+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Quantum Theory and Games

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple Chempo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    166

    Default Quantum Theory and Games

    Lately I've been trying to get my head wrapped around 'what if games took advantage of quantum mechanics?'

    As atoms and parts of atoms are/can be everywhere and anywhere at once, what would it take for games to create this in their own works?

    Such as we see the world, we only see it as we perceive it, once we recognize a molecule, it is in one state. But if we just knew how to see it as the it intends to be, what could happen?

    Quantum computers are coming, surely but slowly. They will take Binary, and use both the 0 and the 1...at the same time (mind explodes). Thus allowing us to....well hell I have no idea, anything we want pretty much. So putting this into a game, with a mechanics of ever changing states, string theory just around for the hell of it....I think I just exploded my mind so I'll leave this up for discussion.


    *its late and my brain is thinking outside of...the box?*
    Howdy

  2. #2
    Ascendant Liziana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,415

    Default

    Whatever you're drinking...I want some!!

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple Chempo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liziana View Post
    Whatever you're drinking...I want some!!
    Science........what is this I don't even.
    Howdy

  4. #4
    Telaran Cronn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    61

    Default

    I'd like to see the devs faces and their reaction on some of the suggestions here on the forums.. this is one of such

  5. #5
    Prophet of Telara Fozzik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    This is a triumph...

    What's with all this talking when there's science to do?
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

    forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion


  6. #6
    Ascendant Kalbuir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    2,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cronn View Post
    I'd like to see the devs faces and their reaction on some of the suggestions here on the forums.. this is one of such
    +1 I want Quantum computing in RIFT or I won't be playing!

    Seriously tho I do not think it was the posters intention to claim that TRION should jump into this, there are no appliences yet as far as I know for Quantum computing let alone have a link between it with the gaming industry. It could be interesting tho say 20 years from now (I dont think 10 is a option atm). It would require a native engine and probably even native clients to be able to handle this type of work tho, before we start seeing this in games we need to go through a computer revolution, I don't think Quantum Computing can be implemented like Physix was or other tech. advancements it will change the way of thinking and approaching problems and design at the basic level.

    Regards,
    Kalbuir

  7. #7
    Telaran Cronn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
    This is a triumph...
    I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS

  8. #8
    Shadowlander crainey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Norn Iron (UK)
    Posts
    31

    Default

    thats beyond me bro

    Rift Walkers is a English speaking guild from the United Kingdom setup by a group of real life friends, if you would like to apply check out this post by us!

  9. #9
    Champion Bellatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Grid
    Posts
    580

    Default

    My head started to hurt as I was reading that :P

  10. #10
    Plane Touched Invocati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Haha um. I don't even know what quantum is.. I feel kinda dumb.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Kalbuir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    2,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Invocati View Post
    Haha um. I don't even know what quantum is.. I feel kinda dumb.
    Not sure if this portion helps :P

    A quantum computer is a device for computation that makes direct use of quantum mechanical phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform operations on data. Quantum computers are different from traditional computers based on transistors. The basic principle behind quantum computation is that quantum properties can be used to represent data and perform operations on these data.[1] A theoretical model is the quantum Turing machine, also known as the universal quantum computer.

    Although quantum computing is still in its infancy, experiments have been carried out in which quantum computational operations were executed on a very small number of qubits (quantum bit). Both practical and theoretical research continues, and many national government and military funding agencies support quantum computing research to develop quantum computers for both civilian and national security purposes, such as cryptanalysis.[2]

    If large-scale quantum computers can be built, they will be able to solve certain problems much faster than any current classical computers (for example Shor's algorithm). Quantum computers however do not allow one to compute functions that are not theoretically computable by classical computers, i.e. they do not alter the Church–Turing thesis. The gain is only in efficiency.

    Shamelessly stolen from Wiki ofc

    Update:
    Actually if you know how bits work picture the use of bits using this type of approach, that in a nutshell is quantom computing.

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sphere.svg.png


    Regards,
    Kalbuir
    Last edited by Kalbuir; 04-29-2010 at 04:04 AM.

  12. #12
    Plane Touched Invocati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    Not sure if this portion helps :P

    A quantum computer is a device for computation that makes direct use of quantum mechanical phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform operations on data. Quantum computers are different from traditional computers based on transistors. The basic principle behind quantum computation is that quantum properties can be used to represent data and perform operations on these data.[1] A theoretical model is the quantum Turing machine, also known as the universal quantum computer.

    Although quantum computing is still in its infancy, experiments have been carried out in which quantum computational operations were executed on a very small number of qubits (quantum bit). Both practical and theoretical research continues, and many national government and military funding agencies support quantum computing research to develop quantum computers for both civilian and national security purposes, such as cryptanalysis.[2]

    If large-scale quantum computers can be built, they will be able to solve certain problems much faster than any current classical computers (for example Shor's algorithm). Quantum computers however do not allow one to compute functions that are not theoretically computable by classical computers, i.e. they do not alter the Church–Turing thesis. The gain is only in efficiency.

    Shamelessly stolen from Wiki ofc

    Update:
    Actually if you know how bits work picture the use of bits using this type of approach, that in a nutshell is quantom computing.

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sphere.svg.png


    Regards,
    Kalbuir
    Wow thanks. But I think I will skip learning about it until I really HAVE to. It seems too complicated, haha.

  13. #13
    Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Er, do you realise how many atoms and molecules there would be in a mote of dust? To model anything substantive down to the quantum level would be completely impractical and the answers would be the same as newton predicted.

    Quantum computing isn't needed to model quantum mechanics, and I'm not sure how long it will be before they outperform standard semiconductor computing, the breakthroughs in material science right now is advancing faster than advances in quantum computing.

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple Chempo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Durnkrag View Post
    Er, do you realise how many atoms and molecules there would be in a mote of dust? To model anything substantive down to the quantum level would be completely impractical and the answers would be the same as newton predicted.

    Quantum computing isn't needed to model quantum mechanics, and I'm not sure how long it will be before they outperform standard semiconductor computing, the breakthroughs in material science right now is advancing faster than advances in quantum computing.
    Very true. I was just throwing in quantum computing as a significance to the world in the future. But using theories such as Quantum Mechanics and other formulas, just as we use physics in games these days, would be something that none of us can comprehend as of this time.

    Oh and to all who have no idea what we are talking about:
    Just as space has laws; it is round.
    Earth has laws, laws of motion and gravity.
    And then you have small parts of the atom, and the space between them, this is Quantum theory.

    "Imagine flipping a coin in the dark, it can be
    heads or it can be tails, you never know. Then you
    turn the lights on, and that leaves you with one answer.
    But leave the lights off...the possibilities are endless."
    Last edited by Chempo; 04-29-2010 at 04:57 AM.
    Howdy

  15. #15
    Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chempo View Post
    Very true. I was just throwing in quantum computing as a significance to the world in the future. But using theories such as Quantum Mechanics and other formulas, just as we use physics in games these days, would be something that none of us can comprehend as of this time.

    Oh and to all who have no idea what we are talking about:
    Just as space has laws; it is round.
    Earth has laws, laws of motion and gravity.
    And then you have small parts of the atom, and the space between them, this is Quantum theory.

    "Imagine flipping a coin in the dark, it can be
    heads or it can be tails, you never know. Then you
    turn the lights on, and that leaves you with one answer.
    But leave the lights off...the possibilities are endless."
    No the coin is precisely in a quantum state comprising of 0.5 heads and 0.5 tails. Oh and it killed your cat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts