+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another competitor goes FTP: Age of Conan's Unchained kicks off. Trion worried?

Default Another competitor goes FTP: Age of Conan's Unchained kicks off. Trion worried?

Age of Conan: Unchained is here, as is F2P and a lot of new content

Between WoW and Age of Conan going FTP recently, RIFT is staring at an awful lot of people who may not want to be paying for a mmo out there. (we know gamers are cheap) Potentially gamers coming from consoles.

Age of Conan going FTP is probably worse news for RIFT than WoW going FTP to Level 20. Why? Because of all the extra content and fixes they've done to their game. Plus, graphically and animation wise, AoC puts RIFT in the doghouse which few people dispute. They've also had two years to kick out most of their bugs and gameplay issues.

If their FTP model can grab people in, that could spell more trouble for RIFT trying to get new subs than WoW ever could.

This news may mean RIFT will have to adapt that FTP model sooner than they thought down the line just to compete.

WoW isn't F2P... it's a trial until level 20. Rift isn't F2P, yet it has a trial to level 15...

Many games have moved to a F2P model once subscription levels drop. While I do enjoy AoCs graphics and the fortress system in PvP... I'd be unlikely to ever go back. Rift has nothing to worry about. Especially considering that to get the full experience from AoC (F2P only allows you to create a few of the 12 classes, and limits many other things) players have to subscribe anyway.

Rift had a higher number of players to begin with and currently has almost 100 servers. AoC now has about 8 servers total, and had probably half the initial sales, then dropped hundreds of thousands of people after the first months.

Again, don't get me wrong, I did enjoy AoC for the year that I played... but it's not any threat to Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamol View Post
    WoW isn't F2P... it's a trial until level 20. Rift isn't F2P, yet it has a trial to level 15...

Many games have moved to a F2P model once subscription levels drop. While I do enjoy AoCs graphics and the fortress system in PvP... I'd be unlikely to ever go back. Rift has nothing to worry about. Especially considering that to get the full experience from AoC (F2P only allows you to create a few of the 12 classes, and limits many other things) players have to subscribe anyway.

Rift had a higher number of players to begin with and currently has almost 100 servers. AoC now has about 8 servers total, and had probably half the initial sales, then dropped hundreds of thousands of people after the first months.

Again, don't get me wrong, I did enjoy AoC for the year that I played... but it's not any threat to Rift.
    FTP to level 20 is FTP. It's not FTP to maximum level only.

If a game goes FTP, it's not trying to get back people it had that already paid for subs.. that's to get people who haven't played it, so whether you/I go back isn't their goal really. The FTP stuff we'd see was already done by us. So that's not important if you'd be likely to go back; that's not what FTP is designed for.

The thing for FTP is for someone who played another game, heard of AoC but never tried it. If the game is fun to them, it'll be like people in RIFT say.. server size doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 07-01-2011 at 06:42 AM.

AOC failed from the word go, Rift is still going strong.

EDIT: ALSO WOW IS NOT F2P! They Just have an endless trial...like warhammer.
    Last edited by Hoss616; 07-01-2011 at 06:59 AM.

F2P is an illusion. Their business model is to place a price on certain items a player needs, so that the player has a choice of either spending exorbitant amounts of time to get the items, or spending real money. It easily can cost far more than a regular subscription game. I've heard of people spending hundreds of dollars to gear up their toon.

I think the real advantage of F2P games is psychological. You don't pay a monthly sub; therefore, you don't feel like you're wasting paid game time if you take a couple of weeks off, or if you don't play every day.

Companies moving fully to F2P are taking advantage of that psychological effect. WoW hasn't really moved to F2P; a player who wants to accomplish something other than leveling endless alts to 20 (or making a level 19 twink) really will need to subscribe.

Edit: To add that I have read that F2P is actually gaining market share faster than subscription based games. But players would do well to analyze how much money they really spend on that F2P game; they're probably better off just subscribing.
    Last edited by Palvy; 07-01-2011 at 07:04 AM.

Ascendant

AoC is still thing in the past, AoC was so big fail I wonder if Funcom ever recover from it. They sold about 900k and let me say half of those left with angry face.
    Last edited by June; 07-01-2011 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss616 View Post
    AOC failed from the word go, Rift is still going strong.

EDIT: ALSO WOW IS NOT F2P! They Just have an endless trial...like warhammer.
    Key points:

1. Do they have to pay for it at all to play to Level 20? No.

2. Can they play for as long as they like once they hit Level 20? Yes.

So.. they play for as long as they like for free to Level 20. Sounds like FTP to level 20. Hmm..

'Trial' is just a description. If someone plays WoW to level 20 for six months, they aren't trying the game anymore, they've already tried it.

At that point, they are playing for free, regardless of how much content they are actually seeing. The people who have been playing WAR's 'Endless Trial' since November 2009 aren't still 'trying' the game two years later. They are playing it. Free.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 07-01-2011 at 07:36 AM.

WoW's new thing is a promotion, the idea is not to have people playing for long periods without paying. You are right, it gets new players in by giving them a taste of the game.

Age of Conan is different, they have a complete game without a subscription... with those on premium (subs) getting the full experience. This is to entice new players and to encourage old ones to return. This is F2P... WoW is just a free trial, as is Rift's trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamol View Post
    WoW's new thing is a promotion, the idea is not to have people playing for long periods without paying. You are right, it gets new players in by giving them a taste of the game.

Age of Conan is different, they have a complete game without a subscription... with those on premium (subs) getting the full experience. This is to entice new players and to encourage old ones to return. This is F2P... WoW is just a free trial, as is Rift's trial.
    Which is why I say AoC could be more dangerous than WoW's FTP.

That's only free to play forever to level 20 with WoW. AoC's could evolve into something like LOTROs where much more attempt to grab former players bored with the genre is a goal.

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock View Post
    FTP to level 20 is FTP. It's not FTP to maximum level only.

If a game goes FTP, it's not trying to get back people it had that already paid for subs.. that's to get people who haven't played it, so whether you/I go back isn't their goal really. The FTP stuff we'd see was already done by us. So that's not important if you'd be likely to go back; that's not what FTP is designed for.

The thing for FTP is for someone who played another game, heard of AoC but never tried it. If the game is fun to them, it'll be like people in RIFT say.. server size doesn't matter.
    FTP means the whole game is FTP. It's then usually supported my a gear store and/or an item shop.

I really hated AoC's animation, especially cast animations. Looks awful to me.

WoW's extenuated free trial is more likely to attract F2Pers or MMO newbies to games like LOTRO, EQ2, or now AOC because their free model is a lot more rewarding content-wise.
    PVPimpin' Ain't PVEasy!

Holla Holla Get Dolla

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock View Post
    LOTROs where much more attempt to grab former players bored with the genre is a goal.
    LOTRO sucks post FTP. I have a lifetime sub from launch and I've quit playing.

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew View Post
    I really hated AoC's animation, especially cast animations. Looks awful to me.
    Im sure you are mistaking it with something else. AoC has one of most flawless animations to date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvax View Post
    Im an R8 Cleric.
    1 Rogue can annihilate 2 healing clerics together-Cross healing doesnt work against a rog. .

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aemry View Post
    FTP means the whole game is FTP.
    Where's that written? Just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aemry View Post
    LOTRO sucks post FTP.
    Your personal opinion is duly noted.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 07-01-2011 at 10:07 AM.

double post so..

The weather is nice here today. Pretty sunny.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 07-01-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: double post

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast