+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Moving out on my own

Shadowlander

Default Moving out on my own

Im single with a full time job with full benifits making $12.74/hr, do you think I can finnally **** of my parents house and live semi-comfortable? Whats your thoughts?
    Last edited by Demigod Protogeno; 07-10-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demigod Protogeno View Post
    Im single with a full time job with full benifits making $12.74/hr, do you think I can finnally **** of my parents house and live semi-comfortable? Whats your thoughts?
    While possible, it wouldn't be glorious or anything. Also highly dependent on the average rent in your area, and utilities.

If you can find an apartment with utilities included, or with electric appliances (washer/dryer) then those can be great steps if the rent is tolerable.

Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

Ascendant

It's plenty unless you live in Cali or New York.

Rich Aemry

Where do you live?

What savings do you have?

If where you live is cheap enough the actual bills will be fine, though you should still find a roommate since that will cut costs and keep your loneliness at bay.

If you have no savings WAIT, save up enough to survive for 6 months just in case sheet hits the fan and so you can negotiate a better lease over time. While you're at it buy some furniture and decorative items since there isn't much that is less attractive to young women than a bachelor pad.

My two cents.

I lived on my own off 800$ a month for awhile, so it can easily be done.

The hell would you want to move out of your parents house for. Just pay them 400 bucks a month to live in the basement and turn it into your very own "Basement Fun Zone". You avoid any real rent or bills this way.

Chicks will dig the whole "I live at home to take care of my parents" story you can give them, really this is a win all around.
    Vanilla Rift (Cleared) - ToDQ 4/4 - FT 4/4 - EE 5/5 - GA 1/4

It really depends where you live. If you live in a MAJOR city, $12/hr will make it very difficult to live in. However, if you live in a smaller city outside of a major city, rent can often be a fraction of what it is elsewhere.

An example, a single bedroom apartment can run as high as $900 in some cities and as low as $500 in others. Your likely bringing home $900 after taxes a month. Your going to need food and travel expenses likely as well. My suggestion is you plan out an actual budget before you move out and find out you can't afford things, or run out of money too quickly.
    Please be sure to follow the Code of Conduct at all times when using these forums.
    Please feel free to contact the Rift Community Team at community@riftgame.com if you have any questions or concerns about this message or its contents.

Ascendant

I just bought a house and I make $13 an hour.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

If you are over 20 you can not afford not to.
    Live within your means, save money where you can and you will likely find your new life doable, and rewarding. Good luck building your life.
    Thanks for the haircuts.

You forgot to mention how old you are and where you live... those things matter. $12.74 an hour isn't much these days if you live on the eastern seaboard or west coast.

If you are young (i.e. 18-21) imo you should find a roommate or move in with someone who is looking to rent a room to someone. It is relatively easy to find and a great experience in character building. If it doesn't work out, you could move back into your parents house! At least you will get an appreciation of what it means to be out there on your own.

Roommate that was a good idea I didn't consider.
    Thanks for the haircuts.

- How much is your car insurance?

- How much is your car payment?

- How much is your phone bill?

- How much do you eat per month?

- How much clothing do you buy per month?

- How much do you spend on entertainment a month?

- How much do you have to pay for old bills? (School loans, credit cards, etc)

- How much electricity do you use a month?

- Do you have to pay for water and heat, or are they included?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Jakranka View Post
    It really depends where you live. If you live in a MAJOR city, $12/hr will make it very difficult to live in. However, if you live in a smaller city outside of a major city, rent can often be a fraction of what it is elsewhere.

An example, a single bedroom apartment can run as high as $900 in some cities and as low as $500 in others. Your likely bringing home $900 after taxes a month. Your going to need food and travel expenses likely as well. My suggestion is you plan out an actual budget before you move out and find out you can't afford things, or run out of money too quickly.
    The purple has spoken. Thus it is solved.
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

I'd suggest taking Dave Ramsey's Finiancial Peace University course..it's 13 weeks long and has invaluable information for someone like yourself just starting out.

Can you live on 12.74/hr by yourself......sure you can. The questions become...

am I willing to live in something like that in that part of town?

Am I ok with eating rice and beans and bean and rice for change up?

Do I have to have internet and a smart phone?

The course I mentioned will help you with how to make those decisions and abide by them. Good Luck!
    In the dusts of hell Lurked the blackest of hates, For he who eats fear awaits you
    RIFT Mantra: Exploit Now and Exploit Often, You wont be punished!!

Roommates is never a good idea and one lesson you will learn very quickly. Get a room or small bachelors with utilities included. Best way to actually start off on your own is to be actually on your own.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast