOuld: Moving on from World of WarCraft
    Grinding, dedicated roles and quests are out. We take a look at the new breed of MMOs and say goodbye to the old."
    The two games are Guild Wars 2 and The Secret World.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/117/1177008p1.html

I went into Game today and they said everyone is asking for Guild Wars 2 and said it will be biggest seller this year if it comes out this year as well as Diablo 3.

I am just paying the 8.99 per month for now as so much bad topics on when we reach level 50.

Is there enough end content to keep us going for a few more months as think im gonna hit lvl 50 this week.

(somewhere in the back of my mind I keep thinking I should have tried WOW first as never played it and know it takes ages to level on that)..

But.. I am addicted to this, enjoy it when i play, love the guild im in and the banter we have in it.. I just kind of dont want the fun to stop. I know no one can predict the future but just wondered if there was news on expansions, bigger updates etc to keep everyone entertained and justify the Monthly Subscription fee.
    OP GW2 is a follow up to GW1..another freemium game the original challenged other MMO's about as much as hello kitty island adventure did..meaning none.. the sucessor looks to be set to do about the same...

Bioware is working on what looks to be an orpg in MMO clothing..again not a real continder for a traditional MMO. Both are betting on there suddenly being enough non traditional MMO players being interested to make a proffit..

In a standard MMO there will always be updates and expanding content its what keeps up playing and paying..
    And Shepard's we shall be for thee my lord for thee, power hath descendant forth from thy hand, may our feet swiftly carry on thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be

In nomeni Patri et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast