+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Tex" shoots himself in the leg demonstrating techniques

Default "Tex" shoots himself in the leg demonstrating techniques

Derek 'Tex' Grebner: Man Shoots Himself In Leg

"Derek "Tex" Grebner, who describes himself on his YouTube channel as "a pretty unprofessional outdoors show host and an unbiased online gear reviewer," accidentally shot himself in the leg with a Kimber Pro Carry II .45 while drawing his weapon."

Don't you Europeans just envy us Americans?

This video he explains 'what happened' and happened afterwards.

How did that happen?

Okay, he had an accident, and he analyzed what happened afterwords.

Many accidents happen because of something that should have been avoided, but wasn't, for whatever reason. Reviewing on what happened is the only way to make sure that thing that seems obvious in hindsight becomes just as obvious before the fact.

I was trained to keep my trigger finger straight and pointed along the barrel until I am ready to shoot. Only then do I move my finger to the firing position. It looks like the young man in the video did not receive military style firearms training (or forgot that aspect of it).

Quote Originally Posted by Palvy View Post
    Okay, he had an accident, and he analyzed what happened afterwords.

Many accidents happen because of something that should have been avoided, but wasn't, for whatever reason. Reviewing on what happened is the only way to make sure that thing that seems obvious in hindsight becomes just as obvious before the fact.

I was trained to keep my trigger finger straight and pointed along the barrel until I am ready to shoot. Only then do I move my finger to the firing position. It looks like the young man in the video did not receive military style firearms training (or forgot that aspect of it).
    Yep, it's supposed to be 'on target, on trigger'.

Not 'off target, on trigger'.

No matter how that guy sliced it, his finger was never supposed to be inside that trigger guard until the barrel was pointed squarely at the target, especially in a defensive stance drill like that. A thumb break on a holster has nothing to do with his trigger finger in the guard before the gun got on sight.

Usually you have someone standing about a little over an arm's length away if a group of shooters are qualifiying on pistols, so that's why they are told do not put your finger on the trigger until on target. I'm not sure what training he's gotten (that he keeps talking about) but that's kind of old.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 07-12-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Noco@Wolfsbane

+ Reply to Thread