+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If You Aren't Watching Women's Soccer Now, You Should Be!!!

Default If You Aren't Watching Women's Soccer Now, You Should Be!!!

Whatever country you're from, this was a match that can be defined as nothing short of Epic. For the US, I would call it one of the greatest international wins alongside the 1999 World Cup and behind the Miracle on Ice. You can read all about the drama here:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-opinio...men-win-brazil
    http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ycn-8780981

Despite severe setbacks (and some officiating that was amateur-level at best, as football fans can attest to), the US came back to beat Brazil and advance. They played 1 hour with only 10 players against 11 on a highly questionable call, and scored in the last few seconds of injury-time during OVERtime. The tying goal brought on the penalty kicks, and from there it was Hope Solo, the US goalkeeper who saved the day.

THE GOAL!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOAJn8h6VAI

Hope Solo's Save and Krieger's PK that gives the win:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgls6...eature=related

The blatantly faked injury that was used to try and knock 5 minutes off of playing time. Because of this, there were 3 minutes added onto the game. It was during those 3 minutes that Rapinoe fired the ball to Wambach for the win. Karma, eh?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Q7o...eature=related

If you're an American, and you aren't cheering on the USWNT, you need to be! They play France in the semifinals at 11am Central time on ESPN. After that match, it's Sweden playing Japan. The next game will be the World Cup.

Russia plays in bikinis!
    Minsc and Boo
    All time favorite RPG characters.

Quote Originally Posted by xtorma View Post
    Russia plays in bikinis!
    Don't get my hopes up

People in the US generally do not care about soccer - whether men's or women's.

More people in Canada attend CFL games than people in the US attend MLS games.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    People in the US generally do not care about soccer - whether men's or women's.

More people in Canada attend CFL games than people in the US attend MLS games.
    I am well aware of that, but the US does care about international sports as we love to cheer on our national teams for national pride, and we ESPECIALLY love do-or-die should-not-have-won comebacks from the brink of defeat, and against all odds. The women's team is getting a lot of attention now and they deserve it
    Last edited by The 17th Knight; 07-11-2011 at 04:47 PM.

International Sports?

Um...the Olympics? Sure, kind of - varies by location and age bracket.

NFL? NBA? MLB? NASCAR? We pretty much watch domestic sports. Heck, we have a big industry for domestic college sports.

International sports though? Outside of folks that might watch some tennis though...

...international sports? Really?

People probably watch more Pool or Bowling...as a guess.
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Still though, even though I would not watch - congrats on what you've said they've done.
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

People probably watch more Pool or Bowling...as a guess.
    Your guess would be wrong given that the USMNT's world cup run was viewed by the exact same number of people as the NBA Finals.

Give these women some due and watch them play for our country.
    Last edited by The 17th Knight; 07-11-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Yeah, I can't really get into soccer no matter who is playing. It used to be good watching Pele on televison with Howard Cosell and ABC's Wide World of Sports, but mostly it's boring today.

The main thing I don't like about soccer is all the acting. Grab a guy and the clown acts like someone shot his family. Get brushed on his leg by someone and he's writhing on the ground in agony.. for 45 seconds. Then the official runs in and gives the other guy a red card then that guy pops up and gets a free kick. It's just so inane.

If I want to watch acting, I'll watch Professional Wrestling. Those hillbillies do a better job unfortunately.

Also, not enough scoring in soccer. Too much keep away during the actual game. It's worse than watching golf sometimes.

But to each his own though.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 07-11-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The 17th Knight View Post
    Your guess would be wrong given that the USMNT's world cup run was viewed by the exact same number of people as the NBA Finals.

Give these women some due and watch them play for our country.
    ABC posted about 14.9m viewers for the US vs. Ghana game.

The 2010 NBA Finals Game #7 averaged 28.2m viewers. Again...on ABC.

Posting incorrect info...is just sad.
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

ABC posted about 14.9m viewers for the US vs. Ghana game.

The 2010 NBA Finals Game #7 averaged 28.2m viewers. Again...on ABC.

Posting incorrect info...is just sad.
    Oo Oo Oo.. show him the Super Bowl numbers too! Show him the Super Bowl numbers too!

Bleh hell.. I'll do it! Super Bowl XLV Sets Viewership Record With 111 Million Viewers
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 07-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.

It is kind of funny to note, only around 8.3m folks watched Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals...heh.

Then again, 13.3m watched the actual Daytona 500 race in 2010. Was up to 15.6m for the 2011 race - 19.8m for the final 30 minutes of the race... total viewership of the coverage was around 30m (some people watch the pre- and post-...just can't watch that round and round, lol).
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Think it was the comparison to the Miracle on Ice that threw things off... I mean, seriously?

Sure the US Women's team lost to Brazil in '07...but they won back in '99. Heck, they actually WON the cup in '99 and '91...

...so yeah, uh - the US Women's team beating Brazil again - comparing it to one of the greatest sports stories of the 20th Century? Nope.
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Didn't watch it, but thanks for the info, that does indeed sound like an epic game.

I don't much watch sports, but I do like soccer.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Soulwalker

It is kind of funny to note, only around 8.3m folks watched Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals...heh.

Then again, 13.3m watched the actual Daytona 500 race in 2010. Was up to 15.6m for the 2011 race - 19.8m for the final 30 minutes of the race... total viewership of the coverage was around 30m (some people watch the pre- and post-...just can't watch that round and round, lol).
    I don't watch hockey anymore. For me, it just seems an excuse to start a fight. Players nowdays (in general) seem not to have any clue how to play the game itself. And the violence is, or seems to be, escalating. I don't wanna watch some guy getting permanently damaged or worse while "playing" in today's game. Soz, just my choice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast