+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would WoW Be WoW without Add-Ons?

Rift Master

Default Would WoW Be WoW without Add-Ons?

What do you guys think, would WoW be what it is today if they did not allow add ons?

Soulwalker

Methinks this is der Rift forum not der World of Failcraft forum.

Rift Master

Interesting question.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle, meaning at this point it's probably more one's opinion, than a player-based consensus.

I think some of the addons didn't do a lot of good for the game and the players. Those of you who haven't played WoW, you have no idea what the Gear Score addon did. It brought out the worst in a lot of the players. Sitting behind their computer screen, it allowed a large number of players to turn into ***holes, and that is putting it mildly.

A damage addon such as recount, which could have served as an indication of "how much damage/healing am I doing," turned into another weapon used by the same people to show everyone their 1337-ness and put other players down.

I would like to see a damage meter in this game, but one you cannot spam to other players. At the end of a dungeon or instance, you should be able to bring up the damage you did, and nobody else. That would provide you with the info necessary for self-evaluation, and give you an indication of where you are damage-wise. Also, I would like this addon to keep track of your DPS through all dungeons/instances, so you can see if you're increasing, decreasing, or stagnating.

DBM - Deadly Boss Mods - I think went a little too far in providing warnings to players on what a boss was going to do in the next few seconds. This meant you, as a player, no longer needed to take the initiative and do research on what different bosses could/would do. Just jump in a dungeon and let DBM tell you what's going to happen, and then you react to it. The repeated running of dungeons and instances to train new players was eliminated by the addon, and that was something that didn't do the player-base a lot of good either.

I think the "I-level" concept that replaced Gear Score was a good way to let you know where you stand in regard to the available dungeons/instances, i.e., which ones you can play and which ones are above your level of gear.

There are a lot of other addons that did a lot of good and are helpfull to eliminate repeat actions, but I just wanted to focus on the three main addons used in WoW, and what my personal opinion is on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    What do you guys think, would WoW be what it is today if they did not allow add ons?

Why are you asking that in the Rift forum?
    "It always sound scarier when a hollerer talk soft."

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor7 View Post
    Interesting question.
    No it's not.

Yes, it would still be WoW. Just more annoying than it already is.

If you're trying to plug plug-ins then I'd say: Yes every software application should be designed for them.

Prophet of Telara

Just like these forums would be these forums without troll threads.
    I really hate people.

WoW look how damn much it relies on plugins now.

(double on tundra)
    healer: easy
    dps: easy
    tank: OMGWTFBBQ WHY IS HE THERE WHAT OH CRAP COME BACK HERE STAY HERE OH GOD THERES MORE HEAL ME HEAL ME HEAL ME HEAL ME!!! oh im alive, that was easy lets do it again

It probably wouldn't. Not because the majority of people use addons (I don't think they do) but because of what addons were adopted into the default UI and subsequently are now default elements in Rift's UI.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by hurrak View Post
    WoW look how damn much it relies on plugins now.

(double on tundra)
    So its two plateaus that get little rain and has no streams of water, typically a flat plateau with no trees and is usually found in a cold environment?
    I really hate people.

No that isn't...

Ascendant

What's more interesting is that Rift would not be the same if Wow didn't have addons. Case in point; quest helper.

If it were not for that, Rift probably would not have the map helpers.

Thread should be moved to WoW's forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor7 View Post
    Interesting question.

DBM - Deadly Boss Mods - I think went a little too far in providing warnings to players on what a boss was going to do in the next few seconds. This meant you, as a player, no longer needed to take the initiative and do research on what different bosses could/would do. Just jump in a dungeon and let DBM tell you what's going to happen, and then you react to it. The repeated running of dungeons and instances to train new players was eliminated by the addon, and that was something that didn't do the player-base a lot of good either.
    I'd sure like to see this version of DBM everyone talks about. In fact, about 70% of raiding WoW guilds would like to see it. Because that's how many never complete the raid content. That's not a percentage of players, it's the percentage of guilds that have killed at least one raid boss. On each raid cycle it stays around 30% that clear it all on regular mode and less than 3% for hard modes. If DBM did half of what everyone claims it does then that number would be at least 90%.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Acesfool View Post
    I'd sure like to see this version of DBM everyone talks about. In fact, about 70% of raiding WoW guilds would like to see it. Because that's how many never complete the raid content. That's not a percentage of players, it's the percentage of guilds that have killed at least one raid boss. On each raid cycle it stays around 30% that clear it all on regular mode and less than 3% for hard modes. If DBM did half of what everyone claims it does then that number would be at least 90%.
    if you cant kill bosses with DBM, you probably should look into a new hobby

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast