+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I will never again say laptops are worthless for gaming...

Default I will never again say laptops are worthless for gaming...

I just bought an ASUS G74SX with an i7 2630QM Sandy Bridge processor, 8GB RAM, nvidia GTX 560M (1.5GB GDDR5), 1.5TB HD. For $1199.

This thing is a beast. Every game I've played so far just screams at max settings. What a great deal. I highly recommend this laptop if you are looking for a smaller form factor than a tower. I am very pleased with this purchase.
    Oh mortal man, is there anything you cannot be made to believe?

Worthless? No. Inferior to a desktop in every way? Yes. Well except they are alot more portable.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Era
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Worthless? No. Inferior to a desktop in every way? Yes. Well except they are alot more portable.
    Go carry your full tower gaming desktop to a few LAN parties and you'll wish for a laptop. Trust me. Also, laptops aren't all what they used to be.
    Last edited by Era; 07-01-2011 at 02:09 PM.
    Era - Defiant - Byriel
    Former Owner of RiftLift

Pfft, real gamers use hand calculators for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Pfft, real gamers use hand calculators for gaming.
    Or ACTUAL guns/swords.
    127% of internet statistics are made up on the spot.

Never trust obscure quotes from famous people on the internet. -George Washington

Soulwalker

My buddy has that laptop. Screams so much faster than my recently built desktop. Granted I spent no more than 500, but I am very impressed.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Era View Post
    Go carry your full tower gaming desktop to a few LAN parties and you'll wish for a laptop. Trust me. Also, laptops aren't all what they used to be.
    Yo bro drop the mouse for 10 and pick up the dumbbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Era View Post
    I've never been to a nerd reunion so that isn't an issue for me.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Whytwulf View Post
    I just bought an ASUS G74SX with an i7 2630QM Sandy Bridge processor, 8GB RAM, nvidia GTX 560M (1.5GB GDDR5), 1.5TB HD. For $1199.

This thing is a beast. Every game I've played so far just screams at max settings. What a great deal. I highly recommend this laptop if you are looking for a smaller form factor than a tower. I am very pleased with this purchase.
    They are very difficult to keep cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Whytwulf View Post

I like people who list PC stats and don't list a single one that actually affects their gaming quality. CPU cache, CPU cache, CPU cache.

For PC gaming, you don't even need anything more than a dual core CPU so long as you have a minimum of 8gb L2/L3 cache on the chip and clock of 3.2 base speed. That's why you see 4 and 5 year old QX9770 server based chips outperforming most i7s on 3dMark scores. The Qx9770 for example is abase 3.2 quad core chip with 12MB L3 cache. It can be very safely overclocked to 5ghz (and you can even click it over on the BIOS to 4ghz without even having to upgrade stock cooling).

It still costs about 10x more than an i7 though... but what you need to be aware of is that for gaming you need 3 things: 4GB of RAM (NO MORE THAN THAT), a good GPU, and a minimum of an 8mb cache on your chip. If you have less than 8mb, it is something called a "budget" chip and isn't really up to the task for gaming.

*4GB RAM?! ARE YOU INSANE?! No... I'm not. Games, almost all of them, are 32-bit programs and by mathematics alone, cannot ever access any more than 2GB of your system memory under normal operating parameters. It is IMPOSSIBLE. Having more than 4GB is a great way to guarantee that you will spend a lot of money on something you will never... ever.... ever... use. The only time you will ever use > 2GB for a single program is if it has a memory leak. That's it.

If you are somehow eating up 2 more GB of memory with background processes... chances are you have a virus. I say this because my rig has 4GB of ram. Rift uses around 1.1GB and my 148 system processes use .5 GBs. I don't know too many people who have that obscene amount of processes.... but I do a lot of multitasking.

Back in the day, yes... more RAM meant faster speeds. This of course was back when people had 256mb of RAM and were upgrading to 512mb or maybe 1GB for obscene gaming power. Games can't use more than 2GB, so slapping on 8GB of RAM is like paying 300 dollars to a bum on the street. Neither of you will likely get anything out of the investment.

Ok /nerd off.

Quote Originally Posted by prsc View Post
    They are very difficult to keep cool.
    I was just about to chime in about that - my friend has one and it will suddenly start chugging really badly, and you've either got to alt-tab from anything graphics intensive or shut it down to let it cool off.

He bought one of those silly platform fans to rest it on, and it made no difference.

If you're ever trapped in the wilderness and freezing, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post
    I was just about to chime in about that - my friend has one and it will suddenly start chugging really badly, and you've either got to alt-tab from anything graphics intensive or shut it down to let it cool off.

He bought one of those silly platform fans to rest it on, and it made no difference.

If you're ever trapped in the wilderness and freezing, though!
    Invest fifty bucks in a Cool Pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    Invest fifty bucks in a Cool Pad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix
    /10characters

Rift Disciple

I play on a 17'' macbook pro. It's great, however it's an older model with a somewhat outdated graphics card. The new ones have better graphics, and of course real gaming laptops are even better.

A few issues, compared to a desktop PC:

They get hot. Your desktop also gets hot, but that one is stored somewhere under your desk or on the side, so who cares. However I never had over-heating issues, even at 90F room temp.

Unless you use a separate keyboard, it forces you into a somewhat weird position. In particular I'm left handed so I always have to change around all key binds etc. And of course you need a separate mouse, that's clear.

You can not adjust the screen location as good as for a desktop. And you don't get those awesome 20''+ monitors.

Ok, most of this can be overcome, with a combination of laptop stands, separate keyboard and maybe a separate monitor at home.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    I like people who list PC stats and don't list a single one that actually affects their gaming quality. CPU cache, CPU cache, CPU cache.

For PC gaming, you don't even need anything more than a dual core CPU so long as you have a minimum of 8gb L2/L3 cache on the chip and clock of 3.2 base speed. That's why you see 4 and 5 year old QX9770 server based chips outperforming most i7s on 3dMark scores. The Qx9770 for example is abase 3.2 quad core chip with 12MB L3 cache. It can be very safely overclocked to 5ghz (and you can even click it over on the BIOS to 4ghz without even having to upgrade stock cooling).

It still costs about 10x more than an i7 though... but what you need to be aware of is that for gaming you need 3 things: 4GB of RAM (NO MORE THAN THAT), a good GPU, and a minimum of an 8mb cache on your chip. If you have less than 8mb, it is something called a "budget" chip and isn't really up to the task for gaming.

*4GB RAM?! ARE YOU INSANE?! No... I'm not. Games, almost all of them, are 32-bit programs and by mathematics alone, cannot ever access any more than 2GB of your system memory under normal operating parameters. It is IMPOSSIBLE. Having more than 4GB is a great way to guarantee that you will spend a lot of money on something you will never... ever.... ever... use. The only time you will ever use > 2GB for a single program is if it has a memory leak. That's it.

If you are somehow eating up 2 more GB of memory with background processes... chances are you have a virus. I say this because my rig has 4GB of ram. Rift uses around 1.1GB and my 148 system processes use .5 GBs. I don't know too many people who have that obscene amount of processes.... but I do a lot of multitasking.

Back in the day, yes... more RAM meant faster speeds. This of course was back when people had 256mb of RAM and were upgrading to 512mb or maybe 1GB for obscene gaming power. Games can't use more than 2GB, so slapping on 8GB of RAM is like paying 300 dollars to a bum on the street. Neither of you will likely get anything out of the investment.

Ok /nerd off.
    Cool story bro. Rams cheap as ****, however.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast