+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your take on Bill S.978? A big effect to the gaming community.

Default What is your take on Bill S.978? A big effect to the gaming community.

There is a bill that has been introduced last week; Bill S.978, which states the following:

"Makes unauthorized web streaming of copyrighted content a felony with a possible penalty of up to 5 years in prison. Illegal streaming of copyrighted content is defined in the bill as an offense that "consists of 10 or more public performances by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works" and has a total economic value, either to the copyright holder or the infringer, of at least $2,500. "
    This bill would devastate not only the gaming community but the internet as a whole entirely.

INFORMATION ON Bill S.978
    The Official Bill Information: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s978/show

I will be updating this post periodically with more information on this bill.

What is Trions take on this bill?
    Last edited by Gstringdiva; 07-02-2011 at 05:24 AM.
    <Why Do They Even Have Jobs> -
    Formally <stay small Nerds> of Briarcliff, #3 World Ranked!
    Gstringdiva - 50 Rogue, Kijsta - 50 Cleric
    Owner of RIFTNerds.com : The upcoming sensation in guides, tutorials, resources, and addons for Rift Gamers!

Shadowlander

I guess you missed the words "unauthorized" and "illegal"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Tidings View Post
    OH NOES THE SKY IS FALLING!!! I DIDN'T GET RAPTURED!!

This made me laugh. Do these idiots actually believe they could monitor this? They cant even handle software piracy and now they want to target streaming content as well? I'd love to see the idiots try. I'll be the first one laughing at them when they realize that such an endeavor cannot be done. Well... cannot be done without setting off riots. And heck, if they set riots off I'll be laughing even harder at them. You can't control what people (in a free country) do on the internet. You'll catch a few unlucky people but the rest will go on laughing right to your face. I have friends on facebook that chat about how many movies or songs they pirated, hell, I had one that was SELLING pirated movies on facebook. It can't be effectively monitored. Not in this economy, not ever. This is like the law in Milwaukee Wisconsin that states someone that is unpleasant looking can be arrested if he/she is out during the daylight hours. It's a law, but not one that is enforced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Gstringdiva View Post
    There is a bill that has been introduced last week; Bill S.978, which states the following:

This bill would devastate not only the gaming community but the internet as a whole entirely.

INFORMATION ON Bill S.978
    The Official Bill Information: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s978/show

I will be updating this post periodically with more information on this bill.

What is Trions take on this bill?
    Isn't the unauthorized use of copyrighted material basically theft?
    Minsc and Boo
    All time favorite RPG characters.

If I could edit my post to add more details, I have a lot of information and sources explaining detailed impacts this could or may cause. It's a bigger impact than you think. That would mean more than half of the youtube videos would be shut down, many companies or communities would be shut down, and way more impacts that I could list and make walls of text with.
    Owner of RIFTNerds.com : The upcoming sensation in guides, tutorials, resources, and addons for Rift Gamers!

Plane Touched

It makes me glad I don't live in the USA to be honest, I'll have to switch to sites hosted in countries which know the definition of the word freedom though, so a minor inconvenience.

It amazes me how willfully ignorant some people are though, still, democracy only works if the majority actually believe the polititions are actually working for the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Gstringdiva View Post
    If I could edit my post to add more details, I have a lot of information and sources explaining detailed impacts this could or may cause. It's a bigger impact than you think. That would mean more than half of the youtube videos would be shut down, many companies or communities would be shut down, and way more impacts that I could list and make walls of text with.
    Then maybe they shouldn't be using illegal material?
    The daemonic are without number, and their legions span the galaxy. But faith does not tire. Should it take us an eternity, the Ordo malleus will find and exterminate them all. - Lord Hephaestos Grudd

Expand your understanding.

DSP GAMING COMMENTARY ON BILL S.978
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hytigOSjJxc

UltaDavid from SFK gaming
    http://shoryuken.com/2011/06/29/trol...by-ultradavid/

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Verja View Post
    Then maybe they shouldn't be using illegal material?
    Having briefly looked at your post history I can only conclude you're being serious. I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

I wouldnt worry too much,

"Senator Amy Klobuchar", sponsor

"26 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 10 of 100) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 5 of 100)
    130 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 7 of 100) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 4 of 100)"

Even still, I don't see this ever getting through, it's ridiculous. Probably posted by some1 who doesn't know anything about gaming. Let's plays and live streams give games free publicity, which I can image developers and publishers only adore.
    Last edited by Nupzs; 07-02-2011 at 06:22 AM.
    Nwoopss (Defiant), Nupzs (Guardian) | EU Bloodiron
    <Art of War>
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 4/4 RoS | 3/10 HK

Plane Touched

I think theres a lot of misunderstanding about this (and its that lack of knowledge being banked upon to get this particular bill through).
    The issue isnt about using illegal material, it is about what the government defines as illegal. The new bill is so vague as to cover media that at the current moment isnt even a remote threat to copyright such as ingame video footage EG a video of you killing a boss.
    Game companies are normally in the mood to encourage this as its free advertising by the actual fanbase so they dont take action and demand said videos are removed. The bill will bring the government into the equation so that even if the game company is fine with it, the government can take action. Said action will now extend beyond a simple C+D letter and demand for cash - it will go into a criminal prosecution which can carry jail time.

There is the argument that its unlikely that the government will waste cash by prosecuting your average gamer posting a vid of them PvPing on Youtube - yeah its unlikely, but far from impossible.
    The massive effect that it will have is that few people would be willing to risk it. Its no longer a matter of a slapped wrist, but possible jail time if you get an overzealous prosecutor trying to make an example.

Think about how much we as a gaming community could lose just through motivation of fear.

Laws that are open to extremely wide interpretations rarely pass.
    Minsc and Boo
    All time favorite RPG characters.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Belila View Post
    I think theres a lot of misunderstanding about this (and its that lack of knowledge being banked upon to get this particular bill through).
    The issue isnt about using illegal material, it is about what the government defines as illegal. The new bill is so vague as to cover media that at the current moment isnt even a remote threat to copyright such as ingame video footage EG a video of you killing a boss.
    Game companies are normally in the mood to encourage this as its free advertising by the actual fanbase so they dont take action and demand said videos are removed. The bill will bring the government into the equation so that even if the game company is fine with it, the government can take action. Said action will now extend beyond a simple C+D letter and demand for cash - it will go into a criminal prosecution which can carry jail time.

There is the argument that its unlikely that the government will waste cash by prosecuting your average gamer posting a vid of them PvPing on Youtube - yeah its unlikely, but far from impossible.
    The massive effect that it will have is that few people would be willing to risk it. Its no longer a matter of a slapped wrist, but possible jail time if you get an overzealous prosecutor trying to make an example.

Think about how much we as a gaming community could lose just through motivation of fear.
    This is so wrong it isn't even funny.

All this bill will do is change the way in which EULA's are written. If a company wishes to allow people to stream its content, then it will be listed as a provision in the EULA.

People need to start realizing just cause you buy a product doesn't mean you own it entirely. All you buy is a disk or download. All the information contained in that disk or download isn't yours.

This is mainly aimed at companies that are hosting streaming T.V. without paying anything to the companies that make the shows. People who are hosting music video streams without paying royalties. Stuff like that.

Using snippets of copyrighted material is permitted under Fair Use.

The OP failed to make his point; I don't see how this will effect the gaming community at all.

All I am seeing here is an update to existing laws to account for Internet streaming (versus radio transmissions or public exhibition). It's Lars Ulrich vs. Napster 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by xtorma View Post
    Isn't the unauthorized use of copyrighted material basically theft?
    no.

/10char
    Jaya
    Tertian of the <Children of Mechanus>
    Kaleida (Defiant)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast