+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vanguard: Saga of Heroes -- Development Reconfirmed?

Default Vanguard: Saga of Heroes -- Development Reconfirmed?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/07...ard/#continued

With no official panels or events planned for Vanguard fans at this year's Fan Faire, you might wonder whether Sony Online Entertainment has any plans for the future of the game. But take heart, because Vanguard is definitely alive and on the minds of the SOE development team. Salim "Silius" Grant from SOE sat down to talk to Massively about future plans for Vanguard. Read on for an update on the world of Telon.

While Grant wasn't able to go into detail, he did say that there have been high-level meetings regarding future updates for Vanguard. They are definitely planning to do two updates within the fiscal year for Vanguard, although there is no exact timetable on when those updates will launch. He said that he will more than likely be overseeing whatever will be implemented, and they will also bring in other developers who had previously worked on the game.

As to what will be in the updates, he said details are still being worked on, but it will probably include adventure content such as quests and dungeons, and they'll look to make use of some of the emptier real estate currently in game.

Next, we asked whether Vanguard might go free-to-play. Grant responded that it would be a major undertaking to add it into the game, since it would require a revenue stream, most likely in the form of a Station Cash Marketplace. So while they've talked about it, it's not on the table at this time.

When asked about whether the focus would be on revamping current content or adding new content, he said that what they're looking at is what will be the best bang for the buck for Vanguard fans, and what will meet the needs of the players. He also added that they want to put in content that will last for a while, and not be burned through quickly by the playerbase.

Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

It would make me quite happy if sony follows through with this. the only real reason ive stayed away was knowing that there would never be additional content.

this one is definatly worth a look for those who never played it.
    Minsc and Boo
    All time favorite RPG characters.

I'm just shocked the SOE mentioned the words "Vanguard", "development" and "future" in the same sentence without choking to death.

aux

Most likely they'll just attempt to finish the game off again. They must be disappointed that it still has players, and EQ3 is getting closer to launch.
    I'm so BORED

Rift Disciple

I can't believe this game is still in SOE's mind. The game was never successful ever since it launched! One of the major reasons why the game failed was because it had really nice graphics (For it's time) and required ridiculous PC specs to run it. With today's technology, anyone with a $500 PC could probably play this game at full settings... but why would you wanna play this? No one even knows it exists, barely anyone play it, and there's definately better MMOs out there to play!

Plus it's a Sony Online Entertainment MMO. That alone should be enough to avoid this game at all cost. Sorry if I'm a SOE hater... but what can I say? SWG, EQ2, The Matrix Online... all dead or dying and SOE treated us like crap. You think I ever wanna replay a SOE MMO ever again after they've spit on our faces for 3 other MMOs I played by them? Hell no!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Systhro View Post
    I can't believe this game is still in SOE's mind. The game was never successful ever since it launched! One of the major reasons why the game failed was because it had really nice graphics (For it's time) and required ridiculous PC specs to run it. With today's technology, anyone with a $500 PC could probably play this game at full settings... but why would you wanna play this? No one even knows it exists, barely anyone play it, and there's definately better MMOs out there to play!

Plus it's a Sony Online Entertainment MMO. That alone should be enough to avoid this game at all cost. Sorry if I'm a SOE hater... but what can I say? SWG, EQ2, The Matrix Online... all dead or dying and SOE treated us like crap. You think I ever wanna replay a SOE MMO ever again after they've spit on our faces for 3 other MMOs I played by them? Hell no!!!
    The game failed because of bugs, not the computer specs. People were willing to upgrade for a good game just like today people will still do that. The coding was really bad and they had really bad stability problems no matter what kind of machine you had. This wasn't the graphics, it was the bugs.

Yeah, you're a hater and that logic is pretty unreasonable. If a company has a great game would you not play it because you 'hate' the company? That's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I hate McDonald's with a passion (maybe its the clown, idk) but I know if they made some burger/food item that was absolutely delicious I'd go there and get that. I actually only go to McDonalds for their sundaes as they are better than my fav fast food restaurant's offering.. Burger King.

Just recently marked the 1 year anniversary of no ACTUAL patches or content.

It's been what, over 2 years since the "Promises Letter" from Silius about what would be added to the game, and over 18 months since the now infamous "Christmas Letter"?

People got all giddy when Naylie said "Vanguard has gotten a lot of attention internally this past week. I do believe that a road map for the game is being worked on. When that road map will be agreed upon and ready for posting, I do not know. When that information is ready to be shared it will be posted as soon as possible." The only problem is, people ASSumed that the "attention" was going to be something "Good". For all she knew (which was not much, and could say even less) they were making a road map to shut down or sell off Vanguard.

I played Vanguard since before SoE ever got their claws into it. I came in on Beta 2, and stayed until about 9 months ago, when the writing was LONG PAST on the wall.

Sony is HEMORRHAGING money, they have losses that are massive. They laid off or transferred ALL the Vanguard Developers ... including Silius ... to other games. I went to Fan Fare 2009 sort of pissed about what SoE was doing to the game, and talked to Silius and others for hours and heard their promises and actually came back from FF2009 with optimism. Months later, only to realize that I, and all the other Vanguard players were LIED to by Silius and Smed.

So pardon me if I judge ANYTHING that SoE SAYS based on what they actually DO, and not what they SAY.

It's a shame, because hands down, Vanguard is the best MMO out there. Too bad it is now owned by one of the worst companies out there.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

I just started playing Vanguard and it's actually a really enjoyable and deep game. It's a shame that it didn't get adequate attention. I have a feeling it would have done better than EQ2 if it received the same amount of development. I'd be really happy if it gets some patch love, but I can totally understand the skepticism about SOE actually delivering; sifting through old Vanguard information turned up a lot of unimplemented things like the Berserker and Inquisitor classes and various "upcoming" class revamps that never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    I just started playing Vanguard and it's actually a really enjoyable and deep game. It's a shame that it didn't get adequate attention. I have a feeling it would have done better than EQ2 if it received the same amount of development. I'd be really happy if it gets some patch love, but I can totally understand the skepticism about SOE actually delivering; sifting through old Vanguard information turned up a lot of unimplemented things like the Berserker and Inquisitor classes and various "upcoming" class revamps that never happened.
    There is also a lot of unfinished zones and area's. Nexus, HOSS, etc. VG truly does deserve something, and the loyal fanbase there has been left in the dark wondering for over a year now. This in itself warrants something that SOE should contribute.

I'm not a fan of SOE either, I don't think most people are. But I'm not going to deny myself the Vanguard experience just because a company as deceitful as SOE owns it. People need to get over their SOE experiences, because we've all felt the wrath of SOE. We've also seen many good things from SOE, but the negative things were just far to extreme.

Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

General of Telara

Vg had some of the best potential in an mmo I have played then a certain person got his grubby mitts on the game, forced an early release (told you so) and didn't ad enough content in quick enough for the players.

I won't ever be going back, such a shame, amazing you go from a game where it took a month to get to 50 at release to a game where it takes under a week!
    Last edited by Elgarr; 07-12-2011 at 02:52 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Machiko_Naguchi View Post
    So pardon me if I judge ANYTHING that SoE SAYS based on what they actually DO, and not what they SAY.

It's a shame, because hands down, Vanguard is the best MMO out there. Too bad it is now owned by one of the worst companies out there.
    Vanguard still brings a lonely tear to my eye, even I quited at 2009 christmas. With good developing and content VG would have been *the* best MMO by miles. Had it been like it was after APW & Griffon quest (minus bugs) at launch and then getting decent content additions (similar to Rift) it would have rocked the world. It had great classes & mechanics, player build houses and boats (I had 11 I think), flying mounts, one of the best raid instance ever made (APW), unparalled world, great replay value (I had 6 lv55 toons, best crafting system ever (for that I has to give credit to Silius). So many good memories and so many broken promises by Smed and Silius.

Ascendant

Much ado about nothing.
    High level meetings; people that don't work in corporate environments are more than likely interpreting this as "The big guys are talking about it". High level, in the corp world, means it was mentioned, that's all. It's the board room version of water cooler talk.

They plan for two updates but they don't know when and they don't know what. Sounds like carrot wiggling to me. It's been so long since they did anything for that game, why come out now with so little information.

They can't even get the rain effects to work, don't count on too much magic.

I was waiting for a while to see if VG got some love but too little to late for me, Rift pretty much has my attention now.

He said that he will more than likely be overseeing whatever will be implemented
    No thanks.

Silius = KDQ grind and PotA grind.

The KDQ faction grind made Rift's plaque grinds look like a kill 10 rats quest.

I am in no way enthused about Silius +1 or 2 devs (even if they're Ikik and Jansen) doing a couple more grind-your-eyes-out "updates" and calling it content.

Edit:
    From the article:
    When asked about whether the focus would be on revamping current content or adding new content, he said that what they're looking at is what will be the best bang for the buck for Vanguard fans, and what will meet the needs of the players. He also added that they want to put in content that will last for a while, and not be burned through quickly by the playerbase.
    "Bang for the buck" = almost no investment from SoE. Silius + Ikik, tops.

"Content that will last for a while" = massive faction grind.
    Last edited by -Swag-; 07-12-2011 at 04:51 AM.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    They can't even get the rain effects to work, don't count on too much magic.
    Can you walk up stairs yet?

I think that was listed in Silius' List of Bugs We Will Never Fix™ because they couldn't afford to hire a graphics programmer.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by -Swag- View Post
    Can you walk up stairs yet?

I think that was listed in Silius' List of Bugs We Will Never Fix™ because they couldn't afford to hire a graphics programmer.
    lol, not sure, I forgot about that one. If you do manage to go up it looks like a mini seizure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast