+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Impact of a forum's 'tone' on your enjoyment of a game

Default Impact of a forum's 'tone' on your enjoyment of a game

Does reading the forums affect your enjoyment of the game in any way?

When I really enjoy a game, I want to spend the times I can't play perusing the forums, learning new things, and discussing the game.

I've been playing Rift since Beta 2. I think it's an awesome game. (Note for anyone who wants to wander by and say 'yeah, wait til you're 50...been there, done that!) There are things I'd like to see changed or added, but given the speed at which they update, I'm not going anywhere soon because I want to see what's next.

I swear to god these forums are just breaking my heart. The negativity, the trolling, the absolute disrespect of posters towards other people and the devs. Yikes.

When I log into the game, it makes me leery of everyone around me. Are they one of those people from the forums? It's disconcerting.

Sadly it does, as much as people like to drop that sound bite "the vocal minority", a games forums normally reflect the in game community pretty closely.
    "Never give up and never surrender!"

So, it's just you 57 cops against KUNG FU JOE? Master of KUNG-FU, KARATE, JIU-JITSU, and all kinds of other shiz you ain't never heard of! HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

I don't think this forum reflects the community in game at all. I truly do think it's a minority.

If I forget about what I read here and I just go and play, everyone (mostly everyone *laugh*) is having a good time.

I dunno. I've been playing MMOs since early UO.

It's only in recent games where I've seen such vitriol from people who are done with the game. Why? When I'm done with a game, I either say *to myself * 'well done, it was fun while it lasted' or 'blech, that wasn't fun'. However, I don't feel the need to tell the world either opinion and especially not over and over and over.

Is this the new standard of MMO forums? If you enjoy the game, get out?

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by kashaun View Post
    Sadly it does, as much as people like to drop that sound bite "the vocal minority", a games forums normally reflect the in game community pretty closely.
    Wow, your server sucks. The people I encounter playing the game very rarely exhibit the sort of behavior the forums do. People are enjoying the game, many are positive, friendly, helpful and like their class. Most are relatively pleased with the game overall even if they do see a few issues.

At the end of the day "the vocal minority" is one of those "it's actually true" cliches. You encounter is everywhere, it's the same reason that half the world sees americans as fat rednecks, because a few vocal idiots give a bad impression of America. Or that many teenage atheists see all religious sorts as hateful liars, even though most are just decent folk, and many religious sorts see atheists as teenage rebels. Hate makes you loud and annoying. Hateful stupid people are loud and brash and offensive and so it's what you see most, people just getting on and being reasonable don't cause a stir you just overlook and forget them. Quietly content people don't post on forums to say "yeah it's going okay" very often because they're busy playing the game.

Not only is the "vocal minority" very real and a problem with a section of every community but it's ruining everything and everyone. If I log into my server /50 isn't full of people *****ing about being one shot by mages/warriors/rogues/clerics and the like, or how trion ruined everything, most are talking utter crap or celebrating raid kills or trying to organise raid rifts or experts.

If you're one of the people on the forums who actually thinks you represent the majority then I am.. I feel.. that upsets me okay?
    Last edited by Devicus; 07-08-2011 at 08:04 PM.

i used to play this game, where the forums were indefinetly better than the actual game - and the sole reason for my sub being active

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by merrier View Post
    I swear to god these forums are just breaking my heart. The negativity, the trolling, the absolute disrespect of posters towards other people and the devs. Yikes.

When I log into the game, it makes me leery of everyone around me. Are they one of those people from the forums? It's disconcerting.
    I agree completely.

With the word 'sadly', I don't mean trash talking in general chat, I don't mind that at all. I'm eluding to the condescending, self-entitled, elitists who normally respond to everything by going down the list of the latest forum thread one liners and abbreviations. So, yes, this forum reflects the in game community nearly to an exact.
    "Never give up and never surrender!"

So, it's just you 57 cops against KUNG FU JOE? Master of KUNG-FU, KARATE, JIU-JITSU, and all kinds of other shiz you ain't never heard of! HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

Weird; after browsing WoW forums for 3 years I thought it was just kinda the normal thing.

Most players don't use/aren't aware of the forums, so I hardly think its representative of the whole community. Forums tend to bring out the best and the worst, so it balances out.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by merrier View Post
    Does reading the forums affect your enjoyment of the game in any way?

When I really enjoy a game, I want to spend the times I can't play perusing the forums, learning new things, and discussing the game.

I've been playing Rift since Beta 2. I think it's an awesome game. (Note for anyone who wants to wander by and say 'yeah, wait til you're 50...been there, done that!) There are things I'd like to see changed or added, but given the speed at which they update, I'm not going anywhere soon because I want to see what's next.

to me none.
    but i bet there are people, that are effected by it.
    why other tons of comercials if they did not work?

To answer the OP: Not really. I'll admit that the tone of these forums isn't quite as good as it could be but its far from the worst I've seen. Anyone ever use f4g when UO was still quite popular? THAT was a cesspit forum!

Sure, there are people on these forums who seem to extract a perverse pleasure out of being unpleasant but they're surely a minority. In-game, its completely different in my experience. Folks tend to be nicer, more friendly and helpfull.

The goons on these forums have very little impact upon me, I ignore them as a general rule of thumb.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by kashaun View Post
    This is not true at all. Play rift and the people in game are pretty awesome generally. The forums are a cesspool by and large.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Thumbs up

Yes, it can have an affect.

It was probably the biggest reason why I finally left Warcraft.

I could probably have dealt with the change in gameplay, it wasn't for the elitist reactionary snobs.

It's a game after all. People need to chill.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    This is not true at all. Play rift and the people in game are pretty awesome generally. The forums are a cesspool by and large.
    I noticed your sig, i used to mod a game that was overhyped but turned out pretty bad. I think it was a star wars game

Quote Originally Posted by micshaz View Post
    i used to play this game, where the forums were indefinetly better than the actual game - and the sole reason for my sub being active
    i have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by micshaz View Post
    I noticed your sig, i used to mod a game that was overhyped but turned out pretty bad. I think it was a star wars game
    ohsnap....

Official Forum Rules | Announcements
    Support Forums | Understanding the Report Button

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast