+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Yes I do like MMOs

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    123

    Default Yes I do like MMOs

    Actually I do like MMOs, just not the WoW style of mindless button-mashing combat, endless dungeon running stuff.

    The first MMO I ever played was Perfect World, a Chinese f2p grindfest. The grinding was pretty laid back, with lots of auto attacks and so on. I had tons of fun doing it until I hit level 92 on my tank (level cap is 105) and realized that, to advance further, I'd need to go on the endless dungeon crawl treadmill. Doing instanced dungeons with friends is a blast (even random PUGs), but doing the SAME dungeons over and over with slightly harder mobs/bosses each time isn't my idea of a fun evening after work.

    The other MMO I'm playing seriously is LotRO. Now, I'm NOT a fan af anything Tolkien (aside from some power metal bands), but this game really caught my attention. I can't compare a mature 4+ year old with Rift so I won't even try. Suffice to say that everything is perfectly where it should be, Middle Earth has a lot of variety (I love exploring the open world), lots of quest hubs, and character progression is as non-linear as it gets, although there's a kind of optional main quest line to follow (think Oblivion here).

    It's a f2p/sub hybrid, which I chose to sub since I was enjoying it so much. This is the game I'll fall back to until something worth playing comes along.

    But I'm not holding my breath...

  2. #2
    Rift Chaser Qwicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Why post this on the Rift forums?

    You basically just said

    "I like LOTRO it is a good MMO"

    ????

    My Rift Diary: Rift Diary

  3. #3
    Ascendant Aumvaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rrajao View Post
    The other MMO I'm playing seriously is LotRO
    This thread is probably headed for Off Topic, but .... I agree. LOTRO is a brilliant game. If I could only get my friends to go back to it with me, I'd be there now.

    IMO, there is no dungeon in MMOs that surpasses the Mines Of Moria.
    Fare thee well
    Let your life proceed by its own design
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

  4. #4
    Plane Walker Dourgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    416

    Default

    I'm NOT a fan af anything Tolkien (aside from some power metal bands), but this game really caught my attention. I can't compare a mature 4+ year old with Rift so I won't even try.

    Huh?
    Thanks for the haircuts.

  5. #5
    Rift Master TheGamerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Why wouldn't you be a fan of Tolkien? That's not something to be ashamed about geez...

    Anyway... You said LOTRO is a good game and I agree.

  6. #6
    Shadowlander jcox2820's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24

    Default

    LOTRO is fantastic! I do feel some of the experience was lost when it went F2P though. I played it religiously from launch to about a month or so before Mirkwood I think.

    As a Tolkein fan, I still appreciated it. It adapted the world the best it could in a persistant world (well, arguably. But the did better than anyone post MUD).
    Last edited by jcox2820; 07-07-2011 at 08:00 AM.
    I Review games, and write about other stuff! Here's some recent examples:

  7. #7
    Shadowlander Iamaom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGamerDown View Post
    Why wouldn't you be a fan of Tolkien? That's not something to be ashamed about geez...
    Because LoTR isn't for everyone? I couldn't get past the first dozen chapters in The Fellowship because I found it boring...

  8. #8
    Plane Walker Dourgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iamaom View Post
    Because LoTR isn't for everyone? I couldn't get past the first dozen chapters in The Fellowship because I found it boring...
    But how do you feel about Tolkein's power metal?
    Thanks for the haircuts.

  9. #9
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rrajao View Post
    Actually I do like MMOs, just not the WoW style of mindless button-mashing combat, endless dungeon running stuff.

    The first MMO I ever played was Perfect World, a Chinese f2p grindfest. The grinding was pretty laid back, with lots of auto attacks and so on. I had tons of fun doing it until I hit level 92 on my tank (level cap is 105) and realized that, to advance further, I'd need to go on the endless dungeon crawl treadmill. Doing instanced dungeons with friends is a blast (even random PUGs), but doing the SAME dungeons over and over with slightly harder mobs/bosses each time isn't my idea of a fun evening after work.

    The other MMO I'm playing seriously is LotRO. Now, I'm NOT a fan af anything Tolkien (aside from some power metal bands), but this game really caught my attention. I can't compare a mature 4+ year old with Rift so I won't even try. Suffice to say that everything is perfectly where it should be, Middle Earth has a lot of variety (I love exploring the open world), lots of quest hubs, and character progression is as non-linear as it gets, although there's a kind of optional main quest line to follow (think Oblivion here).

    It's a f2p/sub hybrid, which I chose to sub since I was enjoying it so much. This is the game I'll fall back to until something worth playing comes along.

    But I'm not holding my breath...

    I like MMO's to or general RPG is better term.

    Played
    Starwars Galaxy.
    Everquest 2. (only a month tho)
    EvE online. very long time.
    Lineage 2
    Vangaurd (short to)
    Aion.
    2 Moons
    Age of conan (2 years +-)
    Cabal (just a awsome game)
    and now rift.

    can't wait on the new generation MMO's
    archeage.
    TERA

    all those MMO's i learned i not really like Western MMO's, they just not my style

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple Havenless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abisha View Post
    Cabal (just a awsome game)
    cabal is such crap now I started playing it again recently and I hate all the changes they made since i played 3 years ago

  11. #11
    Ascendant Laughingstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abisha View Post
    can't wait on the new generation MMO's
    archeage.
    TERA
    Although TERA has more 'flash', I think ArcheAge has more longevity potential.

    Both have elements of open world PvP (I think Tera does but I may be wrong) but ArcheAge has more than just PvP.

    It gives players and guilds the opportunity to have people in them that don't necesarily live for PvP to play.


    A guild might need someone to be the guild crafter making boats, houses, weapons and gear so that they can defeat other guilds. This is how a person can be involved in the game even if the main theme isn't to their liking.

    Plus, the world design looks quite huge so if they are able to make it run well and few bugs, ArcheAge is going to be the sleeper hit of 2012.

  12. #12
    Plane Walker crono14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Most of LOTR was poorly implemented, the UI is clunky, the moors is a sad excuse for any kind of actual pvp, the raids are pretty lackluster imo. The thing I do like is that even with their level caps, the gear from previous tears is actually pretty good still
    Onolawk - 60 Guardian Mage
    Former Maximation Raider

  13. #13
    Ascendant Laughingstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crono14 View Post
    Most of LOTR was poorly implemented, the UI is clunky, the moors is a sad excuse for any kind of actual pvp, the raids are pretty lackluster imo. The thing I do like is that even with their level caps, the gear from previous tears is actually pretty good still
    LOTRO's story dungeons (following the books) was some of the best adventuring/playing I've had in a MMO to date.

    Very engaging and immersive and gave you a real sense of being in Middle Earth.

    Comparing that to RIFT's dungeons you simply don't feel like you're in there for any other reason but the loot because the stories don't mesh/merge well with the overall lore.

    It's part of the lore but not directly connected to the lore and makes them feel exactly like a typical dungeon run.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 07-13-2011 at 08:44 AM.

  14. #14
    Plane Walker crono14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock View Post
    LOTRO's story dungeons (following the books) was some of the best adventuring/playing I've had in a MMO to date.

    Very engaging and immersive and gave you a real sense of being in Middle Earth.

    Comparing that to RIFT's dungeons you simply don't feel like you're in there for any other reason but the loot because the stories don't mesh/merge well with the overall lore.

    It's part of the lore but not directly connected to the lore and makes them feel exactly like a typical dungeon run.
    Yeah, I will agree with that; however I never finished the books b/c I kept taking breaks from the game and never found any groups to complete the old ones heh..
    Onolawk - 60 Guardian Mage
    Former Maximation Raider

  15. #15
    Ascendant xtorma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,506

    Default

    Rift reminds me of a pen and paper D&D session a dm put together on his lunch hour based on some stuff he did in the past.
    Minsc and Boo
    All time favorite RPG characters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts