+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I love when companies ask for suggestions

Banned

Default I love when companies ask for suggestions

Years ago a local golf course started to become the butt of all jokes concerning golf and service industry in general.. The employees and condition of the business was nothing to brag about.. Anyways.. The owner of said golf course got wind through the grapevine, his course was frowned upon.. So in attempts to improve their image of a business that cares.. They put up a suggestion box next to the grill..

Over the next year, I and others repeatedly tossed in suggestions such as tree trimming, schedule of greens cutting and hole location, alternative aeration methods, and more.. None of our suggestions ever bear fruit.. It wasn't much later that we found out through a trusted employee that caught the owner taking the suggestions inside the box and walking over to the dumpster and pitching them.. NEVER reading a single one.. NO surprise, but you always like to give them the benefit of the doubt, right?

Isn't this like gaming companies that say let us know through community@blahblah.com.... then come to find out they simply do what we all do in our inbox, "select all" and press delete.. LOL
    Last edited by Rydeson; 07-11-2011 at 04:39 AM.

Rift Disciple

Some companies do, some don't. The way I see it, if a company is doing good or "okay", then they don't wanna waste their time reading through thousands of suggestions cause they are either lazy, don't have the time or don't care cause their company is doing fine the way it is.

If a company is doing BAD, and they don't want to read the suggestions, then that's just so wrong. One prime example is SOE! Their forums are filled with suggestions, complaints and petitions. But SOE are total failures when it comes to MMO development. When one of their games loses subscribers, rather than looking at player's suggestions for aid, they just do the complete opposite and do whatever they want and 99% of the time... no... 100% OF THE TIME... it's not what the majority of their subscribers want or care about! The worst is when they delete petition threads!!! If someone starts a petition thread and there is A LOT of signatures, isn't that a sign that maybe they should pay a little bit of attention to the petition? But no... they just delete it completely! SOE needed help from their subscribers and they just spit on all these faces! Now look at them. EQ1 and EQ2 are dying games. Sure there's a few 10k remaining players... but come on. 10,000 SUBSCRIBERS??? Each server has at most a hundred active players every night cause not all 10k players play at the same time.

But Trion? Bleh... they could read the forums and suggestions, if they wanna delete petition threads then fine. At least Rift isn't as dead as other MMOs like LOTRO, WAR or AoC!!! If Rift was dying like Age of Conan, then yes... I would suggest they start worrying and start applying suggestions, ideas and fix up complaints left on the forums. But until they shrink to that level... they seem to be doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Systhro View Post
    Some companies do, some don't. The way I see it, if a company is doing good or "okay", then they don't wanna waste their time reading through thousands of suggestions cause they are either lazy, don't have the time or don't care cause their company is doing fine the way it is.

If a company is doing BAD, and they don't want to read the suggestions, then that's just so wrong. One prime example is SOE! Their forums are filled with suggestions, complaints and petitions. But SOE are total failures when it comes to MMO development. When one of their games loses subscribers, rather than looking at player's suggestions for aid, they just do the complete opposite and do whatever they want and 99% of the time... no... 100% OF THE TIME... it's not what the majority of their subscribers want or care about! The worst is when they delete petition threads!!! If someone starts a petition thread and there is A LOT of signatures, isn't that a sign that maybe they should pay a little bit of attention to the petition? But no... they just delete it completely! SOE needed help from their subscribers and they just spit on all these faces! Now look at them. EQ1 and EQ2 are dying games. Sure there's a few 10k remaining players... but come on. 10,000 SUBSCRIBERS??? Each server has at most a hundred active players every night cause not all 10k players play at the same time.

But Trion? Bleh... they could read the forums and suggestions, if they wanna delete petition threads then fine. At least Rift isn't as dead as other MMOs like LOTRO, WAR or AoC!!! If Rift was dying like Age of Conan, then yes... I would suggest they start worrying and start applying suggestions, ideas and fix up complaints left on the forums. But until they shrink to that level... they seem to be doing fine.
    once you shrink to that level , its a little to late.
    Minsc and Boo
    All time favorite RPG characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rydeson View Post
    Years ago a local golf course started to become the butt of all jokes concerning golf and service industry in general.. The employees and condition of the business was nothing to brag about.. Anyways.. The owner of said golf course got wind through the grapevine, his course was frowned upon.. So in attempts to improve their image of a business that cares.. They put up a suggestion box next to the grill..

Over the next year, I and others repeatedly tossed in suggestions such as tree trimming, schedule of greens cutting and hole location, alternative aeration methods, and more.. None of our suggestions ever bear fruit.. It wasn't much later that we found out through a trusted employee that caught the owner taking the suggestions inside the box and walking over to the dumpster and pitching them.. NEVER reading a single one.. NO surprise, but you always like to give them the benefit of the doubt, right?

Isn't this like gaming companies that say let us know through community@blahblah.com.... then come to find out they simply do what we all do in our inbox, "select all" and press delete.. LOL
    Pretty much.

I remember years ago the Publisher's House Clearing sweepstakes that had all these people running around, ordering magazines to count as entries. They would put the winner on T.V. to 'prove' that people won randomly and out of the blue.

Then someone did an investigative journalist piece and went dumpster diving. They found all these entries that the company was dumping in the dumpsters, lol. Then they pulled quite a few out and found that if a person had checked "I do not want to subscribe to a magazine" in the "NO" box, their entry was there.

It never amazes me when companies do the things they do. To make the changes most of their customers want would be too expensive and time consuming. So the better way is to spend a little money on consulting firms and get advice on ways to make the customer feel you are listening to them.

The most effective way a firm will advise them to do this is with the 'personal touch'; make the customer identify with YOU rather than the product or company. In this case, most of the diehards identify with Scott Hartsman rather than Trion. So they feel reluctant to criticize the game because they think it's like spitting in his face personally (I can easily back this up with posts).

That's why companies can ignore most of the suggestions and it was this way with Mythic. Most fans wouldn't recognize the reality of the game's faults because they 'liked' Mark Jacobs because he was a 'regular guy' they'd like to have a beer with. So they kept subbing while most everyone else left.

As long as they believe Scott 'hears' them, they won't worry about their suggestions never coming into play until years down the line and that's what companies count on.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 07-11-2011 at 07:06 AM.

Companies that are doing well still benefit a lot from reading suggestions. The world changes. Not everyone is happy with any product out there. The question isn't whether there is room for improvement; the question is where there's room for improvement.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

+ Reply to Thread