Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: TROLLING - Your thoughts?

  1. #1
    Banned Bunzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,823

    Default TROLLING - Your thoughts?

    Apparently i get banned alot for trolling/baiting however this is not my intention. Im not trying to troll anyone and they ban me for it. How can they ban me for what THEY view as trolling. Surely deeming what is trolling or not is different for everyone. How can their moral values determine other peoples intentions, because in all honestly they don't know if people are trolling or not. They just assume which leads to all kind of problems in the end.

    I am not a troll just because you think i am doesn't make me one!

    I am seriously sick of being judged by RIFT who only know me over forums.

  2. #2
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Well, that's like asking why you can be jailed just because THEY deem it stealing.

    If you have a really hard time understanding why something is considered trolling, check into whether you might be autistic or otherwise having trouble processing social rules.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  3. #3
    Banned Bunzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Well, that's like asking why you can be jailed just because THEY deem it stealing.

    If you have a really hard time understanding why something is considered trolling, check into whether you might be autistic or otherwise having trouble processing social rules.
    The thing is you can prove is someone is stealing. Hard physical evidence. Everyone would see it as stealing. Trolling is not so easily proven. You cannot prove it, you can only assume. It depends on who is reading it as to determine if its trolling or not. This in itself means its not a viable rule and should be taken away immediately.

  4. #4
    Sez
    Sez is offline
    Ascendant Sez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,142

    Default

    Send an email to community @ whatevertheytell you.


    Not that I know anything about infractions... /innocentface
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

    - Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

  5. #5
    Champion of Telara Adeezha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,231

    Default

    It's probably cos your avatar looks like a troll :P

  6. #6
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    You missed my point, Bunzy. You can prove that someone took a thing. "Stealing" is a question of property rights, and people can disagree about those.

    Anyway, it's very simple: Trolling is defined by the people running the board. Learn their rules or don't, but those are the rules.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  7. #7
    Banned Bunzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    You missed my point, Bunzy. You can prove that someone took a thing. "Stealing" is a question of property rights, and people can disagree about those.

    Anyway, it's very simple: Trolling is defined by the people running the board. Learn their rules or don't, but those are the rules.
    this is what i figured. its a rule that's based entirely on ones perception. interesting they would make a rule that changes depending on who is reading the post.

  8. #8
    Banned Bunzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    Send an email to community @ whatevertheytell you.


    Not that I know anything about infractions... /innocentface
    i have sent emails but they don't reply.

  9. #9
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunzy View Post
    this is what i figured. its a rule that's based entirely on ones perception.
    Not really, no.

    interesting they would make a rule that changes depending on who is reading the post.
    There is no alternative. The point of moderation is to maintain community. Community consists of individuals. Behavior which disrupts the community is fundamentally dependent on how people read posts.

    There is no way to make a set of rules that will provide a good community and not involve judgement calls. Conveniently, though, the mods here make pretty good judgement calls.

    Again: If you are at all surprised by the calls they're making, the problem is most likely that you have problems understanding social boundaries.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  10. #10
    Banned Bunzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Not really, no.



    There is no alternative. The point of moderation is to maintain community. Community consists of individuals. Behavior which disrupts the community is fundamentally dependent on how people read posts.

    There is no way to make a set of rules that will provide a good community and not involve judgement calls. Conveniently, though, the mods here make pretty good judgement calls.

    Again: If you are at all surprised by the calls they're making, the problem is most likely that you have problems understanding social boundaries.
    Well this is my first time i have had to deal with a trolling/baiting rule. Every other forum i have ever been with didn't have this rule. How am i meant to understand boundaries that constantly change?

  11. #11
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    By comprehending what purpose they serve. It's really simple. Posts which are likely to generate an angry response, but not likely to generate productive conversations, are often viewed as trolling.

    If this boundary isn't clear to you, get yourself a book on autism spectrum disorders and read about how autistic people learn to handle social rules. The rules aren't really changing; they're just stable in terms of a thing you don't see, apparently. Took me years to learn to manage it, but I do okay now.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  12. #12
    Banned Bunzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    By comprehending what purpose they serve. It's really simple. Posts which are likely to generate an angry response, but not likely to generate productive conversations, are often viewed as trolling.

    If this boundary isn't clear to you, get yourself a book on autism spectrum disorders and read about how autistic people learn to handle social rules. The rules aren't really changing; they're just stable in terms of a thing you don't see, apparently. Took me years to learn to manage it, but I do okay now.
    Its not that simple because how are you meant to know which posts make random people angry or not?

  13. #13
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunzy View Post
    Its not that simple because how are you meant to know which posts make random people angry or not?
    It's not "random" people. It's "reasonably expected to make people angry".

    If you can't tell whether a post would make reasonable people angry, you are probably autistic, and need to read up on how the other 99% of the world thinks so you can deal with them effectively. Seriously. For the rest of the people out there, this is about as obvious as whether or not colors clash.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  14. #14
    Telaran Kashmire299's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    83

    Default

    His display picture is a troll?
    [SIZE="4"][B][I]Subscribe to MrRise87 and MrKashmire299 on Youtube - Kashmire299, for great Rift videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MrRise87
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MrKashmire299
    Follow Kashmire299 on Twitter

  15. #15
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunzy View Post
    The thing is you can prove is someone is stealing. Hard physical evidence. Everyone would see it as stealing. Trolling is not so easily proven. You cannot prove it, you can only assume. It depends on who is reading it as to determine if its trolling or not. This in itself means its not a viable rule and should be taken away immediately.
    If your post is obviously trying to bait someone into an argument or an emotional reaction then your trolling, period. Justifying it or rationalizing it doesnt change anything. And yes, its a valid rule, because its Trion's site, not yours. Follow their rules or get banned, your choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Many have quitted, they are lost almost half of the servers they started. I hop in next MMO for sure. Rift is awesome game but PVP is just crap.
    Lol really now?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts