+ Reply to Thread

Thread: please read

Soulwalker

Default please read

i just found this out.

Bill S.978 will make posting any copy righted material in movies, t.v., and video games illegal to post on the internet. The bill is in the right place with movies and t.v. but it will natively effect video games and stuff like machinima and so on. Also it will hurt sells on video game companies since there will be no way to tell if a game will be good or not. (no game reviews) If the bill passes and you post anything like this, you can be fined for thousands of dollars and even go to jail for 5 years.

This will cripple the video game community greatly and I suggest you share this video with everyone and go to the link in the video description, there you can state your opinion on the bill to the US Congress. (I know some of you are in the UE, sorry)

If this goes threw there will be no more let play's, walkthoughs, speed runs, game reviews, wow machinima, minecraft, wow, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hytigOSjJxc

Champion

not to say it isn't worth keeping an eye on, but they are just stiffening the copyright infringement laws. the copyright holder still has to press charges.
    I'm wearing my asbestos underwear. Flame on!
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0trix View Post
    So buy a keyboard that lets you assign macros....

I've played since launch and I don't mind pressing a line of buffs... repetitive, sure... but so is masturbation... still we keep doing it.

Soulwalker

i didn't see the other thread that was about the bill.

I say let it happen. People spread strategies, tips, tricks, cheats, and all sorts of things which hurt the games and their communities. While giving free publicity to help line the pockets of these developers. Biased review sites which don't get brutally honest about the games flaws, and instead just give the games free-passes and generic good review scores.

Much of the mainstream influence has hurt a lot of video games.

It's a double-edged sword. Because this also does hurt honest people which aren't abusing or even under the intention to disgrace the games. There is also honest review sites and groups out there which get down to the reality and/or truth of these games. Just as there is people wanting to share their creativity.

I highly doubt the bill will pass, because the extent of this bill kills the ability for people to express creativity.

Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

Champion

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s978/show

Basically, you have to either make money from what you stream, or deprive the owner of money, to make this criminal. Take a breath. Trion, Blizzard, basically every game manufacturer out there, loves it when their content gets 9 million hits on YouTube. It is free advertising.
    I'm wearing my asbestos underwear. Flame on!
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0trix View Post
    So buy a keyboard that lets you assign macros....

I've played since launch and I don't mind pressing a line of buffs... repetitive, sure... but so is masturbation... still we keep doing it.

Your freedom of speech and creativity no longer exists the instant you use a copyrighted medium (music, video, etc). Therefore, the owner of the media can say whether or not they approve of your usage and can be as biased as they want about it.

The First Amendment does not protect people after committing copyright infringement and the consequences of such. Nor should it. It's no different than borrowing a friend's car and deciding you want it to be a different color without asking him. If he doesn't like it, you're going to be out a few thousand dollars. No question about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaelon View Post
    http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s978/show

Basically, you have to either make money from what you stream, or deprive the owner of money, to make this criminal. Take a breath. Trion, Blizzard, basically every game manufacturer out there, loves it when their content gets 9 million hits on YouTube. It is free advertising.
    Well, most copyright laws deal with civil matters. IE., if you get caught, you can be fined. Criminal cases generally involve jail time and/or optional penalties that stay on one's record for life. Civil charges do not. There's a difference between copyright infringement and things like embezzlement and slander.

Using an in-game avatar named Gandalf is copyright infringement and Tolkien's family could sue Trion if they allowed people to use names from J.R.R. Tolkien's novels. Nobody would go to jail over it but a court would decide whether or not to award monetary damages (most likely a cease and desist letter is all that ever comes from things like this unless the offender keeps doing it... then they get fined).

Now, if you violate a cease and desist order and instead jump from using Gandalf in-game to creating a chain of chicken nugget fast food restaurants named, "Gandalf's Magical Hobbit Nuggets" and misrepresented the business license by forging the copyright owner's signature in order to get consent to use the name.... then yeah. That's criminal.

This would affect turntable.fm , my fav music site. QQ

-Hai gusy, I made this pvp movie.
    -Sir, you are under arrest. Put down the mouse, scumbag
    -What did I do ?
    -The movie you posted on the internet contains songs belonging to Herpderp In Da House, which you are using without permission, scumbag
    -But...but...
    -Tell that to the judge!

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    -What did I do ?
    -The movie you posted on the internet contains songs belonging to Herpderp In Da House, which you are using without permission, scumbag
    -But...but...
    -Tell that to the judge!
    I love HDIDH.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 07-05-2011 at 01:08 PM.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    -What did I do ?
    -But...but...
    -Tell that to the judge!
    Lol, maybe we should go on a gaming lockout, seems to work for the NBA and NFL amirite?
    Onolawk - 60 Guardian Mage
    Former Maximation Raider

+ Reply to Thread