+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 85

Thread: Will our wallpaper someday help power our homes?

  1. #1
    Champion joanlewiswrites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    525

    Default Will our wallpaper someday help power our homes?

    Go go bright MIT kids, they've found a way to print out solar panels on paper or cloth.

    Being able to print solar cells directly onto inexpensive, easily available materials such as paper or cloth, and then easily fasten that paper to a wall for support, could ultimately make it possible to drastically reduce the costs of solar installations. For example, paper solar cells could be made into window shades or wallpaper and paper costs one-thousandth as much as glass for a given area, the researchers say.


    http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/p...ells-0711.html
    I'd be an advocate for separate queues for premade and non premade groups. Some people have said they were successful in all queuing separately at the exact same time. If this is true, there will still be rofl-stomps of non premade groups even if only 90% of the team gets in. Does anyone have an idea how they could/even would combat this?
    Posted on 03-07-2011 by Sinoxis

  2. #2
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    With all their smarts, they must've realized making solar wall paper would be mostly useless since it's INSIDE your house, where it's dark. It would also be really ugly.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

  3. #3
    Shield of Telara Adebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    706

    Default

    ......................

    Why?

    Would they get enough sun to make it worth it? Why not just have every has have a mandatory of 5 or 6 solar panels on it's roof, maybe less or more depending on the house's size.
    127% of internet statistics are made up on the spot.

    Never trust obscure quotes from famous people on the internet. -George Washington

  4. #4
    Ascendant Blays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Its amazing where our technology is at this point! but unfortunately money hungry governments wouldn't allow earth to progress.

    There are cars that run on electricity or water for years now... but yet they keep on fighting over the oil and keep polluting the earth. Why? because you can't sell water at $4 a gallon.
    Last edited by Blays; 07-11-2011 at 12:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvax View Post
    Im an R8 Cleric.
    1 Rogue can annihilate 2 healing clerics together-Cross healing doesnt work against a rog. .

  5. #5
    Champion joanlewiswrites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blays View Post
    Its amazing where our technology is at this point! but unfortunately money hungry governments wouldn't allow earth to progress.

    There are cars that run on electricity or water for years now... but yet they keep on fighting over the oil and keep polluting the earth. Why? because you can't sell water at $4 a gallon.

    I used to believe this, too. I wish I still did. It's better than believing the alternative. It's better than believing that we are running out of viable resources and that no answers are on the near horizon.

    You can sell clean water for more than $4 a gallon. In some places you can't buy clean water for love nor money. Clean water suitable for human consumption and use in manufacturing things like solar panels is one of the resources we're rapidly running out of. The reason this technology is important is that, perfected, it will drastically reduce the resource cost of creating solar panels.

    I don't expect or want you to take my word for it. I hope that you will go read peer reviewed papers by people who know what they're talking about from more than second hand. I read those papers, and they scare me. Our hopes are with these bright kids, these MIT kids and with the ones who come after them, because we cannot sustain anything resembling a comfortable life (such as the life many Europeans and Americans take for granted) for much longer without major breakthroughs in energy technology.
    I'd be an advocate for separate queues for premade and non premade groups. Some people have said they were successful in all queuing separately at the exact same time. If this is true, there will still be rofl-stomps of non premade groups even if only 90% of the team gets in. Does anyone have an idea how they could/even would combat this?
    Posted on 03-07-2011 by Sinoxis

  6. #6
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joanlewiswrites View Post
    I used to believe this, too. I wish I still did. It's better than believing the alternative. It's better than believing that we are running out of viable resources and that no answers are on the near horizon.

    You can sell clean water for more than $4 a gallon. In some places you can't buy clean water for love nor money. Clean water suitable for human consumption and use in manufacturing things like solar panels is one of the resources we're rapidly running out of. The reason this technology is important is that, perfected, it will drastically reduce the resource cost of creating solar panels.

    I don't expect or want you to take my word for it. I hope that you will go read peer reviewed papers by people who know what they're talking about from more than second hand. I read those papers, and they scare me. Our hopes are with these bright kids, these MIT kids and with the ones who come after them, because we cannot sustain anything resembling a comfortable life (such as the life many Europeans and Americans take for granted) for much longer without major breakthroughs in energy technology.
    That's hogwash, all the water on earth today is 100% the same water that was on earth a million years ago. Water is renewable, and it is recyclable. Nature has it's own purification system even. What we ARE running out of is petrolium, precious metals and gems, and space. Also clean oxygen is getting more and more scarce.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

  7. #7
    Rich Aemry
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blays View Post
    Its amazing where our technology is at this point! but unfortunately money hungry governments wouldn't allow earth to progress.

    There are cars that run on electricity or water for years now... but yet they keep on fighting over the oil and keep polluting the earth. Why? because you can't sell water at $4 a gallon.
    The real reason that big oil keeps making money is that we keep buying it. If "we the people" would do it ourselves and just quit buying the western drug, the costs of renewable energy would plummet and the oil companies would lose most of their power.

    Governments can help or hinder these things, but it's not really them that changes it --it's us. If you care enough to change it, then change it. Walk to the corner store instead of driving, carpool, buy energy efficient light bulbs and low power PCs. Put a few solar panels on your roof, and ride the bus whenever possible. It's about us nad what we do that changes things, and so far we aren't willing to change.
    Last edited by Rich Aemry; 07-11-2011 at 01:08 PM.

  8. #8
    Rich Aemry
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    That's hogwash, all the water on earth today is 100% the same water that was on earth a million years ago. Water is renewable, and it is recyclable. Nature has it's own purification system even. What we ARE running out of is petrolium, precious metals and gems, and space. Also clean oxygen is getting more and more scarce.
    CLEAN water is running out too. Don't kid yourself.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aemry View Post
    CLEAN water is running out too. Don't kid yourself.
    No, it's really not. Aside from man made purification systems, natures way is still pretty solid.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    That's hogwash, all the water on earth today is 100% the same water that was on earth a million years ago. Water is renewable, and it is recyclable. Nature has it's own purification system even. What we ARE running out of is petrolium, precious metals and gems, and space. Also clean oxygen is getting more and more scarce.
    While this may be true the number of people on the planet that use the water pollute the water and generally waste the water in areas is astronomically bigger than it was even 2000 years ago. Not to mention the polluted water that falls in the form of acid rain....or entire ecosystems like lakes becoming barren because of pollution.

  11. #11
    Shield of Telara Adebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    706

    Default

    We need to start getting more renewable energy plants. And we need to leave the Middle East, it's taking to large a toll on our money, and we're already indebted to China.

    Leave the East, pay off our debts, build a wall around the U.S. and tell the world to kiss our rear ends...

    I suppose Canada, Great Britain and France can come over.
    127% of internet statistics are made up on the spot.

    Never trust obscure quotes from famous people on the internet. -George Washington

  12. #12
    Rich Aemry
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    No, it's really not. Aside from man made purification systems, natures way is still pretty solid.
    Tell that to the people in 3rd world countries dying of cholera and diarrhea. Tell that to the city of Atlanta, GA where the spigots ran dry last year. Tell that to the Texas Water Development Board where they are fretting about what will happen in the next 20 years when the Ogallala aquifer which prevents the desertification of Texas runs dry.

    Water is running out too, and you are kidding yourself if you don't see it. It's being redistributed --just like the O2. There is roughly the same amount of water there has been for a few billion years (as is the case with O2,) but much of it isn't potable, and even more of it is salinated due to us mining the ground water faster than it can replenish itself. If you mine the ground water faster than it replenishes it winds up in the ocean.

    Yes, we could in fact desalinate the water, but that's horribly inefficient and currently impossible to sustain any sizable population on top of being cost prohibitive.

  13. #13
    Rich Aemry
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adebar View Post
    We need to start getting more renewable energy plants. And we need to leave the Middle East, it's taking to large a toll on our money, and we're already indebted to China.

    Leave the East, pay off our debts, build a wall around the U.S. and tell the world to kiss our rear ends...

    I suppose Canada, Great Britain and France can come over.
    The only thing the French can host is an invasion!

  14. #14
    Champion joanlewiswrites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    525

    Default

    If resource experts worldwide are either lying about resource scarcity or are being misled by other experts who are lying to them, that would be better for us than what these experts claim the reality is. Why? Because eventually, perhaps, the technologies that would provide us all with comfortable, long lives would be revealed and utilized. The alternative is possible extinction of our species due to our current and future energy wars. Or do we, the billion-odd privileged consumers of the majority of the world's resources, really think the other six-odd billion are going to continue to sit by while we strip the land and seas around them of energy that they would like to have for their own use?

    The energy technology conspiracy really makes no sense, unfortunately. We would have to assume that the people lying to us are capable of inventing technologies that will resolve our resource issues and also prevent independent inventors of these technologies from selling or giving them away, thus ending the worldwide conspiracy. Yet at the same time we would have to believe that the very people capable of such fiendish ingenuity are also irrational and self-destructive and that they prefer a suffering species on the brink of technological collapse and possible extinction to a species that utilizes these technologies.

    Granted, isolated incidents of corporate greed have hobbled technology throughout history, and will continue to do so. But this issue, or rather, collection of issues, is on a worldwide scale, and it affects every human being on the planet, no matter how rich or poor.
    I'd be an advocate for separate queues for premade and non premade groups. Some people have said they were successful in all queuing separately at the exact same time. If this is true, there will still be rofl-stomps of non premade groups even if only 90% of the team gets in. Does anyone have an idea how they could/even would combat this?
    Posted on 03-07-2011 by Sinoxis

  15. #15
    Rich Aemry
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joanlewiswrites View Post
    If resource experts worldwide are either lying about resource scarcity or are being misled by other experts who are lying to them, that would be better for us than what these experts claim the reality is. Why? Because eventually, perhaps, the technologies that would provide us all with comfortable, long lives would be revealed and utilized. The alternative is possible extinction of our species due to our current and future energy wars. Or do we, the billion-odd privileged consumers of the majority of the world's resources, really think the other six-odd billion are going to continue to sit by while we strip the land and seas around them of energy that they would like to have for their own use?

    The energy technology conspiracy really makes no sense, unfortunately. We would have to assume that the people lying to us are capable of inventing technologies that will resolve our resource issues and also prevent independent inventors of these technologies from selling or giving them away, thus ending the worldwide conspiracy. Yet at the same time we would have to believe that the very people capable of such fiendish ingenuity are also irrational and self-destructive and that they prefer a suffering species on the brink of technological collapse and possible extinction to a species that utilizes these technologies.

    Granted, isolated incidents of corporate greed have hobbled technology throughout history, and will continue to do so. But this issue, or rather, collection of issues, is on a worldwide scale, and it affects every human being on the planet, no matter how rich or poor.
    I would differ with you on one point. (I work in IP) Independent inventors cannot hold up against a major corporation in IP litigation, so since in the US the owner of the IP is responsible to enforce any applicable patent copyright or trademark in cases of infringement by another entity (outside of media which got the laws changed to make piracy criminal in the past few years) the independent inventor either sells his patents or gets them stolen. Exxon Mobile is the largest owner of alternative energy patents in the world, and they will pull them all out when they run out of cheap to drill oil. Other companies like them do similar things.

    Other than that you're spot on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts