+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How I hope Trion's new game will be

Default How I hope Trion's new game will be

Imagine TF2 Style gameplay over a large persistent world, with mini game based crafting - an in depth fun leveling experience, with Balance. Let's discuss:

The things I think an MMOFPS should have:
    Gameplay: First Person Shooter- This should be the focus of the game, using the Source engine or a very similar engine. Over a large persistent world. Bosses would have location based weaknesses - think metroid prime without auto targeting. So you fight a giant alien boss with jointed tentacles (random example) When he lifts up his arms, your 10 man raid focus fires his joints causing him to lose an arm and thus lose attack capabilities. Being a FPS, the game would be incredibly skill based, not so much gear or level based, but you could be a widely known sharpshooter with skills in long range weapons, or a great quick draw. You could even be a powerful and competent mage that uses the right elements at the right time.

Think, even in PVP, sneak attacks would be great, because your perspective is much different in First Person than Third.

(I'll stop for the moment and consider a few more ideas and let you all discuss what you think too)

What do you guys think would make an MMOFPS absolutely incredible?
    (I won't even go into crafting atm, I have long detailed opinions about that ;D)
    Last edited by wakeskaterX; 06-30-2011 at 05:53 PM.

I've always wanted to see this done well. There have been attempts and similar games, but none have worked so great. There's a f2p one on Steam.

Here's why I don't think this will happen soon:

1) Money - It's an unproven concept. The games that have come close so far have all failed miserably. If I walk up to some publisher and say, "Hey, I want to try to make a game in the genre that has never, ever been profitable or even critically successful. Give me money@!" they'll laugh me out of the building.
    2) It's hard - to do it right, you'll have to either avoid instances, or figure out some new way of instancing games that makes it more dynamic. Instances destroy persistence.
    3) Demand - Not too many folks are asking for it, and there aren't any industry trends to support it.

I Review games, and write about other stuff! Here's some recent examples:

Evasion moves, like rolling, jumping, dodging, and ducking. So that combat is even more reactive and skill-based. Different guns have different effects and all that.

And like you said, have characters with magic instead of guns.

If they could do an MMOFPS well, they'd get a lot of moolah.
    127% of internet statistics are made up on the spot.

Never trust obscure quotes from famous people on the internet. -George Washington

there isn't an industry because one hasn't been made yet. Of course people aren't going to think it's worth it until some one comes out with a game so amazing that everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

It has to be that amazing to be profitable. That's the catch22.

As it is, I hope they can get their funding and make a purely amazing game. And i hope they hire me >

Quote Originally Posted by wakeskaterX View Post
    there isn't an industry because one hasn't been made yet. Of course people aren't going to think it's worth it until some one comes out with a game so amazing that everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

It has to be that amazing to be profitable. That's the catch22.

As it is, I hope they can get their funding and make a purely amazing game. And i hope they hire me >
    I don't disagree. I'm just saying it probably will be a while.
    I Review games, and write about other stuff! Here's some recent examples:

+ Reply to Thread