+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the deal with flying mounts?

Default What is the deal with flying mounts?

I see a lot of negative post about flying mounts.

I see grunt responses, but no information as to why this would kill Rift and damn us all to hell.

I'm not fighting for or against them. I just want some rational reason as to why flying mounts are so bad.

When you respond, please explain in a logical way, as to what is so bad about flying mounts.

Thanks.

P.S. No, just saying it is bad is not a real reason.
    Last edited by Frakthefriendly; 07-02-2011 at 12:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exxyy View Post
    People acts like they know everything

Shadowlander

Having played wow from vanilla to Cataclysm I can say flying mounts did ruin the virtual world and made wow more of just a game than ever before.

As soon as you get a flying mount you never go back. You fly from one quest to another, ignore the environment, do not interact with NPC's or other players (it kills world pvp btw) and you no longer notice anything that changes.

Take Cataclysm for example. The devs completely re-designed Azeroth. Now I'm a quest ***** and they reset all the original quests while designing loads of new ones so I went back to every zone and did every quest again. The changes were many, some quite breathtaking. However most of the old redesigned zones were completely deserted of players. Only the new zones had a decent population but here again, once you got to fly this meant you skipped whole chunks.

That's why flying mounts are bad. They change MMORPG's from a rich and interactive virtual world into just a normal game.

Prophet of Telara

I think people want Flying Mounts for "Joust PvP".
    I really hate people.

Deal is simple. Right now Rift world is laughably small so flying mounts make no sense and will make world appear even smaller. When 2-3 expansions are out maybe then flying mounts would be of nay use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viln View Post

PvP is a test of manhood and most of you will fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Britomartus View Post
    Having played wow from vanilla to Cataclysm I can say flying mounts did ruin the virtual world and made wow more of just a game than ever before.

As soon as you get a flying mount you never go back. You fly from one quest to another, ignore the environment, do not interact with NPC's or other players (it kills world pvp btw) and you no longer notice anything that changes.

Take Cataclysm for example. The devs completely re-designed Azeroth. Now I'm a quest ***** and they reset all the original quests while designing loads of new ones so I went back to every zone and did every quest again. The changes were many, some quite breathtaking. However most of the old redesigned zones were completely deserted of players. Only the new zones had a decent population but here again, once you got to fly this meant you skipped whole chunks.

That's why flying mounts are bad. They change MMORPG's from a rich and interactive virtual world into just a normal game.
    If I understand you, you are basically saying all the old zones were pretty empty and you blame this on flying. Is that correct?

If so, couldn't it have just been most people were high level and were in the high level zones. After all, you could not fly until you were 60, right?

So, the low level areas would be filled with people who could not fly. So it would be more of a lack of low levels, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordan View Post
    Deal is simple. Right now Rift world is laughably small so flying mounts make no sense and will make world appear even smaller. When 2-3 expansions are out maybe then flying mounts would be of nay use.
    Okay, let me understand you. You think they are bad because you can get someplace faster in a world that does not take very long to travel through at the moment?

Don't portals do that? Aren't portals a good thing or do you think they are bad as well?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Britomartus View Post

+! The perfect answer

You only have to have played wow from the start to current day to know why flying mounts are a bad idea, why create such nice detailed environments if people are just going to hop from one quest to the other. Plus if you want any kind of world pvp (and I do) then you will hate flying mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frakthefriendly View Post
    Okay, let me understand you. You think they are bad because you can get someplace faster in a world that does not take very long to travel through at the moment?

Don't portals do that? Aren't portals a good thing or do you think they are bad as well?
    Yes but why add more faster ways to travel on top of portals when you can just zip from one part of the map to another? moreover portals still limit your travel to some extent but with mounts you can be at one end of the map from another in few minutes.

One of the major complaints against Rift is size of the world and if flying mounts are released this flaw will only become more obvious. I don't think that is a smarter move on part of Trion.
    Last edited by Gordan; 07-02-2011 at 01:03 AM.

lazy twinks raging because they got knocked off their free "skittish" turtle by a spider at level 9 so they just want to fly in a straight line on autorun to the destination instead of actually playing the game, working for the progress and appreciating the finer details of a close up environment and interactions with other players.

idk aye but i like the close contact with enemy of all kinds.
    this kind of flying solo in ignorant bliss mode isnt really a sociable thing to do and makes anything inbetween a complete waste of time
    Last edited by Pixel Monkey; 07-02-2011 at 01:05 AM.
    who took my names!

Quote Originally Posted by Gordan View Post
    Yes but why add more faster ways to travel on top of portals when you can just zip from one part of the map to another? moreover portals still limit your travel to some extent but with mounts you can be at one end of the map from another in few minutes.

One of the major complaints against Rift is size of the world and if flying mounts are released this flaw will only become more obvious. I don't think that is a smarter move on part of Trion.
    I hear you, but I think you are coming across a little bias. No offense. You feel the world is too small and it will feel smaller with flying mounts, right?

Okay, I get your view. I can't argue with your feelings, but I don't feel the same way.

However, I do understand where you are coming from. Thanks.
    Last edited by Frakthefriendly; 07-02-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Monkey View Post
    lazy twinks raging because they got knocked off their free "skittish" turtle by a spider at level 9 so they just want to fly in a straight line on autorun to the destination instead of actually playing the game, working for the progress and appreciating the finer details of a close up environment and interactions with other players.
    That is a mouth full. ;)

If I understand you, you don't want people to fly so they can appreciate the world more like you do.

Honestly, that does not seem like a sound reason. Just my opinion.

idk aye but i like the close contact with enemy of all kinds.
    this kind of flying solo in ignorant bliss mode isnt really a sociable thing to do and makes anything inbetween a complete waste of time
    I don't understand what you mean.

If I understand you, you don't want people to fly so they can appreciate the world more like you do.
    appreciate? from above?

flying mounts have a distinct effect on gameplay, and just because there are flying mounts in game X does not mean every game needs it - simply because not every game is the same.

Prophet of Telara

Rift is not designed for flying mounts. Rifts niche is that there could be a random RIFT and thus INVASION of enemies.

Flying mounts would destroy this niche.

End of story
    /thread
    Done
    Complete
    Wag The Dog...
    I really hate people.

Flying mounts cheapen the game. They make the world feel small, take away your sense of adventure and take away the mystery and allusiveness of the uncharted world. Plus, flying is just boring. Moving in a straight line from destination to destination with no obstacles. They would kill world PvP and invasions if you can just fly over all the invading rifts and mobs.

Anyway, I'm not worried. Rift is not likely to have flying mounts. The engine isn't really built for them.

I hear you, but I think you are coming across a little bias. No offense. You feel the world is too small and it will feel smaller with flying mounts, right?

Okay, I get your view. I can't argue with your feelings, but I don't feel the same way.

However, I do understand where you are coming from. Thanks.
    I have no idea how you think i am bias. I am just giving my opinion as to why flying mounts in such a small world makes no sense when you already have portals to zip around from one map to another. How much more faster travel can be in such small maps?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast