+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Rift survive?

Shadowlander

Default Will Rift survive?

If you remember back in Jan/Feb there was all kinds of talk about RIFT being a WoW killer. I believe a significant portion (I'm talking 50%) of the WoW fanbase are ready to move on. But if you look at Rift, it failed to capitalize on the opportunity. WoW will likely have players counting in the millions for several more years, so even if another MMO heavy-wieght moves into town, WoW is in better shape than Rift, atm.

Trion sold $2M copies of while, but has been mum on the subscription base. Comments made by Trion indicate the subscription base is around 0.5 to 0.6M. As the 3 month subscription packages came to an end, Trion has had to consolidate servers, indicating that player-base did not reach projections. Realistically, Trion needed 2-3M subscriptions to truly make and impact in the market and survive the heavy-wieght MMOs which should be released around the time the 6 month subscriptions come to an end.

SWTOR will open big, and I seriously expect it to make the dent in WoW that many felt Rift was capable of doing. Bioware has developed some quality games, plus it has a built attraction to Star Wars fans which probably give it a subscription base larger than Rift, even if SWTOR is a bit of a stinker. GW2 may be different/original enough to make people say Rift or GW2, I want something a little bit different, a little less like WoW.

Trion needs something that no other MMOs have and they need to release it before SWTOR and GW2 hit. They need something that generates buzz and excitement, plus differentiates their game from WoW.

Really, as many have suggested Random Dungeons and Player Housing may be the two key items that (at a minimum) retain their current subscription base. Rifts and the Quantum Universe really set the stage nicely for "randomized" dungeons, as these places are constantly in flux. Personally, I'd like to see Rift survive but it doesn't look good if the the other two heavywieghts drop in September as projected.

No.

/10characters
    < Invictus >
    Nerissa - Cenii - Nausicaa - Elix
    Cleric - Warrior - Mage - Rogue
    Icewatch EU

Really depends on how they handle the game. basically if rifts tries to play it safe and be like the WoW it will fail thats the nature of the beast. However if they take a risk and it works than the game will more than likely survive.
    Last edited by Zackyd; 06-30-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zackyd View Post
    basically if rifts tries to play it safe and be like the WoW it will fail

If?

*10char
    "It always sound scarier when a hollerer talk soft."

Quote Originally Posted by x Ze x View Post
    If?

*10char
    yes, If. we are only 3 months in from release, its expected to play safe at first so to not have it fail at launch, hopefully the dev team has plans that are different than the current status quo. something that gives players a reason to play rift over other mmos. something besides just rifts and graphics. plus if they keep playing it safe, we could always flood the forums with threads wanting something different than the status quo >.
    Last edited by Zackyd; 06-30-2011 at 04:57 AM.

RIFT will survive with a medium-sized population. It's good enough as a hack and slash and grind and raid game to retain a fair numbers of players.

Blizz will help Trion by slowly killing WoW to make space for "Titan". That intent is obvious enough since the advent of Cataclysm. They'll regret that, as WoW is an unrepeatable miracle story.

GW2 and the other "new gen" games will attract mostly different demographics than RIFT - those who don't like so much the hack and slash and grind and raid gameplay.

Or so I guess.
    Last edited by Goodberry; 06-30-2011 at 04:59 AM.
    Never give a sword to a man who can't dance (Confucius)

I'd like to see it live on, even if I won't be on it.
    It became to much of the "same" so I even re-opened my wow a/c, no point starting over to grind when I got loads of high geared/high levels alrdy to grind with til something new appears (Won't say "better", just in case lol).
    To many broken promises & broken patches hurt things, low populations that never felt part of anything didn't help (Ahh, but you can move servers now... What? From RP to PVPRP? No thanks).
    No trials... No tricks... No traps... No EU-RP server? NO THANKS!

yes, If. we are only 3 months in from release, its expected to play safe at first so to not have it fail at launch, hopefully the dev team has plans that are different than the current status quo. something that gives players a reason to play rift over other mmos. something besides just rifts and graphics. plus if they keep playing it safe, we could always flood the forums with threads wanting something different than the status quo >.
    That's nonsense. Them playing it safe at launch was going against their own promotion of what Rift was going to be.

Their stall is very firmly set out, you're quite naive if you can't see that.

Shield of Telara

Ah yes, the brand name recognition card. Didn't work out that great for the likes of Age of Conan or Lord of the Rings. TOR won't be without it's mass exodus of spolied WoW addicts like every other game that's came out in the last 5 years. Every game has a gimmick but that doesn't guarantee anything.

As for Rift, will it every have 3 million subs? I doubt it. But what do yo define as success or failing? Does a game have to have millions of subscribers to be successful? That's a really weird standard considering there's only one Western game out of dozens and dozens of mainstream MMORG's that has done that and we all know what it is. Eastern games don't really count because they have as many people playing some of their f2p crap as there are total WoW players.

All I know is Trion doesn't give out numbers and the last thing they said about it was in a Podcast a couple months back that they were exceeding where they thought they would be at the time and that's they were totally happy. Sounds like they are realistic with their goals and happy with the results and that means they're posied to keep on with their gameplan. That's makes me content regardless of anyone's dreary opinions.

Rift Disciple missnightbutterfly's Avatar

Whenever I see threads like these, I just wanna shake those people..

is the same stuff over and over !!! stop with all those threads
    Last edited by missnightbutterfly; 06-30-2011 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by x Ze x View Post
    That's nonsense. Them playing it safe at launch was going against their own promotion of what Rift was going to be.

Their stall is very firmly set out, you're quite naive if you can't see that.
    well than call me naive ;) i still have hope, i may not believe that things will be totally different but i can hope for the devs to wake up and take a risk every now and again still i think the raiding of the forums would get the point across very well. lets give them 2 months to even hint on risk taken content, after that raids of the forum will ensue

edit: hell we could also flood the feedback in-game >:-)
    Last edited by Zackyd; 06-30-2011 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by missnightbutterfly View Post
    Whenever I see threads like these, I just wanna shake those people..

is the same stuff over and over !!! stop with all those threads
    I expect more from a nickname like yours.
    Last edited by Goodberry; 06-30-2011 at 05:06 AM.

well than call me naive ;) i still have hope, i may not believe that things will be totally different but i can hope for the devs to wake up and take a risk every now and again still i think the raiding of the forums would get the point across very well. lets give them 2 months to even hint on risk taken content, after that raids of the forum will ensue
    Well i'm not someone who wants games to die, just because i don't particularly like them or play them. (unlike so many wow haters on this forum lol)

So i hope you're right, and you get some nice improvements.

Either way, it's not as simple as dying or being super successful. A lot of old MMOs are still going with medium/lowish pops, so even in a worst case scenario Rift will certainly not "die".

Rift Disciple missnightbutterfly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goodberry View Post
    I expect more from a nickname like yours.
    I can let it rain with fairy dust if you'd like ! I just felt like the thread made the dust go like black raindrops

edit: hell we could also flood the feedback in-game >:-)
    Don't think so. All those who have serious issues with the game RIFT turned out to be will be gone in a matter of few months at most. The remaning will be quite happy. It's already showing.
    Last edited by Goodberry; 06-30-2011 at 05:12 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast